Gay/lesbian proposals?

wdw_nutz

Mouseketeer
Hi there,

I'm considering proposing to my DGF whilst in Orlando in November. I've got a few different ideas, ranging from a quiet beach/fireworks moment, a carriage ride, to a meal with slipper etc....

Does anyone have any experience of same sex proposals in the World? I know heterosexual ones are celebrated and that Disney offer a lot of help with planning, but what about us?

She's not the "millions watching on Main Street" type, but if I'm going to do it at Disney I really want to blow her away.

I'm still in a dilemma about whether it's the right timing or not ( not about whether she's right, that bit I know for sure) because we've only been together 2 years and I was in a straight marriage before which ended messily. I have fear - what if history repeats and my feelings change in the future??

I know that's a stupid reason to delay. But it's only 2.5 years since my marriage collapsed, and part of me feels what's the rush?? But another part feels why wait??

Aagghh anyway sorry to go on for ages! Very few people I can talk to about this because many don't understand my changing teams (suddenly the world fitted better when I realised I'm gay, kwim?) and certainly don't get the need for marriage/civil partnership. So I'm limited for open minded, frank discussion!!

Ok thanks for any opinions shared about proposing to her at Disney. And any other pearls of wisdom you care to throw at me!

Love D xx

First of all, congrats! You must have a great relationship already to be at this stage. I was recently proposed to by my boyfriend (now fiance) at Disneyland Resort- and while it is not the same as WDW, I will share some details for you and maybe it will give you some advice. I have two proposal stories, because he proposed to me first and then, me- thinking that I did not want things to be unequal and wanting to give him the same (or as close to the same) experience of joy and surprise as I had, I proposed to him. He decided to propose to me on the DCA Mickey's fun wheel (which I know there is not a counterpart at WDW)- but he wanted to select a location with a great aerial view of both parks- as Disneyland Resort is our favorite place in the world and where we have spent a lot of time together growing in our relationship. He is rather shy, so he decided that the wheel would be an intimate location between the two of us, without a lot of people watching. It turned out wonderfully- we had the cabin all to ourselves and he pulled out the ring while I was facing the other way out the car looking at the scenery. I ended up proposing to him after I had ordered his ring to match mine- I managed to still get a surprise of out him by telling him that it wasn't available for pick up for an extra week, but I had secretly picked it up prior to us going to Disneyland. I decided to propose to him at the Snow White Wishing well, because I had wished we would live happily ever after, every time we passed by this place in the park (cheesy, I know- but nevertheless true). It was a nice intimate location off to the side of the castle. I think there is a comparable place in Magic Kingdom.

Anyways- back to your original topic- make sure you stop by the City Hall and pick up Just engaged buttons for you two to wear- if you are into that. You should consider enlisting the help of the CMs.We chose not to involve the Disney CMs in our engagement plans, namely because we both wanted to have more private engagements- mostly because I knew that my fiance is the type who would have been embarassed of anything that drew a crowd's attention. But, I know for a fact, that Disney is willing to assist you in your engagement planning- you can call in advance or stop by the city hall at the beginning of your day at Magic Kingdom and let them know of your plans and they will help you make your moment special. I have heard testimonies of people who have even had characters involved in their proposals. So, if you decide to make it a more public proposal, then I would check into that. Another idea I have toyed around with, that would have been public, is to step in front of the castle for a photo opportunity with a Disney photo-pass cast-member. I was going to ask the cast member to take a couple extra photos as I plan to propose- that way when you return to your significant other to take the photo- you could get down on one knee and propose there- and have the exact engagement moment captured by the cast member. Additionally, some of the Disney TS restaurants will bring out your ring with dessert on a glass slipper- Cinderella style. The possibilities are endless.

Regardless of what you choose- I hope your engagement is special and memorable and wish you both the best of luck in your relationship and any future endeavors! Great to hear of more Disney same-sex couples considering engagement at Disney parks!

Hey there. I proposed to my partner last April at WDW. I paid the company Gifts of a Lifetime (Giftsofalifetime.com) to arrange a scavenger hunt in the MK for him. I overnighted the diamond ring to Jane at Gifts of a lifetime (GOAL) and she organized everything. She sent my partner on a scavenger hunt with clues that were left for him after starting the whole thing at a specific time and location we setup where he got his first clue which had his full name on it. He had to figure out where to go based on the clues and we even had to ride some attractions to get clues. AT one point, a clue was placed around his neck in the haunted mansion stretching room when the lights went out. GOAL made everything easy and led us to the rose garden at the MK to a rose called Special Moment. There he found the ring and got on one knee and proposed. HE was blown away, it was pretty private, and I was so impressed, I used their service again last November for my trip when we celebrated my mom's birthday... Every clue was a rose and in the end, he had a dozen roses. The ring was attached to the 12th...

Hello! Congratz!

I am a straight 13 yr old girl and have always dreamed of a guy proposing to me at WDW. Here's an idea:

If you can, get a park view room at the Contemporary. Watch Wishes with her and at the end say, "I have a wish.... I wish that you say yes.... Will you marry me?"

I didnt propose at WDW but we thought about getting married there but they dont allow it.

Good luck with your proposal!!

I did this with my partner and the cast members were great, no problems whatsoever.

What I did was book a meal at the Cali Grill during wishes. So we ate the main meal, went out and watched wishes and when we went back in for desert they brought over a covered plate (covered with one of those big metal domes thingies that's name escapes me right now).

The lifted it off and underneath was the ring and written on the plate in chocolate icing was 'Will You Marry Me?'

They played it perfectly and until the reveal they just made it sound like the normal thing that's done for desert at the Cali Grill. It was amazing and I couldn't have pulled it off without the help of the cast members. :)

Hope that was helpful, but to be quite honest I'll take any excuse to tell that story. :)

I didnt propose at WDW but we thought about getting married there but they dont allow it.

Good luck with your proposal!!

I know you can't get legally married in Florida but they do perform same sex ceremonies in WDW. You just have to sign the paperwork either before or afterwards in your home country\state (assuming they allow it).

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your advice! I think I have a plan...

Head to the Polynesian and walk out towards a more secluded spot on the beach. arrive around 7.45pm, curl up on a hammock and read her some poetry (we can a book of lesbian poetry that we both love) then move to one of the love swings in time for Wishes. At some point I'll ask the big question (will need to YouTube it to decided exact moment!) and I need to decide whether or not I'm going to go down on one knee - I don't know!!

Then we will either walk or take the monorail to the Grand Floridian, were I have a 8.50pm ADR for the Grand Floridian Cafe. We like the understated elegance of this restaurant, it's usually quiet and hopefully by this time most families with little kids will be done. :) Ive written on the reservation that we will be just engaged. :)

After that we'll head back to OKW, and I plan to get the Disney Florist to decorate our room - bed turned down with rose petals in the shape of a heart, some personalised towels and hopefully something chilled and bubbly and some chocolates. :D

I guess my plan isn't earth-shatteringly exciting... But she's not one for big shows and doesn't like being the centre of attention. Also I'm worried about being the cause of another families discomfort or difficult questions whilst they are on vacation!

Oh, and on the way into the Grand Floridian, we may ask for Engaged buttons. Or will they have them at the restaurant? I'm not sure if we'll have the guts to wear them all the time but we will some of the time!!

Any thoughts? Feedback? Anything you think I'm missing?

Thanks all. And thanks for your thoughts and opinions!

D
Xx

SO sorry I havn't replied, but I forgot! Anyway, that's beautiful! You used abit of everyone's ideas and that is perfect! Good Luck. :bride::bride:

Just saw your post and wanted to wish you the best of luck! The evening you've planned sounds lovely and perfect for your somewhat-shy partner. I'm not sure about who can provide you with the buttons, outside of Guest Relations at any of the parks, so I'm afraid I can't offer help there. I did want to say that I've had chocolate covered strawberries delivered to the room while at WDW and they did a very nice job with them - you might consider adding them to your champagne order. Finally, I'm straight and married to the love of my life - whenever I see anyone wearing 'Just Engaged' pins, it brings a smile to my face to think that they've found the kind of happiness I feel so lucky to have. I hope you'll feel comfortable wearing your pins so people like me can congratulate you! Please keep us updated, and know that I'm rooting for it to be perfect!

Just saw your post and wanted to wish you the best of luck! The evening you've planned sounds lovely and perfect for your somewhat-shy partner. I'm not sure about who can provide you with the buttons, outside of Guest Relations at any of the parks, so I'm afraid I can't offer help there. I did want to say that I've had chocolate covered strawberries delivered to the room while at WDW and they did a very nice job with them - you might consider adding them to your champagne order. Finally, I'm straight and married to the love of my life - whenever I see anyone wearing 'Just Engaged' pins, it brings a smile to my face to think that they've found the kind of happiness I feel so lucky to have. I hope you'll feel comfortable wearing your pins so people like me can congratulate you! Please keep us updated, and know that I'm rooting for it to be perfect!

Thank you so much! And thanks to everyone for the other encouraging and supportive comments too. :)

I'm really excited, and more than a bit nervous! But it will all be fine because I know she's aching for me to hurry up and ask her! And then allll we have to do is tell the parents... That won't be a fun time! :rolleyes1

Thanks for so much help with this, you've all been awesome and have given me the confidence to go for it in Orlando. Yay! :yay:

D
xx

Good Luck!!! I proposed to my now wife in Disney in March 2009 (seems like forever ago!) Neither of us are into attention or big scenes so I also had some difficulty figuring out where the "perfect" spot would be. I was considering the beach at Poly but then decided I wanted it to be in Magic Kingdom. Her first trip ever to Disney was two years prior, and on our first night we just happened to luck out and ended up at the perfect spot during Wishes where Tink flies right overhead on the bridge to Tommorowland. She was completely in awe, and I knew that would be the perfect time to propose to her!

After hitting some bumps and snags along the way that night we barely ended up making it to the same spot just before Wishes started. I had just enough time to get the ring ready just as Tink was about to fly down. She was in the process of fiddling with her camera trying to take the "perfect" shot, which gave me time to get down on one knee without her even realizing. As soon as Tink flew overhead I looked up at her and asked her if she would marry me! It took her a few seconds to realize what was going on as she was in complete shock, but then said YES!

I wish you the best luck and can't wait to hear about it all when you get back!

Congratz!!

No matter what you do or how you do it... it will be something you both remember for the rest of your lives. Coming up with something unique is just the icing on the cake!

This is a sweet thread. It is now November so your big day must be coming up. Congratulations!

If it helps at all, I remember reading a book a few years ago that I just found by chance at the library in San Franciso. I think that it was called "World's Most Romantic Proposals." It was something near that if I am wrong so a key word search would bring it up on Amazon or whatever. It had some charming stories in it, including at least a couple of which were about proposals at the Disney resorts.

Hello!
Thank you all for the lovely replies.

The day is very close indeed, we leave for the airport in 7 hours and then Monday is the Big Day!

Everything is ready. I had problems getting a bit enough ring to ask her with (just a cheap one as we're getting proper rings made afterwards) and actually have one to ask with and a back up in case it's too small. And one for me. :)

The meal is booked at Grand Flo Cafe at 8.50. I've chosen 2 poems to read to her on the Poly beach before Wishes. The florist is booked to do 'From Mickey and Minnie with Love' in our room at OKW. Eee!!!

Very nervous and excited - will let you know how it all goes!

Love D

Awww, I'm so excited for you. Your plan sounds lovely...

Sadly my GF doesn't like Disney at all, so there will never be a Disney proposal or wedding

Can't wait to hear all about it when you come back from your holidays

Eeeeeeeeeee!

Tonight's the night... In 45 mins we will leave to go to the Polynesian beach for the big moment. I'm pretty sure she doesn't suspect a thing. The florist will visit between 7 and 9, and dinner is booked at the Grand Flo for 8.50pm.

Right now I'm feeling kinda nervous!! I know she won't say no, I just feel a bit freaked out! It will be fine, I'm sure - maybe everyone who proposes feels this way! I've thought about this for a long time, I don't want anyone except her. Still nervous though!

Wish me luck, guys!!

Dee xxx

Hi there,

I'm Hayley, and having been directed to this thread by the lovely Dee, I think I'd better let you all know that... I SAID YES!!! :lovestruc

The proposal was as perect as she described it above, from the poetry and wishes on the beach to the petal strewn hotel room, it was perfect and beautiful, just like my fiancee :love:

Thank you all for supporting her through preparing for last night :-) I'm off to go and be deliriously happy with my girl :cloud9:

Hi there,

I'm Hayley, and having been directed to this thread by the lovely Dee, I think I'd better let you all know that... I SAID YES!!! :lovestruc

Congratulations!!!! It sounds perfect!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter