Free stuff on your birthday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

marjorieeeee

Mouseketeer
I just got back from a long weekend in The World, and I thought you might like to know about all the birthday goodies I received! I'm putting it in the restaurants forum, because mostly I got stuff from restaurants.

Your mileage may vary, but I am young-at-heart thirtysomething girl, dining alone, and wearing a Happy Birthday button. On my actual birthday, I wore 3, one for each year I've celebrated a birthday at Disney, plus the Canada button, because my birthday is on Canada Day. And I wore a tiara to dinner on Saturday.

It starts at the resort. I had the cast member who checked me in get a new birthday button for me for this year. And my room had a balloon and a photo card from Mickey. Last year I stayed at Pop Century and didn't get anything. This year I was at Boardwalk.

Untitled by marjorieeeee, on Flickr

Friday's dinner was at 'Ohana. I went up when they called for everybody celebrating birthdays and got a lei (and another one because I participated in the hula lesson!) And in addition to the bread pudding included with the meal, I got three tiny cupcakes. The waitress sang for me at the same time as the young boy at the next table.

Saturday was my actual birthday and Canada Day. I had lunch at Le Celier. They had a special birthday menu (same as regular menu):

And they gave me a birthday card signed by the servers, and a Canadian Mickey-head magnet! This was the best swag of the weekend, even though he forgot to cross the t in birthday!

Oh, and they decorated the dessert I ordered with a bit of white chocolate.

Saturday dinner at Cinderella's Royal Table was quite disappointing. The add-on Champagne list said Happy Birthday, but I don't drink, and had already spent $80 on the meal. All 4 princesses wished me a Happy Birthday, and said they'd have a cake made for me (Ariel said she's have Chef Louie do it, Jasmine would ask Genie, Princess Aurora would ask the fairies, and Snow White would ask the dwarfs). But then, dessert did not include cake, because I didn't order cake. If you bring little ones to the castle on their birthday, you might wanna make sure a cake shows up, so they don't realize that the princesses are a bunch of liars.

Sunday breakfast was the new Bon Voyage breakfast at Trattoria al Forno. All the characters were friendly and wished me a happy birthday. No cake promises, and I got a birthday muffin!

Sunday lunch was at the Rose and Crown. I ordered the Sticky Toffee pudding, ate it, and then they brought the special birthday dessert. That was weird. I was full, and ate two bites of cupcake, just to make sure I wasn't missing anything amazing. I wasn't.

Sunday dinner was back at Trattoria al Forno. The server was very sweet. She sang me a birthday song. It went like this: "This is your birthday song. It isn't very long." I said I was too full for dessert, but kind eyed the little girl's birthday dessert next to me. She got a cupcake and ice cream and a glowing Tinkerbell. I didn't even ask, but my server brought me the tinkerbell too!

Monday breakfast was at The Wave. Didn't get anything special.
Monday lunch was Liberty Tree Tavern. Didn't get anything special.

Monday dinner was special, but not in the expected way. I was at Artist Point, and my server greeted me with birthday champagne. Um, I don't drink. So she took it back and returned with birthday mushroom bisque. It was yummy.

As the server cleared my dinner plate, I mentioned that the fish was quite underdone. She said she would bring the dessert menu. I ordered Almond Butter Cookies with cherry milkshake.

As I was eating my cookies, the food runner brought a plate of donuts.

IMG_6545 by marjorieeeee, on Flickr

And as I was still eating my cookies, hadn't touched the doughnuts yet, my server brought this lovely bit "special for you."

I gestured at my untouched doughnuts, and I think she said they were a mistake and ran off to box them up, and returned with more boxes for my cookies and lollipops! I don't know if I got three desserts because of my birthday, because they messed up my food, or if the doughnuts were just a mistake! They took my undercooked fish off the bill, so I paid for cookies and soda. I decided not to ask for passholder discount, and tipped based on what should have been my total.

I would have been much more excited about three desserts if I wasn't on my way to the Fireworks Dessert Party! I wasn't planning on ordering dessert, but I only ate half my fish, so was still hungry.

And for what it's worth, there were no birthday bonuses at the dessert party.

I hope you find this helpful if you're planning a birthday celebration at Disney World, or if you're debating on whether or not you should wear a Happy Birthday button!

Wow that's a lot of extra magic! Makes me want to go during my birthday. Perhaps one year. I do need to get one of those Tinkerbells though.

That's a lot of pixie dust!! Personally, I think you should expect nothing, even with a birthday button and be very happy with any special treats/balloons/pixie dust given.

I agree with this 110%! So awesome when they throw pixie dust your way but definitely can't expect it will happen.
We were there on our Honeymoon last year & the resort did something special for us and one restaurant. We were SO appreciative, it was totally thoughtful, unexpected and awesome! But all other restaurants didn't do anything (which we are totally fine with but drives home your point) :)

Saturday dinner at Cinderella's Royal Table was quite disappointing. The add-on Champagne list said Happy Birthday, but I don't drink, and had already spent $80 on the meal. All 4 princesses wished me a Happy Birthday, and said they'd have a cake made for me (Ariel said she's have Chef Louie do it, Jasmine would ask Genie, Princess Aurora would ask the fairies, and Snow White would ask the dwarfs). But then, dessert did not include cake, because I didn't order cake. If you bring little ones to the castle on their birthday, you might wanna make sure a cake shows up, so they don't realize that the princesses are a bunch of liars.
Maybe it depends on the server? I went there for lunch on my birthday and they brought out the dessert I ordered along with a cupcake with a candle in it. Our waitress sang happy birthday to me. A lot of the restaurants are hit or miss for doing anything for a special occasion because it depends on who's your waiter.

You really got lucky. And I would caution others against assuming they will get the same.
I did get some cupcakes and a card for my birthday (2 days after my WDW wedding) but, I would not expect them to do anything. Don't forget, while your special day is undoubtedly important to you, nearly everyone is celebrating something at WDW, and it is people expecting these things and being annoyed if they don't get them that stops Disney doing them at all. (See, towel animals etc)

Wow, that is a lot of pixie dust. We've been with my mother-in-law where we wore our Anniversary buttons and she wore her birthday button for a whole week and not had anything but Happy Birthday wishes and then my sister and I were there for one day when she wore her button and she got 2 free desserts that day. Very hit or miss, but great when it happens.

Thank you for posting this. My littlest will be turning 7 when we are there and it's also their first trip so I'm excited to see what they do. They (twins) are crazy excited!

Great pixie dust.

Glad the OP got all this but to anyone reading please don't take your kids (or yourself) over their birthday and expect all this. It is really up to the individual server and sometimes even which manager is on duty. I've had a few birthday trips some which were extra special like this and some that I got zip. Same goes for any special occasion really. Yes they do have the power to do all this special stuff but it doesn't always happen that is why it is called pixie dust. If it happens let it and be excited but don't go expecting it.

I think you were very lucky as well. My son just went on his actual bday to BWI and 'Ohana and didn't get anything.

You were the lucky one to get so much pixie dust. I've been to Disney the last 3 years on my actual birthday and wore a button and it was very nice to get birthday wishes from many but I didn't receive anything.

That's fantastic. We were at WDW for my DH's birthday a few years ago. He wore his button and all he got was a couple of "Happy Birthdays". No special deserts or anything.

Thank you for posting this. My littlest will be turning 7 when we are there and it's also their first trip so I'm excited to see what they do. They (twins) are crazy excited!
Whatever you do, don't tell them about all of this. Or anything quite honestly.
It's HIGHLY unusual.
Most guests won't get that much over 10 years worth of visits on their birthday, much less 1.
Unless you arrange something they need to go in to the trip expecting nothing

You were the lucky one to get so much pixie dust. I've been to Disney the last 3 years on my actual birthday and wore a button and it was very nice to get birthday wishes from many but I didn't receive anything.

That's fantastic. We were at WDW for my DH's birthday a few years ago. He wore his button and all he got was a couple of "Happy Birthdays". No special deserts or anything.

These are much more normal occurrences for birthday trips. We've been twice for mine and once for DGD

Wow OP that's a lot of pixie dust!

I've gotten cupcakes cards, a balloon once, piano guy sang me s song... the mayor at Disney even walked over to me once..
and twice while on my bday visit we got upGraded... akl to savannah view with a card in the room
and at por, card n princess room.
we ve been upgraded several times... for no reason...pixie dust for sure!

DS and I go every year for Mother/Son Birthday trip complete with buttons. He has gotten a card signed, a cupcake and lots of wishes but not much else. All that pixie dust was quite over the top and not normal. So many celebrate there is no way they can do that for everyone. I agree with others if you want birthday stuff, plan & pay for it, anything else is pixie dust.

So glad you had such an awesome trip and did extra for yourself ........... and hope this sounds okay but I think some things may have stood out to servers that celebrated you ...

" ... Your mileage may vary, but I am young-at-heart thirtysomething girl, dining alone, and wearing a Happy Birthday button. On my actual birthday, I wore 3, one for each year I've celebrated a birthday at Disney, plus the Canada button, because my birthday is on Canada Day. And I wore a tiara to dinner on Saturday."

Again, not meant as a negative at all .......... I would LOVE to celebrate at Disney on a solo trip! but could be they were trying to up your celebration since you didn't bring folks to celebrate with you.

Happy Belated Birthday :cake:

Last edited:
12 years ago we were there for my son's 4th birthday. He got a cupcake at EVERY restaurant. Not to sound ungrateful, but we were kind of sick of cupcakes by the end of the trip. I don't recall saying anything to anybody about his birthday. Maybe when we made the resort reservation? Do they mark it in the computer or something?

I was there for my 60th Birthday for a week. Wore my pin the entire week and had a ball. I received a pirates eye patch and sword, a key chain with the Downtown Disney logo, numerous cupcakes with a candle, serenaded by the traveling singers at MK multiple times, serenaded on the bus to and back from the hotel. But the best was having dinner at the Crystal Palace. My wife told the waiter it was my 60th Birthday and was there something special that could be done. I was up getting a plate of food at the time. When I returned the waiter came back and suddenly I was surrounded by all of the charecters. A voice over the loudspeaker suddenly announced,"Ladies and Gentlemen, please help us to wish a young man a very happy birthday on his 60th birthday as Winnie the Pooh and the gang take him on a special parade." I was grabbed by Pooh and Piglet and off we went with music playing, around the entire Crystal Palace on my own, special parade. It was the greatest experiance I ever had. I also got a kiss on each cheek by the Tremaine sisters the next night at 1900 Park Fare.

While very awesome that OP was the recipient of all this pixie dust, it's definitely not the norm. We've had several bday and anniversary trips and have learned to go in expecting nothing, but whatever we buy to make it special. The thing is, even more consistent places don't always do things for guests who are celebrating. OP got no cake at CRT, but we've always gotten at least a birthday cupcake...sometimes an ice cream presentation as well. On the flip side, I remember going to California Grill one time for my birthday...everyone pumped me up, saying I'd get their standard special dessert, but I got nothing...not even a happy birthday.

The problem was with me...not them. I learned to never go in expecting more than good food and good service, and to create the pixie dust rather than expect it. We now do things like ordering custom cakes and planning cocktails for celebratory drinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter