"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

We've taken I-95 forty-six times from the Jersey Shore, since 2002. The key thing is avoiding southern MD and northern VA (at least until Fredericksburg) at rush hour. With good traffic (is there such a term?), it will take you approximately three hours to get from the DE Memorial Bridge to the VA border. Good luck.

All the best! :thumbsup2

I am looking into planning a road trip to WDW from the Boston area (via Hilton Head), and google maps says it's almost 5 hours from the DE Memorial Bridge to the VA/NC border. Is it really only 3 hours?

I am looking into planning a road trip to WDW from the Boston area (via Hilton Head), and google maps says it's almost 5 hours from the DE Memorial Bridge to the VA/NC border. Is it really only 3 hours?

Howdy! I just checked our drives-history file (every drive time from state to state). On average for us: Three hours from the DE Memorial Bridge to the VA border; six hours from the DE Memorial Bridge to the VA/NC border (The drive through VA is usually three hours). Remember: avoid the rush hour!

Howdy! I just checked our drives-history file (every drive time from state to state). On average for us: Three hours from the DE Memorial Bridge to the VA border; six hours from the DE Memorial Bridge to the VA/NC border (The drive through VA is usually three hours). Remember: avoid the rush hour!

Oh, so it takes three hours to get to the MD/VA border?

Given your experience, do you think it's do-able to get from the Boston area to Fayetteville, NC in one day? The very preliminary plan (this would be August 2019) is to leave very early in the morning on a Saturday (NO overnight driving for me), and get to somewhere within 4-5 hrs of Hilton Head on Day 1, then leave early on Day 2 and get to Hilton Head around lunchtime.

Given your experience, do you think it's do-able to get from the Boston area to Fayetteville, NC in one day? The very preliminary plan (this would be August 2019) is to leave very early in the morning on a Saturday (NO overnight driving for me), and get to somewhere within 4-5 hrs of Hilton Head on Day 1, then leave early on Day 2 and get to Hilton Head around lunchtime.

Yes, three hours (average) to get from the DE Memorial Bridge (NJ/DE border) to the MD/VA border
Note: And for a few hundred feet while crossing the WW Bridge [actually on I-495] you will be in Washington D. C.

If you can make it to the DE Memorial Bridge in six hours from the Boston area (hopefully south of Boston, near I-95), you can make it to Fayetteville, NC in another seven or so, as long as you only stop for bathroom breaks and gas stops.

Of course, many factors will play a role in your journey. A "very early" start on Saturday is a good idea. And, to be sure, you are planning early. We've got some good friends from Newton, MA driving to WDW in October. Check back, and we'll fill you in on their driving experience.

Yes, three hours (average) to get from the DE Memorial Bridge (NJ/DE border) to the MD/VA border
Note: And for a few hundred feet while crossing the WW Bridge [actually on I-495] you will be in Washington D. C.

If you can make it to the DE Memorial Bridge in six hours from the Boston area (hopefully south of Boston, near I-95), you can make it to Fayetteville, NC in another seven or so, as long as you only stop for bathroom breaks and gas stops.

Of course, many factors will play a role in your journey. A "very early" start on Saturday is a good idea. And, to be sure, you are planning early. We've got some good friends from Newton, MA driving to WDW in October. Check back, and we'll fill you in on their driving experience.

Thank you! Yes, I know this is early planning. I am aware of the nightmare traffic in the DC area, but I am hoping that traffic won't be TOO bad on a Saturday. How about beyond DC? I have seen people saying that there can be traffic issues there as well on 95.

We drive from southeastern MA. We now drive straight thru but when we stopped we always stopped over night in Fayetteville. It took us about 12 hrs to get there, I think depending on traffic. There are lots factors- traffic, how many times you stop for bathroom/ stretch breaks etc.

We drive from southeastern MA. We now drive straight thru but when we stopped we always stopped over night in Fayetteville. It took us about 12 hrs to get there, I think depending on traffic. There are lots factors- traffic, how many times you stop for bathroom/ stretch breaks etc.
Makes sense. It takes us 11 hours from southern CT to Fayetteville.

Thank you! Yes, I know this is early planning. I am aware of the nightmare traffic in the DC area, but I am hoping that traffic won't be TOO bad on a Saturday. How about beyond DC? I have seen people saying that there can be traffic issues there as well on 95.

Arguably, the worst traffic on I-95 (south of NY and NJ) is the stretch from the WW Bridge to the Fredericksburg, VA area. Avoid this part of I-95 at rush hour at all costs! Add the Richmond area as well, especially with its dozens of curvy roadways.

Arguably, the worst traffic on I-95 (south of NY and NJ) is the stretch from the WW Bridge to the Fredericksburg, VA area. Avoid this part of I-95 at rush hour at all costs!

What hours should be avoided? First time driving to HHI from North Jersey, was hoping to leave at 9 am and get to Lumberton or Florence but think we probably should leave at 8.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

(edited to add .... we are starting from Montreal so I qualify to post on this thread :))

Last edited:
What hours should be avoided? First time driving to HHI from North Jersey, was hoping to leave at 9 am and get to Lumberton or Florence but think we probably should leave at 8.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

A few years ago we left southern NJ, across from Philadelphia, at 9am and stopped in Lumberton about 5:30pm. We took the western 495 loop around DC and stayed on 95 through VA. The western loop around DC was very busy but moving. We also encountered some slow traffic through Richmond.

Depending on how far north you are in NJ you should be able to be past Richmond before the afternoon rush builds.

Basically as the previous poster said, you just want to avoid the rush hour traffic in the metro areas.

I might suggest spending a few minutes scattered through a day and check Google traffic for your route to get a sense of the traffic to expect. You could also ask Google to plot your route with your expected start time to see how much traffic might impact your travel time. It might also help you select the best start time.

We stopped at the Best Western in Lumberton but perhaps that is a bit too far south for you.

A few years ago we left southern NJ, across from Philadelphia, at 9am and stopped in Lumberton about 5:30pm. We took the western 495 loop around DC and stayed on 95 through VA. The western loop around DC was very busy but moving. We also encountered some slow traffic through Richmond.

Depending on how far north you are in NJ you should be able to be past Richmond before the afternoon rush builds.

Basically as the previous poster said, you just want to avoid the rush hour traffic in the metro areas.

I might suggest spending a few minutes scattered through a day and check Google traffic for your route to get a sense of the traffic to expect. You could also ask Google to plot your route with your expected start time to see how much traffic might impact your travel time. It might also help you select the best start time.

Good info.

And the Waze app is informative.

Good info.

And the Waze app is informative.

We are on the road to WDW right now driving through Maryland. We left Connecticut at 4:30 am. No traffic in NY, NJ, DE, or MD, just a few rest stops along the way to Lumberton, NC.

Update: First sign of traffic on 295 W for mowing. Traffic was worse on 95, so we were rerouted. It’s cleared up.

Last edited:
It has been wet in the greater Orlando area the last few days (actually the last few weeks). Check those forecasts before starting your journey.

WDW Speedway gas (regular) this evening: $2.76.

FL average price: $2.78

USA average price: $2.87

I got gas in NH last night and it was 2.75.

It has been years since I did my CP and advanced internship and each time I drove there. The first time we started from Falmouth MA at midnight and drove 23 hours before stopping in Georgia. We were so tired at dinner we both were falling asleep. The night day the drive was about 3 hours.

When I did my advanced internship my dad drove down with me. We started in the Seacoast NH and drove as far as Lumberton NC. On the way home at the end of my advanced internship my best friend drove back with me. We stayed in NJ right near NY. I believe we went around DC and NYC. It may have taken a bit more time this way but I'd rather not drive through those big cities.

We're back home from an overnighter at Fort Wilderness' "Old Faithful Club."

For those new to this site, I'm the founder but since we moved to FL seven months ago, we no longer qualify to make posts on this site! :crazy2:

In any event: WDW Speedway (World Drive) gas (regular) was $2.65 today. FL average: $2.74. Nat'l average: $2.85.

We're back home from an overnighter at Fort Wilderness' "Old Faithful Club."

For those new to this site, I'm the founder but since we moved to FL seven months ago, we no longer qualify to make posts on this site! :crazy2:

In any event: WDW Speedway (World Drive) gas (regular) was $2.65 today. FL average: $2.74. Nat'l average: $2.85.

You provide us with extremely valuable information especially since you moved to FL. I look forward to your posts! I think everyone will agree you are 'grandfathered' in and can (and I hope will continue to) post any old time you want! I've learned so much from everyone on this site. Thank you all for sharing all your tips. My next drive will be in October down Rt 81. I'm hoping the fall color will be good.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter