Greetings etiquette post vaccination

I’ve heard this and find it a bit unsettling, although I haven’t shaken hands with anyone in awhile, only in a business setting, and will avoid it if I can. Personally, I’d be happy to adopt the Asian custom of bowing, or just a respectful head nod.

With family and close friends, I tend to hug and/or kiss, and am fine with it, now that most if not all in my circle are fully vaccinated.
I've been to a few airports and Disney a couple times during the pandemic and even during this time it's still a surprise to me when a fellow male actually washes his hands after using the bathroom. I think they have lied to themselves that getting their fingertips wet and shaking them off as they walk out is good enough.

I'm a semi-retired woman so rarely run into anyone I need to shake hands with, I've never been a big fan of shaking hands. Being a woman, in most cases, if I don't stick my hand out first the man doesn't either so that's not much of a problem. Most women, even in a business situation don't shake hands with each other, or at least in my experience. I'm also not a hugger, my family never did the good-bye hug or the hello hug. Hubby's family does and they also do the "I love you" on the phone or when you are leaving after visiting. Again, my family doesn't do that. His family learned about 20 years ago to not do it to me, although they do forget sometimes and hug me bye and I'm ok with that. There are a few old friends that if I haven't seen them in awhile I will hug but haven't seen them since pre-Covid and am all shoted up so I'll probably hug them again when I do see them. I never had a problem even during the worst of the pandemic with anyone holding the door open or reaching for things for me, just didn't seem too much of a risk since masks were being worn and hand sanitizer was being used every 5 min.

Never been a fan of handshaking, and I don't offer my hand, but if someone wants to shake my hand I'll do so and then Purell as soon as it is feasible. I keep a small pump bottle in my purse (I've been a germaphobe for YEARS) and have gotten expert at reaching in for a squirt without drawing attention to myself.

Never been a fan of handshaking, and I don't offer my hand, but if someone wants to shake my hand I'll do so and then Purell as soon as it is feasible. I keep a small pump bottle in my purse (I've been a germaphobe for YEARS) and have gotten expert at reaching in for a squirt without drawing attention to myself.
yes. so i whispered to my hubby, go wash your hands and he did.

so i just think that's so uncomfortable. He put his hand out to shake it. then i wave? or i put my hand to fist bump into his hand? ugh. it's just so awkward
My dad taught me and I taught my kids that you don’t have to have physical contact with anyone you don’t want to including family. The same should apply to adults. It’s an archaic greeting and it’s not necessary. So yeah, just offer a fist bump instead. You’ll get used to it and honestly this person should be willing to accept that especially after the year plus we’ve had.

We're huggers. We continued to hug whenever we saw each other over the course of the last year. I'm very happy to not be a germaphobe. That said, I would never try to hug someone that wasn't a hugger.

so i just think that's so uncomfortable. He put his hand out to shake it. then i wave? or i put my hand to fist bump into his hand? ugh. it's just so awkward

A wave would be a good substitute if you are, like, 6' away from somebody.

But in the situation you describe, just be calm and honest. Say something like, "So sorry, but I'm not ready yet to shake hands with people. How about a fist bump instead?"

I like the idea of bowing. I never liked handshaking to begin with. I always hated at church the "meet and greet" stuff where everybody is supposed to get up and mingle for a couple minutes.

Someone at church yesterday went to shake my hand! I was so flustered. I just did an elbow bump instead.
Truly, even without covid, I feel no need to be shaking people's hands.

One of the greeters when I was coming out of church Sunday was wanting to shake everyone's hand. I just passed by as he extended his hand to me - I probably came across as rude, but I didn't want to shake his hand.

I try to just put my hand on my heart and sort of nod/bow towards them with a smile and a greeting. I've always hated shaking hands, not only because of germs but because some people squeeze so hard it is painful.

I really think if your not okay with shaking hands, or hugging or any physical contact, you should just stay home, and skip it if you feel like this...

My thought is are you really going to have fun, or relax if someone wants to hug you or touch you...if your worrying about someone touching you or wondering what if I make them sick or maybe they will make me sick, or recoiling back if someone try's to touch you, which can cause hard feelings.... I think that if your that unsure its just better to stay at home...

In our group, we are hugging, and handshaking... and hanging out... all vaccinated and moving forward...

I'll stick to this...

giphy.gif

I must admit I miss handshakes in the work environment, and say happily it was nice to shake hands with the son of a long time acquaintance who came to put a fence up in our back yard. I am very happy to walk away from hugging those several family members who made me uncomfortable and have already started working that into our new "normal" when seeing each other once a a year or so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter