Give me your best advice to save me from foot pain

I alternate shoes and wear good-fitting performance socks, like running socks. The socks are a big help. I have a hard time with socks when I sleep but after I get back to the room and shower I put on compression socks, they sometimes stay on all night, and sometimes I end up taking them off ( I am not totally convinced this helps, but doesn't seem to make things worse).

I usually wear either Hokas Clifton or Transport or Brooks Ghost sometimes my Adidas ultraboosts. If we go back to the hotel for a mid day break I will switch shoes, either to the other walking shoe or occasionally my Birkenstock sandals.

I do bring blister bandaids and moleskin in case I have a problem but generally don't need to use either.

I'm not going to give shoe brand recs, because honestly, I've found that it depends on the foot. (Like I'm the odd person out, because most running/walking shoes are the ones that give me the worst trouble. I wear VANS or Nike SB Chron, because for some reason skateboarding shoes work best on my feet. Really just depends on your feet and your gait, and everyone is so different.)

In any case, I have TERRIBLE feet problems and have my whole life, but here are a few of the things that help me on long park days:

1) Dr. Scholl's Massaging Gel Insoles (https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Scholls-Comfort-Massaging-Insoles/dp/B01M9GSSJW) - available at many retailers, not just amazon - I finally broke down, realized I'm no longer 18 years old (more like 40+) and got these for my shoes this summer and it was a GREAT choice. Last trip was two busy and very hot days in the park, and while my feet and legs were still a little sore, it wasn't even near what it would be without them. (Also, I normally would have a sore back and very sore calves after two full park days, but I didn't have either of those things after using the insoles).

2) Preheels Barefoot Scientist Blister Prevention Spray (https://www.amazon.com/PREHEELS-Blister-Prevention-Innovation-Blisters/dp/B07N15HKWN) (I have also found this at Walmart) - Someone on here suggested this last year and OMG, it's GREAT. Has cut down on blisters and I even used it every day on a European vacation where I walked a lot and it's great. Pro-tip: Make sure it is fully DRY before you put on your socks and shoes, or anything else. Works great! (I also bring it with me and reapply if I change my socks/shoes during the day)

3) If you want double protection, use Body Glide Foot (AFTER the preheels spray is fully dry) (https://www.amazon.com/BodyGlide-Foot-Anti-Blister-Balm/dp/B00115UN9Q) - this also works good by itself, but I prefer the spray if I only had one choice

4) Moisture wicking socks! Very important! I also bring a second pair with me and if I'm feeling like I need a refresh, change in the middle of the day.

5) Of course, bandaids and moleskin are also good to have in case you do develop a blister. SOME of the bandaids specifically for blisters work well, but also be wary. I used a brand I had never used before back on a August 2022 trip (I think it came from Walmart and was just like their store brand) and the adhesive got so glued to my skin, it was pulling my skin off. I literally had to soak my feet in the tub at my hotel so I could get the bandage off. DO NOT RECOMMEND.

6) I also agree with the people who said bring a second pair of shoes. I don't have to change my shoes much anymore because I do all of this and change socks mid-day if I need to for the blisters. But it's still good to have a second pair on hand in case you're feet start hating the first pair.

Nike Air shoes. Always had blisters at work (walk an average of 15 miles a day at Nordstrom), switched to Nike Air Monarchs, it's like I'm walking on clouds.

I think Converse Chuck Taylors are pretty good for Disneyland too, which a lot of people probably won't agree with me on as they don't offer much cushion or support. They are well ventilated, however, and your feet won't get sweaty or swollen wearing them for long hours.

I am very blister prone. There is a product called Body Glide. You can usually get it at Target and most sporting goods stores. Amazon also carries it as well as other online sources. You can just use the original in blue packaging--- pretty sure all the specific foot and other types are the same thing in different packaging created after Body Glide realized people used it for those purposes and it could make more money packaging and marketing it that way too.

Put it all over your feet-- every possible place a shoe could rub--- tops, bottoms, sides, toes, heels. I have been using it for over 10 years, and since I started using it I have NOT once gotten a blister at WDW or DLR. I used to get blisters every trip. My whole family uses it too and no blisters at all for anyone. I also get blisters every time I get a new pair of shoes until they are broken in, so I started using it for that too, and it works for that as well.

It is by far the best tip I have ever gotten on the disboards, and I have gotten a lot of great tips.

My Teen DD insisted on wearing little black flats on Labor Day weekend in the parks at DLR, and a lady even looked down at her feet in the restroom line one night and said-- poor thing I see where it is red and you are getting a blister-- Disney blisters are the worst. I asked DD if she had put foot stuff (body glide) on that morning and she said yes. I asked her if that spot hurt and she said no. It may have looked a little red that night, but it did not develop a blister at all and never caused her any pain-- she was fine and wore the same shoes the next day.

Drs and nurses that I know frequently recommend OnClouds. I bought a pair and was somewhat unimpressed. The shoes were mildly comfy, but not necessarily easing my foot pain, even after expensive inserts. I found that Nike AD Comforts were much better for me, and much cheaper. Moral of the story is try lots of shoes from the priciest to the cheapies. Oh, Dr Scholl's inserts can work wonders also.

I'm also not a sneaker type person in the parks as my feet get too hot also. My go to choice is either Toms or flip flops. The flip flops I've used in the parks are these Skecher ones. But I've switched to Archie's within the last year and while I haven't worn them to the parks (yet!) they are great for all-day wear elsewhere.

I swear by leukotape. My husband is an avid hiker/hunter and even with having shoes made his feet are so narrow he gets blisters. The tape has saved him, and also me, many times.

I love my Birks but will only wear pairs that are super old to the parks. I made the mistake of wearing a new, well about 4 months old, to Las Vegas once and I had the nastiest blister. I flew out to WDW the day after getting home and the blister just kept growing. I ended up having to wear tennis shoes with socks in the heat which sucked.

For normal trips that don't start with a blister I swap my shoes each afternoon. I bring a pair of Birks, pair of Hey Dudes and a pair of sneakers. I also use Deep Blue on my feet each night before bed and before putting shoes on in the morning. Just don't get it on a blister or it hurts.

This trip I did Nike air zoom Pegasus. Slapped some deodorant on the bottom in the am. I do love moleskin.

Now I get the Disney rash, so prior I walked 2 miles before my trip. Then at Disney each night I took a cool shower, soaked my legs in cool cold water 5 minutes but lotion on them and then slept with compression socks. It worked.

The last time I was at Disneyland was in 2018 and the worst part about the trip was the pain my feet were in by the end of 3 days. I had blisters upon blisters and it was horrible. I have Birkenstocks that are usually my go-to

Okay. Everything I need to know is in those two sentences.

My advice: Brooks shoes, Balega/Features socks with blister heel lip.

If you can, walk into an athletic shoe store and get fitted. Those socks I mentioned above are moisture wicking and cooling. They keep your feet protected and they're light.

And before you say no because you think you hate 'tennis' shoes, go in, get fitted, and try on running shoes once for free. They'll give you socks they sell there and you can walk in them and see how you feel. And if you have arches Road Runner Sports locations will even scan your foot and quickly make you can arch insert there in the store to try on as well - all for free.

My DH and I walk 6+ hours a day in our Brooks. The socks make the biggest difference in the blister department, but you'd be surprised how much better you feel after a long day when you have good footwear.

The last time I was at Disneyland was in 2018 and the worst part about the trip was the pain my feet were in by the end of 3 days. I had blisters upon blisters and it was horrible. I have Birkenstocks that are usually my go-to but for the walking I plan to do at Disneyland, they start to get hot and the top rubs that part of my foot. I have some Crocs but they're not exactly comfortable. I have some Sketchers, that is what I wore last time and had an issue after while with the shoes rubbing on my ankles and on the top of my foot. Other than bringing Band-Aids, what do you use to ward off foot pain and blisters? Does anyone have a favorite shoe they could suggest? I'm not a tennis shoe person, they feel heavy and hot and I hate to wear socks.
Alot of good recommendations from others.

I will add if nothing works and you are developing a foot issue on your trip, know what scooter rental place will deliver to the location you are staying. An off-site rental will allow you to use the scooter to and from the parks. The walk to the hotel at the end of a Disney Day can be brutal.

I pack extra socks stashed in the locker and change socks mid day but I don't care what you perceived fitness level is the MOST important thing IMO is rotating different shoes every day otherwise those pressure and pain points just get worse and worse.

...and never start a trip with new shoes. You want somebtiwng that is broken in and you know you will be comfortable in for being on your feet all day.

Last edited:
I ordered shoe inserts, blister blocker, body glide, support socks and those little toe things. I will swing out my shoes mid day. My trip is next week so this time around I will not be getting any new sneakers or shoes because... no new shoes at Disneyland! But I will bring a plethora of shoes options to see what works best and rotate them. Thank you everyone for the suggestions!

I don't always wear socks in everyday life either, but I find a good pair of socks absolutely essential for the kind of walking you do in a day at the parks. I especially like moisture-wicking socks with extra cushioning. They keep the inside of the shoe from rubbing against the skin of the foot, and causing blisters and abrasions.

Chacos (specifically the Z/1 or ZX/1 classic without the toe loop to minimize rub spots) are my ride or die. Strap across the top is typically low enough on the foot to not rub the pinky toe for most, a common sandal problem. Every foot is so different, it really is a personal thing. I second the body glide slathered on feet and between toes as a preventative measure. I also find blisters to be more likely when it’s more hot/humid. I rarely blister but the one time I did it was a hot and humid day, and so I think my feet swelled a bit and then rubbed when they usually wouldn’t. It can be tough to prevent that, but putting your feet up when you can helps. And limit standing, hard to do sometimes but makes a difference. If you blister in certain spots you sort of have to figure out why. Is it from your shoe squishing your toes closer together so they rub? Or from your shoe Itself rubbing? Then you sorta gotta just find shoes that have straps that don’t cause this which is going to be different from person to person.

I used to have plantar fasciitis and everything hurt after a day in the parks! This trip, dd and I averaged 30,000 steps a day and we both came out with zero blisters and very little pain. DD alternated between her very broken in sorel boots and her olukai slip on shoes. The key here is both were already broken in, but also still had excellent insoles. I alternated between my merrell encore breeze slip ons and my new balance 880s, also broken in, but the insoles are still up to the task.

Next, good socks are a must, and extra pairs of them. For me ”no show” puma socks, which actually hit at my ankle work great, dd has some random socks from various stores that work for her. The important part is the ability to put fresh socks on if your feet get too sweaty halfway through the day.

Then, I buy pre-cut strips of KT tape, and cut them into thirds and quarters. At the first sign of rubbing, stop what you are doing, take your shoe and sock off and slap a piece of KT tape over that spot. But you can’t wait for the blister to form. If you are too slow, put a bandaid over the blister and KT tape over it.

Lastly, and this is a new trick for us… biofreeze gel. When you get back to the room for the night, slather that all over your feet (wash your hands good after or it is COLD between your fingers), pop a couple of Advil and go to bed! Worked like a charm!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter