For those of you who have flew to Vancouver

Our cruise is June 4, 2018 to Alaska and have the hotel down but not our flights. We want to fly out of Birmingham or Atlanta. I have a few questions.

1) We want a direct flight so I'm assuming delta is the best?

2) When is the best time to book?

3) Have you even been upgraded to economy to business. Thanks!
The best time to book is when prices are at their lowest. Also, does Birmingham have direct flights to Vancouver?

We're flying out next week from Birmingham to Vancouver on Delta. Outbound -- changing planes in Atlanta and Minneapolis. Return flight is direct from Vancouver to Atlanta -- then change to Birmingham. We are using frequent flyer miles so locked in to using Delta.

Again, this depends on the specific situation. Not all flights into Seattle are cheaper. Then add the train, travel, etc. They have literally dozens of self-check kiosks at customs at YVR... it wasn't as bad as i expected. Probably 45 minutes for us from gate to taxi.

That is the exact problem I'm coming across. Flying into Seattle IS cheaper, but not when you factor in a hotel for Seattle the night before the train ride, extra day off to travel, food, etc, the savings is minimal if any at all. Yes, there's one departing in the evening as well but it doesn't get you into Vancouver until 11pm, and that's assuming your flight would even get into Seattle in time for you to catch that evening train.

I am finding that Vancouver is one heck of a difficult and expensive airport to get to. :(

Last edited:
We flew Delta to Vancouver. There was no direct flight for us so we flew from Orlando to San Francisco. Switched to another Delta jet and went to Vancouver. We wanted the least moving parts and wanted to see more of Vancouver so that is why we went that way for our family of 6. We booked 6 months out and did not get an upgrade to business class.

While we aren't flying out of the airports you mentioned, I was able to book American from DFW direct to Vancouver (on AA site) for about $500 each. Return has a layover at LAX. Best time to buy tickets is on Tuesdays. In my experience, you can sometimes purchase upgrades at a very reduced price at the airport when you check in.

It is frustrating, I understand. If possible, you can check other airports within a couple hours of your location too. Sometimes that will get you more options that are also less expensive. We flew out of a small market airport then to Chicago to Vancouver. We left at 5:30am but were in Vancouver by 12pm local, so it felt like we had a whole day. Expensive yes! But wasn't very many options. But if you can get yourself to Chicago that might help too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter