Got an email from Disney I'm not sure I understand

Curious ... have they ever allowed folks to have a cash deposit on their accounts the MB can tap in to? I know folks have asked about doing this because they don't want to use a CC ... but I don't remember an answer. If this is new, could be a big plus for some.
That is the same point I brought up earlier in the thread too. This would allow people to put cash down in advance for the first time ever. Something folks have wanted to do. So yes, it would be a change many have asked for.

Not a fan of this. We like to pay cash. I read a book that cited studies that showed people spend more when they use non-cash options than when they use cash...something about spending cash registered more "pain" in the brain than non cash options...interesting concept.....

and our kids always take their own money to spend at disney. they love having control of their dollars and coins!!!:)

I read on another site that yes, people making dining reservations (not just resort guests staying at Jambo House) are being made aware of the change as all goods and services at the resort other than tipping will be cashless during the pilot. It will be for all guests, not just those staying at the resort.
I'm sure I'm not the first to say "don't trust everything you read on the Internet" which is ironic as I'm posting this on the Internet too but,
I have a Boma ADR for 2/17 (test begins on 2/12), not staying at AKL and have not gotten any notification that I can not use cash at the ADR.
It's possible they haven't sent them out yet but I don't know why they wouldn't have sent them all out at the same time.

I have a Jiko reservation during my stay and they haven't sent a separate email to me about not using cash there. They might mention it at check in?

I have a Jiko reservation during my stay and they haven't sent a separate email to me about not using cash there. They might mention it at check in?
They could (and probably will) but that is a bit late to let someone know

It costs them money to process credit card transactions as well.

Less than we would think, I am sure that Disney gets great rates. Bottom line this makes them more money compared to accepting cash or they wouldn't be doing it.

:earsboy: Bill

Someone has probably mentioned this, but do the WDW resorts have ATMs? If there's a no-cash rule, the guest did not bring cash, but can get money from an in-house ATM...Another fee they can collect!!!:jumping2:

Someone has probably mentioned this, but do the WDW resorts have ATMs? If there's a no-cash rule, the guest did not bring cash, but can get money from an in-house ATM...Another fee they can collect!!!:jumping2:
They do.

ETA - Disney doesn't own the ATM so they don't collect the fees. They are Chase ATM

Last edited:
Basically, it slows things down to have a customer count out their cash and then cashier count out change. They can push more people through by swiping a card or tapping a band/phone.

Less than we would think, I am sure that Disney gets great rates. Bottom line this makes them more money compared to accepting cash or they wouldn't be doing it.

:earsboy: Bill

I really doubt this is a money saving thing. It is probably just makes logistics easier and allows lines to move more quickly.

If WDW doesn't accept cash, they don't have to:
  • count-out drawers at the beginning and ending of each shift
  • transport money to the bank
  • manage the amount and variety of change in the drawers
There are probably more small benefits like this as well. These things surely cost WDW *something*, but it is such a small amount that I doubt the money saving alone would account for the change. It probably has something to do with everything I mentioned above, plus speeding up the lines, plus motivating guests to use the Magic Bands, etc.

Credit card/MB only lines move much quicker than cash lines.

When it's cash that person is digging through this purse or wallet to find that $20 they just knew they had, or find exact change, or "oh wait I have two pennies so you can just give me back a quarter."

But you will have to buy the gift card elsewhere. Can't use the cash to buy a gift card at the AKL.

This test is going to fail, if you ask me. What is supposed to happen when their "systems go down" which we all have seen happen.

When their systems go down, they are unable to accept cash, as well!
We know because on our last night all of WDW went down whilst we were @ the California Grill. We had an amount comped to our room which would have covered all of our bill except $7.
The CA Grill manager was able to get the comped amount put thru on our bill(called AKL
concierge).

When we returned , we tried to give $7 cash to the front desk to clear our bill before we checked out the next mornibg(we had used ALL gift cards & NEVER charged to our room).
They could NOT take our cash as their computerized system could NOT process it!

Early the next morning, our credit card was charged for the $7 room balance.

Personally, I do not like if they do away with cash.
Yes! --we used Gift Cards last time which was totally awesone(especially as we got them through the Target Red Card for a 5% discount ).

We don't use Debit Cards,
plus I have heard if they are compromised, that you are NOT protected like a credit card is!
For real life, we use cash often.
Of course one does not want to carry around a lot of cash,
but I don't like that they might take away the option!
Especially as credit card skimming could easily happen @ WDW,
it's nice to pay cash if you don't want to charge on your Magic Band.

NOT allowing cash definitely affects OFF site guests--they can't charge to their room!
We ran out of gift cards @ the Biergarten (we were staying off site; we had purchased an extra $200 plus on our gift cards, prior).
With NO credit card on us,
we had to pay cash for the tip.
Again, we purchased a ton of gift cards to AVOID EVER giving a credit card (to avoid skimming);
getting rid of cash option throughout WDW would hurt offsite Guests for sure!

They do.

ETA - Disney doesn't own the ATM so they don't collect the fees. They are Chase ATM
Yeah but...I can't think Disney gives up any real estate at WDW or allows anyone else to make money and they aren't getting their beak wet. I'm sure the financial details with Chase & Disney are pretty intricate. If Chase is keeping all the ATM fees you can bet Disney is making up for it somewhere else in their arrangement.
But hey, that's what businesses do, they're supposed to make money and be successful. I don't have a problem with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter