Free Dining in 2007?

We went from the start of Labour Day weekend in 05' for 10 nts and this year we went from Sept. 14th-23rd. Crowd levels were great for both trips but this years was even better!!!! I don't think we waited for more than 5 min. for most rides and I think we used fastpass twice (Soarin'). Will do this week next year for sure.....hopefully without thoses blasted lovebugs!!!! :guilty:

hi
yes definitely. have booked 14 nights at pop next september - i hve no idea why it is available in te u.k. ahead of the u.s. except the travel brochures here always hit the shops very early for booking the next year so people can take advantage of theearly booking discounts :) can't wait never stayed on site before :smickey: :smickey: :smickey:

I would like to see them limit the number of Free Dining packages to a more managable amount. That would eliminate the problem of needing to open more restaurants and the need to offer extra perks--Unless they don't mind offering the extras--I guess that really is cheaper for them. But the packed restaurants really took away from the experience and I am not sure they make a good impression on people to want to return and pay for that.

I am not sure if I would do it again. If I do then I want to be able to stay for 10 days. I loved the lower crowds, but found that in reality the DDP really was more hassle for our family overall. (I hope to get time to write a full review sometime soon!) I definetly wouldn't pay for it. We really eat more at the CS places for lunch and at the resort CS for dinner. I did learn a lot about us and our "free dining" style that I would apply if we did it again.

Right now finances are such that it would probably have to be 2008 for us to go again--so I will cross my fingers until then! (and hope that I find time to write my 2006 reviews before then!)

I really really really hope they offer it next year too! It will definitely be the difference of going/ not going for us. B/C of DF's school schedule, we will only get to Disneymoon for 5 nights and I would just love to go back for 5 more nights in September if the dining plan is offered :cloud9: Let's keep our fingers crossed!

LBelle said:
It has been offered to the UK the last 2 years as well....they just get to book it much earlier than we do. It will be just the same as this year and last.

no it hasn't been offered in the uk until next year.....The past two years was USA only.
Iam from the UK and actually had the free dining this August...but I had to cancel my ressie with Disney UK and book with Disney Usa to get it.
None of the British tour operatours were offering it this past year..it could ONLY be booked thru dis USA...and NOOONE in the UK knew about it. I knew only because of these boards.
This time though everyone in the UK knows about it as all the tour operatours are offering it and are advertising it BIG.
There will be a LOT of british with free dining next AUg/Sept.

If I book a room now for next September and do not choose the DDP, how do I switch that later to free dining? Do I just call and add it to the reservation?

Thanks,

Tinker74 said:
no it hasn't been offered in the uk until next year.....The past two years was USA only.
Iam from the UK and actually had the free dining this August...but I had to cancel my ressie with Disney UK and book with Disney Usa to get it.
None of the British tour operatours were offering it this past year..it could ONLY be booked thru dis USA...and NOOONE in the UK knew about it. I knew only because of these boards.
This time though everyone in the UK knows about it as all the tour operatours are offering it and are advertising it BIG.
There will be a LOT of british with free dining next AUg/Sept.

:blush:
Sorry, my mistake. I was only going on the facts from the UK people we've met at Pop the last 2 years. I guess I just assumed that when they said they had free dining also that it was offered to them IN the UK. So there may be an increase but doesn't Disney limit the number of rooms available for promotions in the first place? I know they probably didn't limit it too much for this particular program because the purpose was to fill the resorts in the slowest time of the year but when I called to add a day to our last trip, I had to move to another resort as Pop was full and there were no more rooms avail. at POR with the Free Dining but they had a 'room only' avail. for us.

Whatever happens, we think it is an awesome deal and any negatives (not that we had any) would still be well worth it!!!

Keeping my fingers AND toes crossed!!!! :thumbsup2

hawt1 said:
If I book a room now for next September and do not choose the DDP, how do I switch that later to free dining? Do I just call and add it to the reservation?

Thanks,

I'm not sure but I believe it will be for new ressies only when you purchase a room with tickets (Magic Your Way package.)

Anyone know the answer for this? :confused3

hawt1 said:
Actually, you call to switch your reservation to an available, qualifying package, which includes admission purchase. (You cannot add the Dining Plan onto a heavily-discounted package, nor directly on to a room-only reservation -- you need to switch to a package that includes admission purchase in that case.)

LBelle said:
doesn't Disney limit the number of rooms available for promotions in the first place? I know they probably didn't limit it too much for this particular program because the purpose was to fill the resorts in the slowest time of the year but when I called to add a day to our last trip, I had to move to another resort as Pop was full and there were no more rooms avail. at POR with the Free Dining but they had a 'room only' avail. for us.
You're correct. It is a limited availability package, and as you experienced you could end up with a situation whereby you have a room-only reservation at a hotel and there can even be more room-only availability at that hotel, and still not be able to "add" the Dining Plan, because there is no qualifying package availability at that hotel.

bicker said:
Actually, you call to switch your reservation to an available, qualifying package, which includes admission purchase. (You cannot add the Dining Plan onto a heavily-discounted package, nor directly on to a room-only reservation -- you need to switch to a package that includes admission purchase in that case.)

Thanks!! Great info!! :thumbsup2

Do you think this would be adviseable this time? Just taking into consideration the post re: the heavily advertised promo taking place in the UK. I would assume that there would be limited #s offered in the UK AND THEN limited #s offered in North America, but who knows!!!

I wouldn't book anything that you wouldn't be happy using as you booked it. In other words, if you wouldn't use the room-only reservation if you couldn't get a package, then don't book the room-only reservation.

I sure hope so. We had a great time 2 weeks ago. We are booked for December 2007 right now, but if they offer free dining we'll go back in September again!

hi
i am hoping they do offer the incentive to trade down your table service for counter service. there are many more of those i want to try than the a,d,r, places :)

susan1 said:
hi
i am hoping they do offer the incentive to trade down your table service for counter service. there are many more of those i want to try than the a,d,r, places :)

Wow!! That's interesting! I can't imagine preferring CS to TS with the Dining Plan!! I know they cut into time alot more but they're soooo yummy!!! :)

LBelle said:
Wow!! That's interesting! I can't imagine preferring CS to TS with the Dining Plan!! I know they cut into time alot more but they're soooo yummy!!! :)

I have to agree with susan1. We used this Free Dining as a chance to do a lot of the character meals we usually can't afford, or don't want to take time for. The "fancier" places don't appeal to our family and there are only a few more places I would like to try. From this Free DDP I found out that my kids really do want more park time, and not meal time. They would rather grab and go as would I. They would really like more snacks, or a lanyard and pins (or 2) or a poster over spending 2 hours of park time eating (or waiting to eat!)

Besides, with the "dumbing down" of the menus that has been reported and now the changing of the Child's menu to one that is probably less than desirable I am not sure that the DDP is worth it for us to pay for. I guess I didn't mind it while it was free because I didn't feel so bad when I paid OOP for adult entree at CS places because the kids choices were limited and gross! I would probably like to do it again for Free, but would probably "burn" quite a few TS for CS meals--incentives or not.

I think it will be really interesting to see what changes are made to the TS places over the next year.

LBelle said:

I have to agree. I book the dining plan so that we don't have spend our whole trip eating CS. Our first trip was 7 nights. We only ate ONE TS meal. :guilty: I don't ever want to do that again. :sad2:

When we (teen son and I )used the dining plan during our April 2005 trip, it only took us about 1 ½ hours to complete TS meals. That included the time spent waiting to be seated.:hourglass

Since we're not in the habit of taking breaks during out trips, the TS meals gives us a change to rest and enjoy a great meal.

disneyjunkie said:
I have to agree. I book the dining plan so that we don't have spend our whole trip eating CS. Our first trip was 7 nights. We only ate ONE TS meal. :guilty: I don't ever want to do that again. :sad2:

When we (teen son and I )used the dining plan during our April 2005 trip, it only took us about 1 ½ hours to complete TS meals. That included the time spent waiting to be seated.:hourglass

Since we're not in the habit of taking breaks during out trips, the TS meals gives us a change to rest and enjoy a great meal.

Exactly how we look at it!! We like to think of the dining as an important part of our WDW vacations....they're just so much fun!!! We also have found over the last 2 years that most TS meals have you in and out within an hour, if you choose to not have a leisurely meal. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter