For those of you who have flew to Vancouver

mcgluvint

Registered
Our cruise is June 4, 2018 to Alaska and have the hotel down but not our flights. We want to fly out of Birmingham or Atlanta. I have a few questions.

1) We want a direct flight so I'm assuming delta is the best?

2) When is the best time to book?

3) Have you even been upgraded to economy to business. Thanks!

We found out that there are not as many flights to Vancouver as one would think, and they can be quite pricey. I would have preferred to fly straight to Vancouver for our Alaska cruise next month, however, there just were not any flights that worked for us because of price, times, connections, etc. So, like so many others, we ended up flying to Seattle and will take the train up to Vancouver.

I am flying to Vancouver this October for a conference and staying at Canada Place. Booking my flights was the most challenging part. I couldn't get a non-stop from BWI and I am actually flying on two different carriers inbound and outbound. Roundtrip was about $650. Certainly not cheap, but not crazy.

We have a flight with Delta from Atlanta that is nonstop to Vancouver, however since we are from Florida we are flying to Atlanta first. Flying back is Vancouver to Salt lake city then to Orlando. Cost a fortune, I watched prices forever and finally just booked them.

Different cruise line, but we flew to Seattle then took the train to Vancouver as others have said. The ride is beautiful and got us in the Alaska mood right away. The wildlife and landscape gives you a taste of what's to come.

Different cruise line, but we flew to Seattle then took the train to Vancouver as others have said. The ride is beautiful and got us in the Alaska mood right away. The wildlife and landscape gives you a taste of what's to come.
What company did you take the train ride with?

Last edited:

Did you try any of the travel sites? It's very easy to place your dates and airports and it will give you a list of flights and stops. It's not that hard really...

Did you try any of the travel sites? It's very easy to place your dates and airports and it will give you a list of flights and stops. It's not that hard really...
I would newer use a travel site. I prefer direct booking. We booked a flight to Orlando and we though it was direct, nope, it stopped in Atlanta. Im asking people because they have done this before, I haven't. Im just looking for help.

The best deal really is fly to Seattle and take the train up, the train from Seattle is cheap and Customs is much easier on he train than any other method of traveling to or from Canada.

Really took about 5 minutes for them to clear the train and let us move through compared to hours for some on flights and driving

This is what to do... use the travel sites to gather information. There are many sites, most aggregate different travel sites into one list. Once you have a starting point, then goto the specific airline site, Delta, American, etc... double check the info and book the flight directly from there. I also prefer to not book the flight through the various travel sites. Also, if you have AAA you can use them for assistance.

The best deal really is fly to Seattle and take the train up, the train from Seattle is cheap and Customs is much easier on he train than any other method of traveling to or from Canada.

Really took about 5 minutes for them to clear the train and let us move through compared to hours for some on flights and driving

Again, this depends on the specific situation. Not all flights into Seattle are cheaper. Then add the train, travel, etc. They have literally dozens of self-check kiosks at customs at YVR... it wasn't as bad as i expected. Probably 45 minutes for us from gate to taxi.

We flew into Vancouver on May 27th(Memorial day weekend) this year for a cruise that left May 29th. We ended up flying American Airlines round trip out of Memphis. Had a layover in Dallas on the way out and Phoenix on the way back. Both layovers were around 1 1/2 hours. I first started pricing flights in Sept/Oct 2016 and they were cheaper at that time than when I actually booked in January 2017. I just didn't have all my plans in place to be able to purchase when I first started looking as we were also trying to decide on the fly to Seattle/take the train option as well. Round trip ended up being around $600 per person.

I flew on US Airways (now American) out of DCA but I had to change in Phoenix. Award flight so not much choice. It went fine. Not sure there actually were any nonstops.

Unless you pay for an upgrade or you're an elite flyer, you won't get sent from Economy to Business unless it happens that they need your seats for something like having a family sit together, and there's nowhere else to put you, and that's very rare.

You don't have to use a travel site to book, but you can use one to compare prices and then book directly with the airline of choice.

Yep. I love kayak for that. I check kayak, I check Southwest, I now know it all and I go to the airline site of my choice.

I would newer use a travel site. I prefer direct booking. We booked a flight to Orlando and we though it was direct, nope, it stopped in Atlanta. Im asking people because they have done this before, I haven't. Im just looking for help.

You don't have to book through a site to use it for info. :)

As for direct or nonstop, those are different things and any booking site (direct or third party) will tell you which it is if you make sure to look.

You're asking for advice, and my advice is to look at kayak.com (plus southwest bc kayak doesn't pull from SW). It's good info.

Except that due to the timing of the trains you end up with *at least* an extra day or even two of hotels before the trip. Or you're living life dangerously by taking the train the day of your cruise.

Amtrak doesn't own the rails so if freight needs it, Amtrak sits. And I'd there's a landslide over or near the tracks then Amtrak is grounded for 72 hours and you get to take the bus.

I've had the last minute bus experience. I've had the "sitting on a side rail waiting for freight's needs and issues to stop" experience. Neither are fun. And both times we were going home, not with a cruise embarkation getting closer and closer.

Our cruise is June 4, 2018 to Alaska and have the hotel down but not our flights. We want to fly out of Birmingham or Atlanta. I have a few questions.

1) We want a direct flight so I'm assuming delta is the best?

2) When is the best time to book?

3) Have you even been upgraded to economy to business. Thanks!

Since everyone is ignoring your third question I'll take a stab at it.

Upgrades are only given to frequent flyers holding higher level elite standings for the airline you are traveling on. Nobody else ever receives upgrades.

I'm platinum on American and am upgraded on about 50% of my flights. Even if you have status and are lucky enough to be upgraded your companions will probably not be.

Martin

Just to clarify, if there was no plane change for you, it WAS a direct flight. It was not non-stop, but it was direct in that you were on one plane for the whole trip. Direct and non-stop are not the same thing in travel lingo (just like adjoining and connecting are not the same thing in travel lingo).

Since everyone is ignoring your third question I'll take a stab at it.

Upgrades are only given to frequent flyers holding higher level elite standings for the airline you are traveling on. Nobody else ever receives upgrades.

I'm platinum on American and am upgraded on about 50% of my flights. Even if you have status and are lucky enough to be upgraded your companions will probably not be.

Martin

Also, it is MUCH more likely that a single person will be upgraded. NOT a whole family.

I typically like to fly into my departure port a day or two before my cruise. I always book a direct flight (if possible) to reduce any possibilities of delayed flights or baggage loss. I also book my flights as soon as possible because I feel I can get the best price if I book early. As far as upgrades I guess that depends on if your membership status for the airline. For me I typically fly American and I've been upgraded several times to first class so it is possible. Good luck.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter