Got an email from Disney I'm not sure I understand

Going cashless won't affect my family since we are already almost cash free. I didn't even give it a second thought at first, but after reading a couple of threads where people are not happy about this, I think they should have given much earlier notice before rolling this out. Most people book their Disney trips 12+ months in advance, and telling them if they don't like this, show it by not staying there is not fair. They can't just rebook so easily with such short notice, especially the DVC people. I think the best option for cash customers is to put the money on your account at check in. We charge everything using our magic bands, and I payoff the balance with gift cards, can this be done with cash? I don't know how they can handle off site guests that don't have the option of putting money on room account and don't want to buy a gift card, and how to give them notice of this cashless test in advance.

My daughter is taking her own money for her wants at Disney. In the past we have used a gift card for her, but I told her this time she was going to use cash so she can get practice with counting out cash and coins. They are trying to eliminate a teaching opportunity!!

I haven't followed along this entire thread. I know that "kids" were discussed. But how about teens? I don't have teens anymore, so don't know how they pay for things. They don't have credit cards at 16 or 17. Do most kids have a debit card these days attached to a savings or checking account or something? Seems like the teens would be a huge spending segment at WDW.

Teens often have bank accounts with debit cards. They typically are early adopters, too, so are likely to use NFC payments on their phones.

Teens often have bank accounts with debit cards. They typically are early adopters, too, so are likely to use NFC payments on their phones.

That's kind of what I figured. They probably think it's cool to flash their phone to pay, or whatever is the most modern. Guess I'm gonna have to get onboard, too.

Disney is the only place I haven't been able to use my chip and pin in the US. We were there last fall and it wasn't working at that time.

Wasn't there a deadline for banks to provide these cards...last year. Sorry, only one cup of coffee this a.m. and very little sleep last night.
The US is using chip and signature, not chip and pin, for the most part. Quite a few merchants have terminals that are encrypted for chip and pin, and if your card issuer requires a pin the terminal will accept it, but the US banking system made the choice to go with signature, not pin.

I haven't followed along this entire thread. I know that "kids" were discussed. But how about teens? I don't have teens anymore, so don't know how they pay for things. They don't have credit cards at 16 or 17. Do most kids have a debit card these days attached to a savings or checking account or something? Seems like the teens would be a huge spending segment at WDW.

My kids have had credit cards since 14. I got them ones on my account. Much safer than debit cards.

The US is using chip and signature, not chip and pin, for the most part. Quite a few merchants have terminals that are encrypted for chip and pin, and if your card issuer requires a pin the terminal will accept it, but the US banking system made the choice to go with signature, not pin.
AMEX, Mastercard and Discover will no longer require signatures as of April 2018.

AMEX, Mastercard and Discover will no longer require signatures as of April 2018.
Yeah but unless something else changes they don't even give an option to enter a PIN either. Which is really what the point was of that particular question from the PP. The US system, while is reading a chip, is not using a PIN, like overseas.

I understand this. There has been no requirement for signatures on approximately 80% of all transactions (trans under $50), since 2010. Most merchants have continued to require them. The reason most businesses want signatures is that they have no protection from chargebacks (disputes) without the signature. To date, it has been the merchant's choice to take the risk when going with no signature. When they sign up for it, they are warned that they are taking that chance. I have no idea how these new changes will play out. My guess is not much will change until business owners are protected when no signature is obtained.

Visa too, around the same time.

A retailer can still decide to keep the signature measure in place (although I can't imagine they would want to). I wouldn't expect this to be a magic switch country wide in April. Many retailers will still require signatures until they update their point of sale system. It may take a while.

We still have retailers not accepting chip.

Many people get upset when they see a terminal still not accepting chip and think it is the law that retailers use them now. It's not, the famous deadline the public knows was just a change in liability. If you aren't using chip, chargebacks from disputed charges come straight to you.

I understand this. There has been no requirement for signatures on approximately 80% of all transactions (trans under $50), since 2010. Most merchants have continued to require them. The reason most businesses want signatures is that they have no protection from chargebacks (disputes) without the signature. To date, it has been the merchant's choice to take the risk when going with no signature. When they sign up for it, they are warned that they are taking that chance. I have no idea how these new changes will play out. My guess is not much will change until business owners are protected when no signature is obtained.

I haven't talked a ton with our accounting people at work but from what I understand the dispute process will no longer have them asking for a signature from the retailer. Retaining signatures from visa, mc, etc. Will be unnecessary to respond to a dispute. This saves retailers from a lot of grief and expense maintaining digital catalogues of all those signatures... kinda silly when they don't prove anything. Just a squiggly line drawn on a pin pad that anyone could've done.

Looking at things like; did the chip fail and the card had to swipe? Was it manually keyed? Etc. Will be way more effective than asking for the squiggly line. I'm excited for the change :yay:

I’m always a little confused for a moment when I travel to the US and they ask me to swipe my card and sign. It’s chip and pin or tap in Canada- you only swipe and sign for rare issues

Bottom line using a credit card is much safer than carrying cash that can be lost or stolen with no recourse.

Losing the month’s grocery money because I was stupid taught me a long-needed lesson in keeping track of my personal belongings. Fwiw. It also taught me to not keep the months grocery money on my person. Which I thought I knew.

If you’re staying onsite you can allow the kids to charge to the room FYI.

I don't know how they can handle off site guests that don't have the option of putting money on room account and don't want to buy a gift card, and how to give them notice of this cashless test in advance.

Agreed.

My daughter is taking her own money for her wants at Disney. In the past we have used a gift card for her, but I told her this time she was going to use cash so she can get practice with counting out cash and coins. They are trying to eliminate a teaching opportunity

She can count it out to you and pay you, then you pay the cashier with card or band.

I skimmed the thread, but I don’t think that I read this. Another reasoning could be internal theft. For example the CHH employee pocketing false refunds from cash payments last year.

I agree that I don’t see this sticking around, but I can see some reasons they wanted to try it.

I skimmed the thread, but I don’t think that I read this. Another reasoning could be internal theft. For example the CHH employee pocketing false refunds from cash payments last year.

I agree that I don’t see this sticking around, but I can see some reasons they wanted to try it.

So true.
I was just talking to a friend in retail, and I was surprised that the handling of cash hasn't changed much since I worked retail 30 years ago. It's tedious!
But I can't see it working either. Too many international customers, people who can't read the rules, just so many different people. Hard to get them in line. Usually what Disney wants, Disney gets, though, so I really will be curious to see how this unfolds!

DH asked this morning whether I had heard anything about AKL not taking cash, and I haven’t. I tried searching the AKL thread itself and didn’t turn up anything there but did find this thread.

I know the new policy just started a couple of weeks ago, but hopefully some on these boards have had some experience. How is this “experiment” working out?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter