Gratuity on DDP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose. However, it doesn't resolve the confusion that we see in reality, where many patrons really do feel that they can expect to go into a restaurant and walk out without leaving a gratuity. That's a Class 1 failure of the system to properly communicate the reality.
as a former waitress myself I can assure you that is more of an exception than a rule. Many will tip, but it may be a very minimal ammount as they are acustomed. My BIL thinks I tip way to much...they leave a $1 tip for each person in their party...They have a family of 5 so regardless the most you will get out of them is $5. I tip well...and for the places we go to often and the waitstaff tend to remain the same...they remember us and treat us like god's when we walk in...
My main concern would be for those CM's & the guest of disney that had previously been on the DDP and even though they have been told, reminded and almost had it tattooed on them...the dismiss the fact that the tip is no longer included on the DDP.

A lil off topic but felt like sharing...
the other day I took my kids out to eat. No big deal...until the bill came. I had used my debit card the day before and didn't put it back in my wallet and when I went to pay...it was gone. I had barely enough cash to cover the meal and I told the waitress I would be back to tip her. I dont think she believed me, but she was sweet enough and said oh dont worry about it...things like that happen. We paid our bill and left. That night I called the restaurant and spoke with the manager. I explained to her what I had done to this poor girl. She told me she had a shift the next day. So me and my kids drove back down there (mind you this was 30 miles 1 way and gas is $3.79 a gal here) and I went in and the girl was there. I waited until she could take a quick second and when she walked up to us she just smiled. I handed her a rahter nice tip (more than I would have the day before becasue I felt bad for doing her wrong) and she started tearing up....she couldn't believe I had actucally came back just to tip her.

My BIL thinks I tip way to much...they leave a $1 tip for each person in their party...They have a family of 5 so regardless the most you will get out of them is $5.
Holy cow. I feel for you. :grouphug:

Ok, so how do we do this:
I want to be able to give my server my room key for the meal and then afterwards charge my tip to my room, when he/she brings it back to sign (just like we do at every other restaurant), part of how much I tip is based off of how fast the check gets returned after giving my card, then I leave and they can get their tip through whatever arrangements have been made with their employer.

as a former waitress myself I can assure you that is more of an exception than a rule. Many will tip, but it may be a very minimal ammount as they are acustomed. My BIL thinks I tip way to much...they leave a $1 tip for each person in their party...They have a family of 5 so regardless the most you will get out of them is $5. I tip well...and for the places we go to often and the waitstaff tend to remain the same...they remember us and treat us like god's when we walk in...
My main concern would be for those CM's & the guest of disney that had previously been on the DDP and even though they have been told, reminded and almost had it tattooed on them...the dismiss the fact that the tip is no longer included on the DDP.

A lil off topic but felt like sharing...
the other day I took my kids out to eat. No big deal...until the bill came. I had used my debit card the day before and didn't put it back in my wallet and when I went to pay...it was gone. I had barely enough cash to cover the meal and I told the waitress I would be back to tip her. I dont think she believed me, but she was sweet enough and said oh dont worry about it...things like that happen. We paid our bill and left. That night I called the restaurant and spoke with the manager. I explained to her what I had done to this poor girl. She told me she had a shift the next day. So me and my kids drove back down there (mind you this was 30 miles 1 way and gas is $3.79 a gal here) and I went in and the girl was there. I waited until she could take a quick second and when she walked up to us she just smiled. I handed her a rahter nice tip (more than I would have the day before becasue I felt bad for doing her wrong) and she started tearing up....she couldn't believe I had actucally came back just to tip her.
Admittedly, I would have done the same thing in that situation, but I probably would have tried to make my trip back there worthwhile.

What servers and restraunts need to get through their thick heads of theirs, is that not everyone is gonna tip. Do you think my parents left any tips when I was younger, no.
"Thick heads"? It would not surprise me if a diner with that attitude relates it to the server, by action and attitude if not with words, and so would open themselves to service that is poorer-than-usually-given by that server. Self-fulfilling prophecy.

In the United States, tipping is not only customary but without tips, the servers earn less than a third of minimum wage. Tipping is PART OF THE COST OF RESTAURANT DINING, and always has been - one's parents or one's spouse's parents lifelong behavior notwithstanding.

bicker said:
The reality is that restaurateurs cannot unilaterally increase their prices 15%-20% and expect to maintain a healthy business.
It would be higher than that. There are other expenses involved in wages besides the actual wages - notably, taxes; SS; Medicare; any benefits related to one's earnings costing the employer more...

Sure they would. If people see a raise in the cost for a meal but know they dont have to leave a tip no longer because the waiters are getting a decent wage
Minimum wage and decent (livable) wage are two entirely different issues.

libinatorsmom said:
plus servers do get a base wage just for "showing up"
Yep. Less than $3 an hour. Whoopee!

themudd4 said:
copied from wikipedia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A tip (or gratuity) is an unrequired payment
Just for general information: Wikipedia's information is provided by anyone. Seriously. If you wanted to go onto that site and change this specific information, I'm relatively certain you can.

Just for general information: Wikipedia's information is provided by anyone. Seriously. If you wanted to go onto that site and change this specific information, I'm relatively certain you can.
Actually, I just did.

For YOUR INFORMATION, I used the term thick heads as a figure of speech. GOD get a grip and chill out!

Im VERY surprised that this thread is even still open. But I will say it again. TIPPING IS OPITIONAL. And if you dont agree with that, I suggest you look the word up OPITIONAL. Its is NOT mandatory. If it was, restraunts would automatically charge you a certain amount, just like they do for large parties of 6 or 8 or more. Which IMHO, is WRONG. Restraunts cant automactially just assume that the waiter is gonna do a good job. I was talking to my mom yesterday. She was a waitress a long time ago when I was younger. Even though she appreciated the tips, she DID NOT EXPECT THEM. And thats whats wrong with waiters today. They EXPECT tips. Its like the old saying, expect the unexpected. You cant expect to get a good tip, or a tip at all. Tips should be like a gift. A present. An award. When you get one, it should be a surprise. NOT AN EXPECTATION!

Well Im saying this now. You can flame me all you want and I wont care. Because personally I dont judge my decisions by what others tell me and I dont listen or care what people think of me. If I EVER go to a restraunt. Weither it be here locally or in WDW or wherever. If that waiter is asking me how much Im gonna tip or how Im tipping, thats just showing me they are expecting one. I will tell them straight off. Because they assume they are getting a tip, now they wont be getting one. Once again, EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED. And if they have a problem with it, I will take it up with managment and tell them straight off that they need to teach their waiters what they are saying to their customers. They shouldnt be asking how much they are tipping or how they are tipping. And if they say it does matter, that will be 1 less restraunt we will visit. And if ALL TS places do this to me when Im in Disney, well I guess we just wont be eating at those places anymore. Im giving them money. And if they think they can walk all over a customer and tell them what is expected or what to do, they have another thing coming to them.

"Thick heads"? It would not surprise me if a diner with that attitude relates it to the server, by action and attitude if not with words, and so would open themselves to service that is poorer-than-usually-given by that server. Self-fulfilling prophecy.

In the United States, tipping is not only customary but without tips, the servers earn less than a third of minimum wage. Tipping is PART OF THE COST OF RESTAURANT DINING, and always has been - one's parents or one's spouse's parents lifelong behavior notwithstanding.

It would be higher than that. There are other expenses involved in wages besides the actual wages - notably, taxes; SS; Medicare; any benefits related to one's earnings costing the employer more...

Minimum wage and decent (livable) wage are two entirely different issues.

Yep. Less than $3 an hour. Whoopee!

For YOUR INFORMATION, I used the term thick heads as a figure of speech. GOD get a grip and chill out!

I'm VERY surprised that this thread is even still open. But I will say it again. TIPPING IS OPITIONAL. And if you dont agree with that, I suggest you look the word up OPITIONAL. Its is NOT mandatory. If it was, restraunts would automatically charge you a certain amount, just like they do for large parties of 6 or 8 or more. Which IMHO, is WRONG. Restraunts cant automactially just assume that the waiter is gonna do a good job. I was talking to my mom yesterday. She was a waitress a long time ago when I was younger. Even though she appreciated the tips, she DID NOT EXPECT THEM. And thats whats wrong with waiters today. They EXPECT tips. Its like the old saying, expect the unexpected. You cant expect to get a good tip, or a tip at all. Tips should be like a gift. A present. An award. When you get one, it should be a surprise. NOT AN EXPECTATION!

Well Im saying this now. You can flame me all you want and I wont care. Because personally I dint judge my decisions by what others tell me and I dint listen or care what people think of me. If I EVER go to a restaurant. Weither it be here locally or in WDW or wherever. If that waiter is asking me how much Im gonna tip or how Im tipping, thats just showing me they are expecting one. I will tell them straight off. Because they assume they are getting a tip, now they wont be getting one. Once again, EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED. And if they have a problem with it, I will take it up with managment and tell them straight off that they need to teach their waiters what they are saying to their customers. They shouldnt be asking how much they are tipping or how they are tipping. And if they say it does matter, that will be 1 less restraunt we will visit. And if ALL TS places do this to me when Im in Disney, well I guess we just wont be eating at those places anymore. Im giving them money. And if they think they can walk all over a customer and tell them what is expected or what to do, they have another thing coming to them.

Sorry but your mom is the exception, when I give good service I do expect to be tipped. HELLO!!!!!! I am making 2.13 a hour do you really think I want to wait on someone for practically nothing?? You are right there are people in the real world that won't tip no matter what and they know its customary with good service. But the classy nice people make up for the stiffers and small tippers of the world. Also I would never ask for a tip upfront, but if you told me you were not going to tip me no matter what, you would get your tipless service you asked for!!!

Im VERY surprised that this thread is even still open. But I will say it again. TIPPING IS OPITIONAL.
As is restaurant dining. Tipping is an expected part of the cost of table/buffet service in the United States. Those choosing not to tip (e.g. those who think $2.63 per hour is a living wage AND enough for someone serving them to earn) should seriously reconsider their options.
And, "thick head" is not a figure of speech; it's an insult.

What I find so confusing is how vigorously some people oppose the obligation to tip restaurant servers, while some other people (presumably) vigorously insist that there is such an obligation to tip housekeepers. It seems to me sometimes like the world's-turned-upside-down. :confused:

Whew I've read the whole thread and see this is a HOT topic!! So Iwill put in my 2 cents worth!! I went solo in Feb and always tipped very well. At Boma the server was a sweetheart she explained the buffet to me and made reccommendations , kept my drink refilled frequentlt.. Excellent service! She told me that her tips were way down , I asked her, not that she volunteered this. She said since they removed the tip frommddp many left no tip!! At Le Cellier the waiter told me that it had been embarassing for the servers to explain tip was not included but that it was getting better !! Again he was great! At Mama Melroses the table next to me got down right nasty about tip not being included, the manager the chef and the server were all trying to explain . They insisted that as they booked in 2007 it was still included. I felt so bad for that waitress and when she came to my table quietly told her I knew about tipping, she looked relieved !! I do not like the automatic tip for parties over 6 I still think we should be able to tip according to service. One last comment .. any clues on what the changes in ddp in 2009 will be??

We should know about the big changes for 2009 (if there will be any) by the beginning of August at the latest.

What I find so confusing is how vigorously some people oppose the obligation to tip restaurant servers, while some other people (presumably) vigorously insist that there is such an obligation to tip housekeepers. It seems to me sometimes like the world's-turned-upside-down. :confused:
Well, I figure - anybody who's performing a service for me (getting and serving my meal so I can relax; cleaning my room; moving my luggage) DESERVES more money than their base pay - and yes, that includes positions where the person earns minimum wage or higher.

And as a decision for one's self, I see nothing wrong with that. The issue I'm raising is when that gets applied to someone else. For restaurant servers, that application of obligation on to someone else makes sense, IMHO, because those people are in tipped positions, and the service patrons are paying for is priced based on the expectation that patrons will live up to the obligation to provide gratuities. For housekeepers, that application of obligation doesn't make sense, IMHO, because those people are in non-tipped positions, and the service patrons are paying for is based on the expectation that patrons won't tip. (Did that make better sense? :confused: )

And as a decision for one's self, I see nothing wrong with that. The issue I'm raising is when that gets applied to someone else. For restaurant servers, that application of obligation on to someone else makes sense, IMHO, because those people are in tipped positions, and the service patrons are paying for is priced based on the expectation that patrons will live up to the obligation to provide gratuities. For housekeepers, that application of obligation doesn't make sense, IMHO, because those people are in non-tipped positions, and the service patrons are paying for is based on the expectation that patrons won't tip. (Did that make better sense? :confused: )

I understand what you are saying..

Ok, no flames please :) This question may not have already been asked, but I didn't find it anywhere. I appoligize if it has :thumbsup2 If you have the Deluxe DDP, is gratuity included? I read somewhere that it is included at CRT and HDDR, and was just curious. Thanks in advance! :)

Ok, no flames please :) This question may not have already been asked, but I didn't find it anywhere. I appoligize if it has :thumbsup2 If you have the Deluxe DDP, is gratuity included? I read somewhere that it is included at CRT and HDDR, and was just curious. Thanks in advance! :)

No its not included, but yes on the CRT and HDDR it is.. I hope this makes sense, at other restaurants its not included but on these two places it is..

As heated and emotional as some of the posts on here are, last year the big issue was, "Oh, we hate having the tip included in the DDP -- the servers treat us like second class citizens, they already know they are getting a hefty 18% so they totally ignore us, we got terrible service because they don't have to work for their tip, etc." This year -- was it on this thread? -- I have even read, "We aren't on the DDP, but the server treated another table with the DDP better than us because they knew that with dessert added in the total check would be higher..." :rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl: For the record, we got excellent service on the DDP last year, no complaints -- and I'm not happy the tip was excluded this year. It's just more money out of my pocket, but oh well, can't change it, it is what it is. :confused3

People from different backgrounds and different parts of the country or different parts of the world have really different attitudes toward tipping. Arguing about it here is not likely to significantly change anyone's mind.

The facts are:
~Tipping is the accepted custom in the United States. Like it or not, barbaric or demeaning, or whatever you think it is, it's the way it works here.

~Some servers like that they work for tips, because if they are really good at their job, and their patrons are generous, they can make a good wage.

~Servers in the US typically make much less than the standard minimum wage because it is expected that they will be tipped -- and they are TAXED by the government whether or not they are tipped.

~Servers usually have to share a portion of their tips with bussers, hosts, etc.

~The customary percentage varies depending on the part of the country, but in busy touristy areas -- like WDW -- the typical tip is 18% for good service. That's the amount that used to be included in the DDP, and that's the amount automatically added to DDE bills and for parties of 6 or more.

~It is not illegal to refuse to tip. It may not be nice, fair, ethical, or polite, but it's not illegal.

~If you refuse to tip, or tip poorly at a WDW restaurant, you will probably get away with it. Unless your service was horrible, it's a really mean thing to do to your server, but since you probably won't be back for at least a year...they won't remember you. If you refuse to tip or tip poorly at a neighborhood restaurant you frequent...well, that's a different story. I can't imagine stiffing the wait staff on a regular basis, and then expecting them to provide good service. Or trusting them to handle my food before I see it :rotfl2:

Good facts but you seem to have left out 1. Its seems like no matter what Disney does, not everyone is happy. Waiters didnt like the automatic tipping. Some waiters did. Customers HATED the automatic tipping. Some customers loved it. This yr, some waiters hate not having automatic tips and some love it and same goes with customers. Seems like not everyone can be pleased. To me the whole DDP should just end. That way no one can complain why tipping isnt included anymore. Waiters dont have to worry about explaining how the DDP works and what they can get. Waiters dont have to worry about asking how they are gonna tip. Seems like the DDP is becoming more and more of a hassle then a good thing. It might have been a good deal in the past, but like the old saying - All good things must come to an end. And the DDP should just come to an end already. And who knows. Maybe then we can go back to NOT having to make ADRs 180 days in advance. We can actually just go to WDW with no ADRs and do a walk up.

As for the whole tipping issue, everyone is gonna have different opinions on tipping and I find it pointless to argue about it. Im not gonna change anyone's minds, everyone else cant change anyone's mind, and etc. One of my friends NEVER tip. Because she feels that she shouldnt have to give money to a stranger. And that its not her responsbility to have to worry about how that person pays their bills, buy food, etc. She believes that waiting tables should be for high school and college kids. People who want/need money, but if they dont come home with $1000 a month in tips its no big deal. I wouldnt say she's selfish because she does care about other people and not just herself. But she doesnt feel the need to have to give her hard working money to someone else just so they can pay for whatever. She did make a good point. We dont know exactly what their tip money is going to. It could go to food, gas, bills, etc. But it could also go towards paying for cigarettes, drugs, alcohol. And I for one would hate to see the money I gave to a waiter blow it on stupid usless stuff like drugs. But anyways, she has her own bills to that need to get paid for. And yes, she is also the type that believe just because you cant pay for a tip doesnt mean you cant go out to eat. Point is to my story, I couldnt change her mind even if its the last thing on earth. Which applies to everyone else. Stop worrying about what others are doing and just do your own thing. If you saw someone jump off a bridge, would you feel the need to have to follow them and jump off a bridge to? If you wanna tip 10%, 15%, 20%, etc. you go for it! If you dont wanna tip at all, you go for it. If everyone did the exact same thing in this world, no one would be different. No one would have their own thought process.

As heated and emotional as some of the posts on here are, last year the big issue was, "Oh, we hate having the tip included in the DDP -- the servers treat us like second class citizens, they already know they are getting a hefty 18% so they totally ignore us, we got terrible service because they don't have to work for their tip, etc." This year -- was it on this thread? -- I have even read, "We aren't on the DDP, but the server treated another table with the DDP better than us because they knew that with dessert added in the total check would be higher..." :rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl: For the record, we got excellent service on the DDP last year, no complaints -- and I'm not happy the tip was excluded this year. It's just more money out of my pocket, but oh well, can't change it, it is what it is. :confused3

People from different backgrounds and different parts of the country or different parts of the world have really different attitudes toward tipping. Arguing about it here is not likely to significantly change anyone's mind.

The facts are:
~Tipping is the accepted custom in the United States. Like it or not, barbaric or demeaning, or whatever you think it is, it's the way it works here.

~Some servers like that they work for tips, because if they are really good at their job, and their patrons are generous, they can make a good wage.

~Servers in the US typically make much less than the standard minimum wage because it is expected that they will be tipped -- and they are TAXED by the government whether or not they are tipped.

~Servers usually have to share a portion of their tips with bussers, hosts, etc.

~The customary percentage varies depending on the part of the country, but in busy touristy areas -- like WDW -- the typical tip is 18% for good service. That's the amount that used to be included in the DDP, and that's the amount automatically added to DDE bills and for parties of 6 or more.

~It is not illegal to refuse to tip. It may not be nice, fair, ethical, or polite, but it's not illegal.

~If you refuse to tip, or tip poorly at a WDW restaurant, you will probably get away with it. Unless your service was horrible, it's a really mean thing to do to your server, but since you probably won't be back for at least a year...they won't remember you. If you refuse to tip or tip poorly at a neighborhood restaurant you frequent...well, that's a different story. I can't imagine stiffing the wait staff on a regular basis, and then expecting them to provide good service. Or trusting them to handle my food before I see it :rotfl2:

To me the whole DDP should just end. That way no one can complain why tipping isnt included anymore. Waiters dont have to worry about explaining how the DDP works and what they can get. Waiters dont have to worry about asking how they are gonna tip. Seems like the DDP is becoming more and more of a hassle then a good thing. It might have been a good deal in the past, but like the old saying - All good things must come to an end. And the DDP should just come to an end already.
It's an option, not a requirement. Nobody HAS to purchase the DDP. Guests who consider it a hassle or too much trouble or whatever can just pay cash for their food.

We dont know exactly what their tip money is going to. It could go to food, gas, bills, etc. But it could also go towards paying for cigarettes, drugs, alcohol.
Oh, please. That's asinine. Does the person who pays YOU judge where you're money's being spent, and decide whether/how much to pay you based on his or her assumptions on your budget? TIPPING IS AN EXPECTED PART OF THE COST OF DINING IN A RESTAURANT WHERE SOMEBODY SERVES YOU. PERIOD. Change your mind, don't change your mind, whatever. But don't use ridiculous or trumped-up excuses to avoid tipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter