"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grand Marshall BC1836,

I am a pilot, so if I fly myself down to orlando, does that still count? I can't technically fly to WDW because the runway has been closed for many moons, since way before I was born.

Maybe I could land on World drive late at night when there is no traffic. If a car is $17 to park, an RV $18, and a semi truck is $21. How much is it to park a plane?

Man, there a ton of smilies on this site but nothing airplane and pilot related.

Alas, plane "driving" does not qualify, unless you taxi it all the way to WDW. Members of this thread will chip it and pay for your one day parking.
(You'll definitely make the national TV news, though!). :happytv:

All the best. :thumbsup2

Door to door, with rest stops (not counting our overnight stop) we typically make the trip in about 17-18 hours. I can't really say exactly how much actual driving time it is. From our house in Cherry Hill, NJ to our rental in Kissimmee is roughly 1,025 miles depending on stops if that helps.

As for times to avoid, we don't follow that route on the weekends, only on weekdays when DC traffic is at its worst. There is traffic along parts of that route but nothing compared to DC traffic.

Thanks for the info. I try to leave early AM to avoid any DC problems, but this route may come in handy should an early start not be possible, or for a return trip where I'd be hitting the DC area at a bad time.

So would you say it is comparable in time when you go this way on weekdays versus 95 on weekends?

Have you taken this route in summer months too?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the info. I try to leave early AM to avoid any DC problems, but this route may come in handy should an early start not be possible, or for a return trip where I'd be hitting the DC area at a bad time.

So would you say it is comparable in time when you go this way on weekdays versus 95 on weekends?
Yes. It is comparable.

Have you taken this route in summer months too?
Yes. In fact, our last 5 or 6 trips were taken in August.

We got back Saturday. Going down it took a little over sixteen hours. There was construction in Virginia. The ride home took 15 1/2 hours. We left at 4:30am at got home at 8pm. We took 95 both ways.

We come from the Youngstown/Hubbard Ohio area and we been doing the I-79 to Rt-19 to I-77 route... Onto Rt-26 to I-95 and then I-4 to WDW...

We run it in about 17+ hours... Sometimes we stop at the Florida Welcome Center for a few hours rest... ( full on property security ) we leave home 4:30 am and prefer this time as to hit the big cities at non rush hours and especially Jacksonville and down I-4 in the early am before the traffic builds ...such a breeze at those times...

We get into WDW around 6 am... Check in, have breakfast, head to Publix for supplies and by then our room is usually ready or we swim until it is... Love having that full day ..

Thank you for the reply! That is the quickest route according to Google Maps. My dh keeps talking about heading east to catch I-95 but that adds on 1 - 1 1/2 hours. I'd really like to stick to the easiest and quickest route.

We got back Saturday. Going down it took a little over sixteen hours. There was construction in Virginia. The ride home took 15 1/2 hours. We left at 4:30am at got home at 8pm. We took 95 both ways.

That's our usual route but we never depart from WDW that early in the morning. As such, we usually have a stopover in VA, usually Emporia or Petersburg. We've done two straight drives home and we were exhausted upon arrival, so the stopover is becoming essential.

[We've never been to WDW in January or February. We hope to eliminate those months from our check list next year.]

So even though I'm not leaving for a week, I put the address in my Range Rover GPS while I was sitting in my driveway. Because you know, doing stuff like this makes the trip come quicker, right?

Anyways, google and Land Rover disagree about the exact mileage. Guess we'll soon find out who is right.

Fasten your seat belts! We are in the process of closing down the latest volume of this thread and preparing to open up the next part.

Stay tuned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter