FREE DINING UPDATE- RUMOR and SPECULATION / Update Page 80 !

Status
Not open for further replies.
So...CanadianGuy....I totally get what you are saying, I do! But.....are you saying that people that are hoping for FD, but traveling regardless, should still wait to book? What if FD doesn't come out and by the time you come to terms with that your resort is booked? Isn't that essentially the same thing? I guess I am just confused with the logic overall (which doesn't say a lot - I am sleep deprived these days :rotfl2:)

This describes our situation exactly...we are going, on specific dates, to a specific first choice resort, regardless of FD, for DD's 5th birthday. I've actually done the math and in our case, the FD would only save us about $100 over the 35% room discount we have, so no big loss. The FD doesn't really matter to us, so I went ahead and booked. If FD is announced, I'll probably call and try to add that promo instead, but if there isn't any availability at CBR for our dates, no big deal, we'll keep the 35%. I think our scenario is one in which it is "ok" in CanadianGuy's eyes to book, yes?

What I'm saying though, is that if you book at rack rate, you can ALWAYS switch to a promo. They don't sell out of a promo. If those promo rooms are sold out, they will do SOMETHING for you to lessen your price point.

You just have to be prepared to be flexable with your dates/and or resort/room catagory when and if a promo comes out.

What I'm saying though, is that if you book at rack rate, you can ALWAYS switch to a promo. They don't sell out of a promo. If those promo rooms are sold out, they will do SOMETHING for you to lessen your price point.

Yes, they DO sell out of promo rooms. There is a certain % of rooms set aside for each promo. And no, they do not have to do something for you.

Most often what happens is that if you are booked at Pop (for example), and no more promo rooms are available there when you call to book the promo rate, then the CM or TA or the online booking system will tell you that you have to switch to All Star Sports (it always seems to fill up last on Value availability!) to get the promo.

If there is no more promo availability at the Value resorts, you may have to pay to upgrade to a Mod to get the promo...if they have any availability. Disney doesn't have to give you that for free.... getting a free upgrade doesn't happen often.

This describes our situation exactly...we are going, on specific dates, to a specific first choice resort, regardless of FD, for DD's 5th birthday. I've actually done the math and in our case, the FD would only save us about $100 over the 35% room discount we have, so no big loss. The FD doesn't really matter to us, so I went ahead and booked. If FD is announced, I'll probably call and try to add that promo instead, but if there isn't any availability at CBR for our dates, no big deal, we'll keep the 35%. I think our scenario is one in which it is "ok" in CanadianGuy's eyes to book, yes?

I think the point is to not book at rack rate and expect the FD promo to apply to your reservation. If you get another discount and you might switch to FD if and when it comes out then fine book, and if you can't get FD - you still have your other discount. that makes sense to me. But if you are just booking at rack rate to save your spot for FD - you really aren't saving your spot. It doesn't give you any benefit over just waiting for FD to come out. Then see what is available. You might have to cancel and rebook anyway, you might have to change your dates, your resort etc. For the poster that says you will get some discount if FD is sold out for your resort - how can you guarantee that??? Canadian guy - am i right???

What? There are two threads about Free Dining?!
Yay, another 80 pages to read through!! I'm sure the answer is hidden somewhere in here!

if a promo is sold out, Disney would HAVE to do something to lessen your price point. If Company XYZ has 10 promotional widgets to sell, they are not obligated to accomodate more than that.

If you book at rack rate AND a promo becomes available AND you call while there are still promo rooms available, you can switch to a promo. If you wait too long, you may have to change rooms/resorts/resort class (maybe all values are gone & you must now pay for a mod instead)/dates, maybe you miss the boat entirely. Disney is under no obligation to accomodate you just because you have a rack rate room booked duing a promo period.

That having been said, if you watch carefully and call early, you will PROBABLY get a promo. Not to put words in CanadianGuy's mouth,but I think he is trying to make the point that moving from a non-promo ressie to a promo ressie when the promo is offered is not guaranteed.

So...CanadianGuy....I totally get what you are saying, I do! But.....are you saying that people that are hoping for FD, but traveling regardless, should still wait to book? What if FD doesn't come out and by the time you come to terms with that your resort is booked? Isn't that essentially the same thing? I guess I am just confused with the logic overall (which doesn't say a lot - I am sleep deprived these days :rotfl2:)

No.. book the best you can get now.. if you're going anyway ... even without a promo.. But try to find a public offer or PIN offer in your name that you can take advantage of.

That's not true. It guarantees you that if you're booked, and a promo comes out, you're going to get SOME sort of discount.

I don't wish to fight about it - but that's simply not true and there have been many posts on the boards (including within this thread (see next quote) to explain what I mean.

If the resort is sold out on the promo. That's it. At that point, your choices are :

a) Change Resorts (and/or)
b) Change Dates
c) Stay with what you have booked

I can attest to what Candian Guy just said. We had a two bedroom villa at the BWV reserved through Disney last Aug. When the free dining was announced I called to change our reservation to the free dining. We were told we would have to change resorts because there were no villas at the BW available - so they do not just change your reservation if they do not have any room available for the promo. Actually ended up for us being better with keeping our BWV with a room discount than the free dining. Also to the one that doubts there will be any more summer discounts - don't forget they are trying to draw in the people that will be going to Universal for Harry Potter opening. Disney will keep offering discounts in the hopes of getting people to also go to Disney at the same time since Universal will be overflowing with people.

You can only switch a promo that has room inventory at the resort you wish to stay at. No promo inventory - no discount.

I can't say it any clearer.

That having been said, if you watch carefully and call early, you will PROBABLY get a promo. Not to put words in CanadianGuy's mouth,but I think he is trying to make the point that moving from a non-promo ressie to a promo ressie when the promo is offered is not guaranteed.

That's exactly what 'm getting at .. and more importantly.. if you were able to switch what you have later -- you'd have EXACTLY THE SAME LUCK - making an all new booking at the same time.

Pre-booking in anticipation of a promo during your travel dates is something that makes us all feel better but at the end of the day - it guarantees NOTHING. Especially if whatever promo comes doesn't match the dates you picked.

Really. That's true.

Some travel agents, the CM's on the phone etc aren't going to EVER tell you that. . because they want your booking TODAY. RIGHT NOW.

But it's the truth.

I book my trip as soon as the packages are available (aug-for the following year)
That way I have a room and just have to add the promo that i want it makes alot easier

I have a question regarding guestimating how much it would cost us for free dining. If I would go into WDW website and price out our dates for the 4 of us without free dining would that be what I would pay if free dining coes out and that room type is available? I am assuming without a pin code it quotes you rack rate right? I really don't get the whole rack rate thing. I assume it is the highest price available for the room during the season you are going, so I wouldn't have to pay Christmas week prices for value season to get a promo right? Thanks for any help ypu can give me with this. I am just curious how much it would save me if anything over the 35% off code I already have at PoFQ. We have 4 adults by Disney standards, so I think we should at least save a little more.

lets say it this way

person a - has no reservations found out about FD and calls to book a room with free dining

person b - has a reservation finds out the same day that FD is out and wants to change their reservation to the promo.

Neither person has any better or worse chances of getting the promo.

Booking early might make you feel better but at the end of the day it doesn't make your chances vs. someone who has no reservation any better at getting the FD or any other promo. They have what they have...

lets say it this way

person a - has no reservations found out about FD and calls to book a room with free dining

person b - has a reservation finds out the same day that FD is out and wants to change their reservation to the promo.

Neither person has any better or worse chances of getting the promo.

Booking early might make you feel better but at the end of the day it doesn't make your chances vs. someone who has no reservation any better at getting the FD or any other promo. They have what they have...

This is half correct.

If you are already booked, you have a room. If you call for the promo after they are out of the promo rooms, you are STILL going to get the discount for the room you already have.

I have a question regarding guestimating how much it would cost us for free dining. If I would go into WDW website and price out our dates for the 4 of us without free dining would that be what I would pay if free dining coes out and that room type is available? I am assuming without a pin code it quotes you rack rate right? I really don't get the whole rack rate thing. I assume it is the highest price available for the room during the season you are going, so I wouldn't have to pay Christmas week prices for value season to get a promo right? Thanks for any help ypu can give me with this. I am just curious how much it would save me if anything over the 35% off code I already have at PoFQ. We have 4 adults by Disney standards, so I think we should at least save a little more.

Rack rate is the normal seasonal rate for the time you will be visiting. :) We try to go in value season if we can.

I agree with the pp about rooms being available...I have been messing with room reservations and checking with rooms for several months now, Even putting some on 7 day (no money) holds and then taking them off.. and so far I have not seen any sell outs for any of the seasons even the summer or believe it or not Christmas week.

I also have a mailer code that I have been messing with on the phone with the CM's and have NOT run into any resort (okay moderate and deluxe) that are sell out's. Even club rooms are available. (not in AKL with a code)

I finally got a CM to admit that it is totally up to the Hotel manager how many rooms to release to a code or promo, but things are not booking up. And a lot of rooms on hold are being cancelled.

Why am I doing this torture - I am cheap and want the best price. I know the dates I am going or want to go, so now I am just scumming for the best price.

Now as far as Disney goes, I just finished reading the Touring guide section ( the book) on Disney prices - especially the ticket prices and was appalled at increases. I guess in the fever of Disney madness I did not add it up. Between that and the room increases, the tipping foolishness, and the other gouging that is going on, it is a wonder Disney has anybody going at all. Especially if you compare the same vacation at Universal/Sea world/Busch Gardens...OMG what a difference in price - even if you stay on the onsite hotels at Universal.

That all aside, and factoring in the recession (that we are supposed to be recoveing from - yea right), then I am at a loss to explain what the Disney execs are thinking right now.

This is half correct.

If you are already booked, you have a room. If you call for the promo after they are out of the promo rooms, you are STILL going to get the discount for the room you already have.

So are you saying if you have a room at rack rate and call for the promo but they are out of promos, they will still give it to you? If so how do you figure that. Once they are out, they are out, correct? The only way to accomplish getting your new discount is to either change your dates or your resort or room class... RIGHT???

I have been confused about the same thing. Last year I had been pricing a stay at Pop Century with and without free dining. When I booked with free dining, it was less than I had been looking at by paying for the dining plan but it was more than I had previously priced without the dining plan. I hope this makes sense.:confused3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter