Grand Floridian DVC Info, Speculation, and Update Thread - Part 1!

I really want to know the advantage of a low point addon at VGF vs buying more points resale, if you just buy 50pts I would only get Home Resort priority reservation for my 50pts which will allow you to book like 1 night at 11 months out what good is that, I never understood the advantage of low point addons at another resort???

I really want to know the advantage of a low point addon at VGF vs buying more points resale, if you just buy 50pts I would only get Home Resort priority reservation for my 50pts which will allow you to book like 1 night at 11 months out what good is that, I never understood the advantage of low point addons at another resort???

You can bank and borrow those points. So that 50 points can turn into 150 every 3 years. You get 2013 points and bank them to 2014. Then in 2014 you use your 2013 points and your 2014 points and borrow your 2015 points. You can have a nice trip in 2014 and book it 11 months in advance. Then you only have to pay dues on 50 points.

This is a great option for us since we already have 200 points (150 at SSR and 50 at AKV). We could do GF every 3 years and still use our other points for our annual Disney trips.

You can bank and borrow those points. So that 50 points can turn into 150 every 3 years. You get 2013 points and bank them to 2014. Then in 2014 you use your 2013 points and your 2014 points and borrow your 2015 points. You can have a nice trip in 2014 and book it 11 months in advance. Then you only have to pay dues on 50 points.

But you're still paying dues on those points in 2013 and 2015! DVC isn't waiving the fees just because you bank or borrow.

But you're still paying dues on those points in 2013 and 2015! DVC isn't waiving the fees just because you bank or borrow.

I think they meant vs. purchasing a 150 point contract, which is really the amount they were using for the trip.

Of course, I know that! I didn't say you only pay dues on 50 points in 3 years! :lmao:

Paying dues on 50 points is much cheaper than paying dues on 150 points per year! That was my point :thumbsup2

I think they meant vs. purchasing a 150 point contract, which is really the amount they were using for the trip.

Oh, of course! I should have realized that, since my first plan with DVC was to buy 50 points resale, and bank and borrow. Of course, I wound up buying 170 points, and then a year later 150 points.

After seeing the rumored map of the Poly DVC units, it looks like the VGF & the northermost DVC Polynesian buildings would be pretty close to each other. This got me thinking - since the VGF is at the far end of the GF property area, about how long do you think it would take to walk from the VGF to the TTC? Shorter or longer than the walk from BLT to MK?

EDIT: To answer my own question... from the VGF to the location of the rumored north building of the Polynesian DVC (VDP, PV, or whatever they might call it) is about one tenth of a mile. From the VGF to the TTC is about seven tenths of a mile, or a 13 minute walk according to Google.

Sooooo..... that northern building won't be much further from the TTC than the VGF is.

Secondly, the walk from BLT to the MK is .4 miles, or 8 minutes. So, the walk from VGF to the TTC is longer than the walk from BLT to the MK entrance by a distance of 0.3 miles - or roughly the same distance as from the turnstiles to Space Mountain.

Hmmmm.... very doable, but both walks might be a tad long for kids, the elderly, or those who are tired at the end of a long day.

However, to put it another way - if like staying at the Poly because it's closer to the TTC, but you end up at one of the northern Poly longhouses (especially if the new DVC building goes as rumored), then it's not really any further to the VGF.

A while back, I remember hearing (don't recall if it was on this thread) that the VGF would be offered for sale as points, but that there would also be an option of purchasing a specific fixed week of the year (so you are guaranteed a specific room and view type for a specific week every year). Apparently, this is an option for Aulani.

But since the announcements of VGF, I haven't seen any offer like this. Has anyone else seen this, or heard about it from their sales guide?

A while back, I remember hearing (don't recall if it was on this thread) that the VGF would be offered for sale as points, but that there would also be an option of purchasing a specific fixed week of the year (so you are guaranteed a specific room and view type for a specific week every year). Apparently, this is an option for Aulani.

But since the announcements of VGF, I haven't seen any offer like this. Has anyone else seen this, or heard about it from their sales guide?

Yes it is an option and several popular fixed week units have already been sold including the GV at Christmas. Check out the other VGF threads where the fixed week option is discussed.

:earsboy: Bill

What year is the contract end date?

I'd look it up but member website is down for maintenance at Noon. Really??

Yes it is an option and several popular fixed week units have already been sold including the GV at Christmas. Check out the other VGF threads where the fixed week option is discussed.

Interesting. When I first read your statement, I thought you were saying all six GVs had been purchased for the week of Christmas. And I imagined a lot of very ticked off people who were buying points in hopes of some day getting a GV for Christmas.

Then I found reference to a DVCNews article saying the fixed week purchases would be limited to 35% of a given room/view type. So do you mean one of the six has been sold? Or two of the six GVs (making 33%) have been taken for that week?

Am I missing something?
Christmas week is 1419 points. At $145 per point, the cost is $205,755. Add MF of $5, and you pay $7095 per year for the use. So it's $1,000 per day without even amortizing the purchase cost!
Wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to just buy a house?

Am I missing something?
Christmas week is 1419 points. At $145 per point, the cost is $205,755. Add MF of $5, and you pay $7095 per year for the use. So it's $1,000 per day without even amortizing the purchase cost!

Well that's depressing. Or I'm envious of those able to make such a purchase.
I didn't even do the math on the GV since I know that's a pipe dream unless one of nice people invite me along.

Am I missing something?

What a deal really. That week at GF:

Reg room $1048 ($7,336 week)

1BR suite sleeps 4 $2,048 ($14,336 week)

2BR suite sleeps 8 $3,123 ($21,861 week)

carlbarry said:
Am I missing something?

Actually, if you take it as a fixed week, it would be 1561 points, due to the 10% up charge.

Actually, if you take it as a fixed week, it would be 1561 points, due to the 10% up charge.

OK, I stand corrected. That means the cost is $226,345. Amortize that over the 51 years of the contract, and that comes to $4,438 per year. Add in MF of (currently) $5.41, and that is $7,676 per year. So the cost to stay there a week is $12,114, or $1730 per day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter