Grandsons getting ears pierced

I can remember when boys didn't use to get their ears pierced, anyway.

So I suppose for you letting your teen son have his done just recently would have seemed an entirely natural thing to let him do, then? :)

There used to be a time when women didn’t get their ears pierced either.

It’s not “natural” for anyone to have pierced ears. It’s a modification people choose to do because they like the way it looks. Just like cutting your hair or wearing makeup. Those have also changed over the years and from one culture to another for both men and women as to what has been fashionable.

My DH is the only guy I ever went out with who didn’t have an ear piercing. Heck my dad’s friends had piercings. For reference we’re 53 and my dad would have been 71 in April. I’ve never thought anything about it. If my DS wanted to get his ears pierced I’d take him to get them done just like I did my girls.

If a grandparent had a problem with it they’d just have to get over it. I got my first tattoo at 35 and every time my grandma saw it she’d act all surprised like she’d never seen it before. Then she’d shake her head sadly and tsk. I would just laugh but some grandkids might not blow it off so grandparents might do well to keep their opinion about such things to themselves.

There used to be a time when women didn’t get their ears pierced either.

It’s not “natural” for anyone to have pierced ears. It’s a modification people choose to do because they like the way it looks. Just like cutting your hair or wearing makeup. Those have also changed over the years and from one culture to another for both men and women as to what has been fashionable.

Honesty, and I'll say it, I don't really "get" peirced ears on men or women. I don't really understand punching a hole in myself to hang jewelry from, and I don't necessarily find it attractive (not unattractive either but I don't see the need). I get some people like it and like to do it, and that's fine for them, but it sure isn't for me!

My DH is the only guy I ever went out with who didn’t have an ear piercing. Heck my dad’s friends had piercings. For reference we’re 53 and my dad would have been 71 in April. I’ve never thought anything about it. If my DS wanted to get his ears pierced I’d take him to get them done just like I did my girls.

If a grandparent had a problem with it they’d just have to get over it. I got my first tattoo at 35 and every time my grandma saw it she’d act all surprised like she’d never seen it before. Then she’d shake her head sadly and tsk. I would just laugh but some grandkids might not blow it off so grandparents might do well to keep their opinion about such things to themselves.
Well, yes. Like you say, women getting tattooed, seems like it's what's done now, isn't it? and young men and boys getting their earrings put in is something that they do now, right?

(And I suppose your ds now knows you would take him to have his done if he chose it.)

I suppose I "get" the sad face on my post, but I should add that my Godson is African-American and it's part of his culture around my way for young black boys to have both ears pierced as babies. We try to keep him as much in tune with his background and traditions as we can.

Like you say, women getting tattooed, seems like it's what's done now,
I don’t get what you mean by “done now.” I‘m female, and I had my first tattoo done 20 years ago while in college. A lot of my female friends had them back then (and still get them). A woman getting tattoos wasn’t a new thing then, and 20 years ago certainly wasn’t recently. I knew plenty of guys with piercings in the 90s, which again wasn’t yesterday.

I suppose I "get" the sad face on my post, but I should add that my Godson is African-American and it's part of his culture around my way for young black boys to have both ears pierced as babies. We try to keep him as much in tune with his background and traditions as we can.
Actually, most of the young men and boys at our local church seem to wear earrings also. Seems like among some demographics it's especially the thing that they tend to do, right? I admit that for some ppl when someone in the family has it done for the first time it does sometimes take a bit of getting used to. But I do suppose now it's become a custom that is regarded as the really manly thing to do now... :)

My little Godson had his ears pierced for his first birthday last year. A picture...I *may* have been the one to buy his 1st Birthday clothes, but you'd never guess.

pnUB0kxzp
He is super cute! Who ever sad faced this sucks.

He's absolutely adorable, and anyone (like me) who had their son circumcised can't object to a parent's choice to pierce a child's ears. Just because they wouldn't do it (and I wouldn't either, but it's not my tradition) doesn't mean no one should. He doesn't have to wear earrings when he gets older if that's his choice; circumcised boys can never get that particular piece of their anatomy back.

I don’t get what you mean by “done now.” I‘m female, and I had my first tattoo done 20 years ago while in college. A lot of my female friends had them back then (and still get them). A woman getting tattoos wasn’t a new thing then, and 20 years ago certainly wasn’t recently. I knew plenty of guys with piercings in the 90s, which again wasn’t yesterday.
I like your post, I like the way you wrote that; you're right, yes.

My husband had an earring when I met him in high school, 36 years so. I loved it. I wouldn't mind if he still wore one but he let it close up.

That is what I was thinking. I was born in 1973 and all the guys had their ears pierced in high school. All of them are grown up now and in their late 40s , early 50s and are normal human beings. OP, this is nothing new and your child's generation all had their ears pierced. Of all the things to "worry" about, this is nothing.

That is what I was thinking. I was born in 1973 and all the guys had their ears pierced in high school. All of them are grown up now and in their late 40s , early 50s and are normal human beings. OP, this is nothing new and your child's generation all had their ears pierced. Of all the things to "worry" about, this is nothing.
No worries.

:)

Well, yes. Like you say, women getting tattooed, seems like it's what's done now, isn't it? and young men and boys getting their earrings put in is something that they do now, right?

(And I suppose your ds now knows you would take him to have his done if he chose it.)
I don’t get the “now” thing either. These things have been common for decades. My best friend’s nephew had long hair and an earring when he was five or six. I don’t think any of us thought anything about it. I know more guys who have earrings than those who don’t. Same with women and tattoos. Ages are all over the map.

Of course my son knows I’d take him if that’s what he wants. The last thing I want my kids doing is being stupid like we were and doing it themselves.

I don’t get the “now” thing either. These things have been common for decades. My best friend’s nephew had long hair and an earring when he was five or six. I don’t think any of us thought anything about it. I know more guys who have earrings than those who don’t. Same with women and tattoos. Ages are all over the map.

Of course my son knows I’d take him if that’s what he wants. The last thing I want my kids doing is being stupid like we were and doing it themselves.

Yeah, that boggled my mind too. Has the OP not left her house in the last 30 years? Sorry if Op is an agoraphobic, no insult was intended, just some humor.

I saw a picture recently that someone took of Morgan Freeman while he was vacationing in our town, I was completely surprised that he had at least one of his ears pierced. Not sure why it surprised me, I guess because he seems old as dirt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter