For 2,000+ mile round-trip drivers only!

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone take 81-83-695-295-95??

We almost go that way, but skip the 295 and take 495 all the way around DC on the west side. Sometimes the GW Bridge is up and the wait can take forever. We will @ WDW in 30 days, leaving in either 28 or 29 days. We might stop in DC for an overnight to see the sights. Will be subscribing to the new thread! :thumbsup2

We just got back from our first road trip to Disney! It was just the girls and me because DH had to work. We left CT around 9 on a Wed morning, stopped in MD 6 hours later to stay with friends. We left there before 7 am trying to beat DC traffic but got slowed up a little bit.

We drove 11 hours to Savannah and stayed overnight in a Marriott Suites (can't remember the real name- it's on the list from the other thread) and got back on the road around 9. We drove the last 4 hours to Disney and had a great two weeks :cool1:

We left on Friday 7/9 around 10 am (had to go to Downtown Disney first :)) and drove to Myrtle Beach to stay in a friend of a friend's condo. We played in the waves for a few hours the next morning and then hit the road again. We drove about 8 hours to Delaware (almost NJ, right before the Del Mem bridge) and stayed in a Holiday Inn Express. We left around 10 in the morning and made it home by 2:30-3.

Overall it was a great trip and I'd do it again if airfare was high and we had the extra time. I too play the beat the GPS game :) I also find a "runner" or pace car and follow at a distance. I didn't know about the cameras in SC so hopefully I don't get a ticket in the mail :scared1:

Thanks everyone for the advice and tips!!

:goodvibes Glad you guys had a magical time!!!

Made sure to subscribe on the new thread, cause I will be the person wondering why there has been no new posts made lately due to the fact you maxed out and i wasn't paying attention. Thanks for the heads up.

Someone posted about recommended hotels. I just registered on-line at AAA.com and their trip tix tool is amazing. You can find just about anything along your route and click on the info boxes for all kinds of information.

I am a AAA member, and this was part of my membership.

You know, I've never done that! We've depended on our I-95 Exit Guide for our trips. Have you ordered a printed version? I wonder what that is like - do you have to click on what you need on the website and it will transfer that information onto the printed TripTik?

I've considered using my netbook along the way - this could be a good website to use for the whole trip. Thanks for the info!

You know, I've never done that! We've depended on our I-95 Exit Guide for our trips. Have you ordered a printed version? I wonder what that is like - do you have to click on what you need on the website and it will transfer that information onto the printed TripTik?

I've considered using my netbook along the way - this could be a good website to use for the whole trip. Thanks for the info!

It's really easy. You create a trip and print it out. It gives you several options for printing. You can also save it and go back and modify which is always fun.

It's really easy. You create a trip and print it out. It gives you several options for printing. You can also save it and go back and modify which is always fun.

I did this with Google maps (based on a suggestion in this thread). I haven't tried the AAA site (even though I'm a member), but the Google one is very user-friendly. MUCH easier, IMO, than planning a route online with TomTom.

Played around with it for a little while today. Looks pretty good. I saved trips in both directions, with the hotel in between. I have the trips saved on the computer and have it showing restaurants and gas stations. But that doesn't show on the print-out, only online.

I printed to PDFs, but I can't for the life of me figure out if I can print it out as a book, which I'd really like to do. I guess I'll just have to print them as is and put them in sheet protectors and give them their own section in the trip binder ;)

:cool1::cool1::cool1:

Thanks so much! I', going to bookmark it and print it before our trip -- only 31 days to go!!!:banana::banana::banana::banana:

I haven't read the whole thread yet, but I believe it is for hotels on I-95. If you are coming from St. Louis you should not be on I-95 unless you are going someplace besides Disney. There might be some drivers on the thread that use I-75 and have some hotels for you.

DD and I will be making the drive from Iowa in 9 days and I have used aaa.com to scope out some hotels. There are quite a few between Chattanooga and Atlanta which is where we will probably stay for the night. Coming from St Louis you can probably make it through Atlanta.

O.K. gang, we're getting near to the end of this specialized Transportation thread. [250 pages is the max!]

Who will have the honor of posting the last comment?

All the best. :thumbsup2

I haven't read the whole thread yet, but I believe it is for hotels on I-95. If you are coming from St. Louis you should not be on I-95 unless you are going someplace besides Disney. There might be some drivers on the thread that use I-75 and have some hotels for you.

DD and I will be making the drive from Iowa in 9 days and I have used aaa.com to scope out some hotels. There are quite a few between Chattanooga and Atlanta which is where we will probably stay for the night. Coming from St Louis you can probably make it through Atlanta.

We come from Chicago so if you can make it to Macon which is about an hour south of Atlanta we always stay at the Sleep Inn on the bypass at exit 9. There are coupons on roomsaver . com for $49 night on weekdays and $59 weekends. It is nice and clean with comfy beds. HTH

i have to go to bed, 4am comes fast.:lmao: i cant wait up for the big flip. ill see everyone on the new thread!!!!:grouphug:

Thanks, guys! I didn't even pay attention that it was for the wrong highway.

We will be coming from St. Louis. My goal is to get a few hours past Atlanta. But since this is our first time driving with our 3 year old, who knows:confused3 how well he will do. The longest he has even been in a car has only been about an hour or so.

Thanks for the recommendation, I will add the hotel to my Disney Binder as a good place to stop.

When DH and I drove a few years ago, we stopped in Lake City at a Econo Lodge. Talk about scary! Never again! Especially since we have DS now. :)

We will be coming from St. Louis. My goal is to get a few hours past Atlanta. But since this is our first time driving with our 3 year old, who knows:confused3 how well he will do. The longest he has even been in a car has only been about an hour or so.

Thanks for the recommendation, I will add the hotel to my Disney Binder as a good place to stop.

When DH and I drove a few years ago, we stopped in Lake City at a Econo Lodge. Talk about scary! Never again! Especially since we have DS now. :)

Lake City has a great motel the Cabot Lodge. Near the expressway and nice happy hour with free food and wine. Breakfast also free and very nice hostess. We stayed there last year and will again this August.

There is a drive 75 book out there that is really helpful. Look on tripadvisor for hotels down 75 past Atlanta. I kept reading horror storys of hotels in Warner Robbins, Tifton, and Valdosta which are the bigger cities off the highway. That is why I just opt to stay where I know it is comfy and safe. lol From there it is about 5 hours to Disney.

Would someone bump the new thread or post a link so I can find it.

Thanks

You can print a custom made trip tix at home. I just did. You can add points of interest, hotels if you are stopping, gas stations, restaurants, you name it!

The best part is you don't have to leave the site to access the other information. You can also alter the route, it has construction info and turn by turn directions.

So close...yet so far...to the end of phase I of the "For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" thread.

According to distinguished DISboards Moderator goofy4tink, page 250 is the last page of the thread...and you're on it right now.

All the best.:thumbsup2

....unsure if I should be posting in this thread or the other thread. And hoping, this idea doesn't get lost in the move.

Since there's a thread for lodging and food along I-95, could there be a similar thread for those who go down I-75?

I could give tons of information, especially I live less than ten minutes from I-75.

....unsure if I should be posting in this thread or the other thread. And hoping, this idea doesn't get lost in the move.

Since there's a thread for lodging and food along I-95, could there be a similar thread for those who go down I-75?

I could give tons of information, especially I live less than ten minutes from I-75.

It's O.K. to post here because the thread is still active until this page fills.

Of course, we'll all have to repost some important suggestions, tips and advice on the new thread.

All the best.

Okay, I'll post here so we can get this thread closer to its end.

8 days until DD and I head out on our 2935 miles RT.:banana::cool1:

Cedar Falls, Iowa to Boardwalk Villas - 1403 miles

Boardwalk to Panama City Beach - 395 miles

Panama City Beach to Cedar Falls, Iowa - 1137 miles

Total - 2935 miles

Plus all the miles driving around - including 2 trips to Sea World and back to take DD to camp, and a trip to MCO to pick up oldest DD. I figure by the time all is said and done we will put 3500 to 4000 miles on the car:eek:

Can't wait to get to Disney and relax for a while! :laughing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter