Grand Villa or 2BR plus studio for big trip?

quandrea

DIS Veteran
I’m in the process of allocating points for many upcoming trips.

In June 2020, I’m taking my three kids—dd 16 (at time of travel), dd and ds, 10; my best friend and her two daughters, 12 and 18; and my other dear friend to see Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge.

Debating a grand villa. We own at AKL, would love to shift to BWV at 7 months. Also considering OKW. Riviera may be on the table once we know more.

...Or I could save points and book a two bedroom plus the studio for my single friend.

Love the idea of the GV, but it’s a lot of points. Thoughts? What accommodation would make the best trip. Want it to be really fantastic.

Grand Villas at OKW are a deal, and are HUGE. I've stayed in the GV's at Kidani as well and love them too. If I count correctly, you have 8 people total? And 3 adults in the group?

Grand Villas at OKW are a deal, and are HUGE. I've stayed in the GV's at Kidani as well and love them too. If I count correctly, you have 8 people total? And 3 adults in the group?
Yes. Eight people. My friend’s daughter will be 18, so four adults, four children. The nice thing with the Gv is that each party will have a private bed and bath, but we will have the common areas for hanging out. That is really enticing. Putting my single friend in her own studio doesn’t seem quite as fun.

OKW Grand Villas are a steal. How hard are they to secure at 7 months, I wonder. We will be going June 25-30, 2020. Just not sure about transportation at OKW.

OKW Grand Villas are a steal. How hard are they to secure at 7 months, I wonder. We will be going June 25-30, 2020. Just not sure about transportation at OKW.

Like SSR, OKW has a lot of GV's, I think 26. If that's not right, it's very close. :cutie:

I have never found the transportation at OKW to be what is sometimes what folks think. For instance, I've stayed twice at GFV, and HATED the bus service there. It was a good hike to the one and only bus stop on the far side of the hotel, and the wait for buses was awful IMO. And to make it worse, after we finally got a bus? They had to make a stop at the Poly too. :crazy2:

OKW has boats to DS, and their buses do not stop at any other resorts. ONLY the OKW bus stops. There is an internal bus if you are located far from HH (which I much prefer, I love to be as far from HH as possible), OR if you want to go to HH you can simply hop on any bus going anywhere as its last stop is at HH. One thing I know for sure about OKW.... people seem to either love it or really not like it. Kind of like with AKV I think. For my points bang, the extra room, the laid back feel after a fun but hectic day in the parks, OKW remains my favorite resort at WDW. And I've stayed at all of them. JMHO. :D

Like SSR, OKW has a lot of GV's, I think 26. If that's not right, it's very close. :cutie:

I have never found the transportation at OKW to be what is sometimes what folks think. For instance, I've stayed twice at GFV, and HATED the bus service there. It was a good hike to the one and only bus stop on the far side of the hotel, and the wait for buses was awful IMO. And to make it worse, after we finally got a bus? They had to make a stop at the Poly too. :crazy2:

OKW has boats to DS, and their buses do not stop at any other resorts. ONLY the OKW bus stops. There is an internal bus if you are located far from HH (which I much prefer, I love to be as far from HH as possible), OR if you want to go to HH you can simply hop on any bus going anywhere as its last stop is at HH. One thing I know for sure about OKW.... people seem to either love it or really not like it. Kind of like with AKV I think. For my points bang, the extra room, the laid back feel after a fun but hectic day in the parks, OKW remains my favorite resort at WDW. And I've stayed at all of them. JMHO. :D
You make it sound great. We’ve stayed at OKW many times, often with a car. I do love it and look forward to trying it post renovation. I’m thinking I’ll try for the OKW grand villa. If that doesn’t work out, I’ll go with the 2BR and studio elsewhere. I don’t think I can burn through the required points to secure a Gv at any Resort other than OKW.

You make it sound great. We’ve stayed at OKW many times, often with a car. I do love it and look forward to trying it post renovation. I’m thinking I’ll try for the OKW grand villa. If that doesn’t work out, I’ll go with the 2BR and studio elsewhere. I don’t think I can burn through the required points to secure a Gv at any Resort other than OKW.

:cutie: :cutie: :cutie: Well, I do unabashedly love OKW, lots of great memories from when my kids were little. :love: But I do know it's not for everyone. But I can do a GV there for a full week for no more than I can do a 2 bedroom at some DVC resorts. And they are super nice. And big! :D

OKW GV's can be difficult to get in June at 7 months out; BWV GV's are usually not available at 7 months out (and only pool/garden view is usually open at 7 months out for a studio and 2BR). SSR GV's are usually open, likewise CCV and VGF, and a chance for BLT lake view. With the 11 month window, you might consider reserving one of the two standard view GV's at AKV Kidani. There are only two of them so reserve early. Those two GV's are next to each other on the Pembe Savanna (no giraffes), and have the extra queen pull-out and TV in the alcove at the top of the stairs, and you actually do get to see animals (there are walk-throughs on youtube which do not mention they are standard view, see www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy38d42R_2o&t=227s and youtube.com/watch?v=31lNSVRzelc.

OKW GV's can be difficult to get in June at 7 months out; BWV GV's are usually not available at 7 months out (and only pool/garden view is usually open at 7 months out for a studio and 2BR). SSR GV's are usually open, likewise CCV and VGF, and a chance for BLT lake view. With the 11 month window, you might consider reserving one of the two standard view GV's at AKV Kidani. There are only two of them so reserve early. Those two GV's are next to each other on the Pembe Savanna (no giraffes), and have the extra queen pull-out and TV in the alcove at the top of the stairs, and you actually do get to see animals (there are walk-throughs on youtube which do not mention they are standard view, see www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy38d42R_2o&t=227s and youtube.com/watch?v=31lNSVRzelc.
Thanks for chiming in and for the link. I will definitely be booking Kidani at 11 months out to secure a room regardless of the seven month outcome. I assumed BWV would be tough for a Gv at 7 months. I have points allocated for the pool view 2be/studio. Bottom line though—for my party, is a Gv the way to go—regardless of points? I have plenty without borrowing, it just stings a bit.

Thanks for chiming in and for the link. I will definitely be booking Kidani at 11 months out to secure a room regardless of the seven month outcome. I assumed BWV would be tough for a Gv at 7 months. I have points allocated for the pool view 2be/studio. Bottom line though—for my party, is a Gv the way to go—regardless of points? I have plenty without borrowing, it just stings a bit.
Up until this September, the only GV we ever booked has been a Beach Cottage, and what a great experience that has been. This September we have a GV at Aulani for a week for 6 people, there were 7 coming, but one had to cancel. I think the GV Experience will be definitely worth it, and I did have to borrow a lot.

Bottom line though—for my party, is a Gv the way to go—regardless of points? I have plenty without borrowing, it just stings a bit.

Many, many years ago, I went from staying in a studio all the time to trying a 1BR. After doing so, I vowed never to go back to a studio. Thereafter, for many years I stayed in 1BRs and 2BRs all the time. I then reached the point of having not just children but grandchildren, so about six years ago, I took my first trip to a GV (BWV). mainly to see if it was better than getting two rooms. All I can say now is that, if I had enough points, I would never go back to something as diminutive as a 2BR. I have now had four trips to a GV, twice at AKV (once in the standard) and twice at BWV (own at both). The GV's are just way better than the smaller rooms when taking eight or more.

Many, many years ago, I went from staying in a studio all the time to trying a 1BR. After doing so, I vowed never to go back to a studio. Thereafter, for many years I stayed in 1BRs and 2BRs all the time. I then reached the point of having not just children but grandchildren, so about six years ago, I took my first trip to a GV (BWV). mainly to see if it was better than getting two rooms. All I can say now is that, if I had enough points, I would never go back to something as diminutive as a 2BR. I have now had four trips to a GV, twice at AKV (once in the standard) and twice at BWV. The GV's are just way better than the smaller rooms when taking eight or more
Sounds like I have my answer!

I'll give you the opposite take. I've stayed in BWV Grand Villas a few times, and my take is that it depends.

If everyone gets along great, and your friend's parenting style is compatible with you, GV are really nice.

But Disney can bring out the worst in people - long days in the park with the heat and the constant drain on your wallet can lead to short tempers. Watching someone ditz around the room in the morning if you want to hit the parks at opening can be annoying. Being exhausted and just wanting to sleep while someone else wants to stay up late at night talking loudly can make you question the definition of friendship.

I'm an introvert. After years and years, my family knows how to deal with it, my friends who haven't lived with me only have seen me "on" and don't get the "off" time.

Consider carefully the personalities and styles of the party. Not only ask the question "will I be able to put up with them" but also ask "will they be able to put up with me - and each other." If you have people sleeping on the pullout in a GV, then your together space will also be someone's bedroom. That person won't get "away space."

And don't count on a BWV Grand Villa at seven months - we've always booked ours eleven months out - and one time waited until 10 1/2 and had problems in late August.

I'll give you the opposite take. I've stayed in BWV Grand Villas a few times, and my take is that it depends.

If everyone gets along great, and your friend's parenting style is compatible with you, GV are really nice.

But Disney can bring out the worst in people - long days in the park with the heat and the constant drain on your wallet can lead to short tempers. Watching someone ditz around the room in the morning if you want to hit the parks at opening can be annoying. Being exhausted and just wanting to sleep while someone else wants to stay up late at night talking loudly can make you question the definition of friendship.

I'm an introvert. After years and years, my family knows how to deal with it, my friends who haven't lived with me only have seen me "on" and don't get the "off" time.

Consider carefully the personalities and styles of the party. Not only ask the question "will I be able to put up with them" but also ask "will they be able to put up with me - and each other." If you have people sleeping on the pullout in a GV, then your together space will also be someone's bedroom. That person won't get "away space."

And don't count on a BWV Grand Villa at seven months - we've always booked ours eleven months out - and one time waited until 10 1/2 and had problems in late August.
Point taken. I’ve traveled with all these people before to WDW. We get along great. My best friend parents just like me and my other friend is the world’s best aunt. No plans to put anyone in the pullout, as I think it’s important that everyone has their own bath, bedroom and door they can close. I agree with BWV and assumed as much. I’d book my home resort at eleven months and go from there.

You raise important points though. In January I went to WDW with my daughter’s best friend and her mother (also a friend). She parents very differently from me and has anxiety issues beyond what I had seen prior to the trip. It was a long five days in that two bedroom villa. Never again.

Point taken. I’ve traveled with all these people before to WDW. We get along great. My best friend parents just like me and my other friend is the world’s best aunt. No plans to put anyone in the pullout, as I think it’s important that everyone has their own bath, bedroom and door they can close. I agree with BWV and assumed as much. I’d book my home resort at eleven months and go from there.

You raise important points though. In January I went to WDW with my daughter’s best friend and her mother (also a friend). She parents very differently from me and has anxiety issues beyond what I had seen prior to the trip. It was a long five days in that two bedroom villa. Never again.

Yep, we've done it and had a lovely time - another family in the same Grand Villa or Two Bedroom. And we've done it and I've been near to dumping a body into Bay Lake by the end of the trip. I think I'm likely to err on the side of caution now and just book extra rooms rather than share my space.

Yep, we've done it and had a lovely time - another family in the same Grand Villa or Two Bedroom. And we've done it and I've been near to dumping a body into Bay Lake by the end of the trip. I think I'm likely to err on the side of caution now and just book extra rooms rather than share my space.
This made me laugh so hard!

We’ve done BWV GV’s a couple times for a large group and it worked out great. It was nice having everyone in on place, no need calling another room, you ready yet? But I would guess trying to get a GV at BWV would be hard to get since IIRC there are only 7 or 8 of them.

As others have mentioned, it really depends on how you get along with the other family, but if you get along well, then I give another vote for GV. We've done a GV at Grand Californian, AKV, and BLT with another family or relatives, and it's great. The kids can hang out with the other kids much more easily when we're all together. The adults can hang out together more easily while the kids are asleep, or they can alternate going out to the parks while the other parents stay and watch the kids (though maybe not an issue with your kids since they are much older than ours).

Up until this September, the only GV we ever booked has been a Beach Cottage, and what a great experience that has been. This September we have a GV at Aulani for a week for 6 people, there were 7 coming, but one had to cancel. I think the GV Experience will be definitely worth it, and I did have to borrow a lot.

The GV's at Aulani are spectacular, bobbiwoz! Haven't stayed in one YET, but just booked for next year for a week in an OV GV! Yippee!!! But I HAVE been inside the OV GV model at Aulani more than once. Gorgeous and the lanai's are enormous!!! With perfect sunset viewing!

We love the Beach Cottages at Vero! They are the reason I added on a couple of Vero contracts many years ago. :rolleyes:

What I love about GV's is that everyone does have their own private space and their own bathroom. I am with drusba on the GV's. SO much room. Good points made by several PP about being sure you can tolerate the folks staying with you in the GV. :laughing:

One of the bedrooms in the OKW GV only has two double beds, not queen beds. It's a small bedroom with a small bathroom as well.

If you haven't put in a request yet please request top floor, you won't be disappointed. The balcony runs the length of the GV. When we arrived at the villa with bell services he was totally amazed, stated he had never been in a GV and couldn't believe the beauty. Have a wonderful trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter