FOOD OVERLOAD - Our 8 Day Report on the Dining Plan (w/Pics)(Updated:Jan 17 w/Day 7)

jenkh

DIS Veteran
Mother/Daughter Trip Report

Day 1 - Pepper Market/'Ohana - Below
Day 2 - Pepper Market/Crystal Palace - Post #12
Day 3 - Pepper Market/Boma - Post #18
Day 4 - Pepper Market/Sci Fi Cafe - Post #25
Day 6 - Corel Reef/Whispering Canyon Cafe - Post #40
Day 7 - Yorkshire House/Le Cellier - Post #56
Final Thoughts - Coming Soon

Hey All

Welcome to my “Mother/Daughter X-Mas Trip” Dining Report. You can get the lowdown on our trip through our trip report from the link above. It’s still a work in progress just like this report.
For some restaurants we never got our “real” total. So just to give a general idea of the money spent I’m showing the costs done by myself (no taxes or tip).
For those restaurants where we saw our true total I will note that.

I’m not going to do a star type rating because I would have no idea how to rate these restaurants. But I will give plenty of info about our experiences, our food and whether we’d go back again. So you can take that info and do with it as you see fit.

Before We Begin Our Food Overload:
14 Table Service Credits
14 Counter Service Credits
14 Snack Credits

Day 1 – December 1

11:45am
Pepper Market

Overall Service:
The Pepper Market was always great to us, so I’ll only do an overall service for it once. The food was always freshly made, and the wait staff and cooks were super friendly. It is a GREAT value for a counter service.

3 Soft Chicken Tacos with Rice and Beans. I got this. Although I enjoyed it, when I ordered I didn’t realize for the tacos there version of chicken is a stringy pulled pork type of texture. It was good, but these things were just stuffed with chicken, and I got sick of the texture. So I liked it, but could not finish it. Had I ordered the Soft Tacos again I would go for beef rather then chicken.

IMG_0394.jpg

Chicken Quesadilla with Rice and Beans. This was my mom’s choice. It was really good and she had no problem finishing it off. I took a bite, and it was really good, I would end up having one of these later on in the trip myself.

IMG_0395.jpg

We also got 2 Lemonades with our meal and a Chocolate Croissant and a Chocolate Chip Cookie. Unfortunately I don’t have any pictures of desserts at Pepper Market except once as we always got them to go, for breakfast the following morning and I always seemed to forget to take a pic. But they were always super yummy, big and fresh.

Bill: (Done by me – so not exact but if anything less then what it was)

Tacos – $12.95
Quesadilla – $11.95
Lemonade - $1.99
Lemonade - $1.99
Cookie - $2.99 (I think.. sorry)
Croissant - $3.99
Sub - Total: $35.86
10% Gratuity – $3.58
Total - $39.45
Cost to us : $0.00
Credits Remaining: 12 Counter Service

8:00pm
‘Ohana

Overall Service:

The atmosphere was great. We were seated by a window overlooking the castle. It was an amazing end to a first night at the World. Our server was very attentive, and one of her first questions was how we wanted to be served. Did we want everything to just come all at once, or have some time with the appetizers before the meat came. We chose the latter. She would come by every now and then checking in when we were ready for meat. The only downfall to this meal is we never got to try the turkey. Something must have happened in the kitchen (or grill in this case) As we got the 3 other meats and were told right away she was just waiting on turkey. This was the case for the whole meal. We finished our meal just before the Holiday Wishes fireworks were going to begin. I asked just to make sure that we could stay to watch (didn’t want someone else to be waiting on my behalf) And it was no problem. It was a really cool experience to see the fireworks from there. Also the performer going around singing was really good as well. Very interactive with both kids and adults. And all the people seated around us were in good spirits.

Mom with her Backscratcher – mom says it was delicious. Plus she got a cool souvenir.

IMG_0418.jpg

Me and my Lapu Lapu… very good but very strong.

IMG_0419.jpg

Mixed greens with a honey-lime dressing – Really yummy. We both could have made a meal just off this salad alone

IMG_0415.jpg

Fried Wontons served with peanut sauce, chimichurri sauce and harissa -
I enjoyed it, my favourite by far was the peanut sauce. My mom enjoyed them as well, but for 2 people there sure was a lot of food on the table.

IMG_0417.jpg

Spicy-sweet and sour shrimp – I don’t eat shrimp. Mom liked them, but she prefers her shrimp peeled. But she says they were cooked to perfection and had they been peeled she would have continued eating more of them.

IMG_0420.jpg

Maui Scalloped Potatoes – So amazing. I was in love with this, and wish I had more room to eat more.

IMG_0425.jpg

Stir-fried Vegetables – These were really yummy as well and cooked to perfection. They still had some crunch to them.

IMG_0423.jpg

Honey-coriander chicken wings – The wings were good. The sauce was really interesting, tangy but not too spicy. At this point both me and mom were starting to feel stuffed and the meat hadn’t even come yet.

IMG_0421.jpg

Marinated Sirloin Steak – I loved the steak, it was my favourite meat. It was cooked a nice medium/medium rare and was just great.

Asian Barbecue Pork Loin – I liked the pork loin but my mom found it a bit overcooked and dry.

Hawaiian Pork-sausage with pineapple terriyaki glaze – It was okay, but for me not great. My mom liked the sausage though.

'Ohana bread pudding a la mode with Bananas Foster Sauce - This was too die for. It looked really heavy, and we were already full, but between the two of us we finished it off no problem. If we come back to ‘Ohana I will know to leave more room for dessert.

IMG_0430.jpg

Bill (Exact)
2 Dinners : $64.47
2 Drinks : $26.17
Total – $90.64
Cost to us : $26.17
Credits Remaining: 12 Table Service

Coming Up Next Time: Pepper Market and Crystal Palace

You have me sooo excited for Ohana & Pepper Market! We are going to Ohana the first night as well and am looking fwd to the good eats (we have never been there before). Your pics are making my mouth water! YUMMMMY!

Great review with pictures! I really want some of those honey coriander wings, now!

Yum! With only 3 exceptions, we are eating at all the same restaurants, so I am looking forward to more of your reviews. :thumbsup2 Thanks for sharing!

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

Lovely piccies.

Great reviews! Thanks for sharing.

And I can't wait for the rest, since I'm staying at CSR (so lots of Pepper Market meals) and I have ADR's for almost every restaurant on your list! :teeth: We're doing 'Ohana our first night too!

Here we go again. Thanks all for the responses. These are my first ever trip/dining reports so it is much appreciated. I’m gonna sneak in one more day of dining here before Christmas party weekend sucks the rest of my weekend away.

Enjoy

Day 2
12:00pm
Pepper Market

Honey Garlic Chicken w/ Rice, Veggies and Egg Roll - This was a chef special. For those unfamiliar with the Pepper Market each section will have a chef special each day. It's sometimes something not normally available or a combination of things that are at a good price. My mom really enjoyed this one. The chicken was really good, and the egg roll was just jammed with veggies.

IMG_0442.jpg

Pasta Primavera with grilled chicken - I loved this dish. The pasta is cooked fresh to order and you could pick which pasta and sauce to go with it. You also could get fresh veggies with it, but this time I choose not to.

IMG_0441.jpg

The Bill (Not Exact)

Chinese - $13.95
Pasta - $10.95
Lemonade - $1.99
Lemonade - $1.99
Cherry Danish - $3.99
Muffin - $3.99

Sub-Total: $36.86
10% Tip: $3.68
Total: $ 40.54
Cost To Us: $0.00
Credits Remaining: 10 Counter Service

7:30pm
Crystal Palace

Overall Service: We always arrive to any ADR at least 15mins early. We were seated right on time. The characters were great as always. But even from last year the food quality seemed to go down. Unfortunately I have no pics of our plates simply because it wasn't interesting enough. We were actually a bit disappointed in the food. My mom went and got a piece of prime rib, and it was complete fat. And I don't mean, oh it was fatty. I mean it was a total hunk of fat, it jiggled and everything. She was appalled the server actually gave it to her when he saw what it was. So although I love the Crystal Palace because I love all things Winnie, this was our last time. We'd much rather spend our credits elsewhere on some much better food.

Here's some new pics of us with characters though:

IMG_0459.jpg

IMG_0456.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

The Bill (Exact - but Tip not included--- does anyone know what the DDP Tip is so I make these exact?)

2 Meals w/ Drinks - $59.62
Cost to Us: $0.00
Credits Remaining - 10 Table Service

Coming Up Next Time: Pepper Market + Boma

Why didnt mo just politely tell the server that the chunk of fat was unacceptable, and could they serve her a piece of meat instead? I know it isnt exactly polite to complain about what you are served, but It wasnt right to serve her something that should have been cut off, and set aside for the trash :confused3

She said she was going to, but apparently from what she could tell the whole Prime Rib looked like that.(Since they cut it fresh, she could only see what the next slice would be like) And if they weren't going to throw out a piece she doubted they'd throw out the whole prime rib. Plus being a buffet it wasn't like prime rib was her main meal. We probably should have said something, but at the time it wasn't that big of a deal to cause a huff and ruin a good evening otherwise. :bitelip:

Thanks again to everyone reading. And thanks hematite153 I'll be sure to add that in from now on when I don't have the exact bill.

Great reviews and awesome pics! Thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to the next installment. pooh:

Day 3
1:00pm
Pepper Market

Today was all about the food you didn’t feel guilty about not eating. We were just stuffed from all the good food.

I had a cheeseburger with fries – it was actually really yummy, and again cooked right to order.

IMG_0517.jpg

My mom had a chicken caesar wrap. Again it was really good. But I think between the two of us she ate one half, and I did just managed to finish the burger, but still had almost all the fries..

IMG_0518.jpg

Since we both had small lunches we decided to have a real dessert and got some soft serve double dutch chocolate ice cream. Very yummy and rich. It seemed like normal ice cream that had just been whipped into soft serve.

IMG_0519.jpg

Bill (Not exact)

Cheeseburger - $8.99
Wrap - $9.99
Lemonade - $1.99
Lemonade - $1.99
Ice Cream - $3.99
Ice Cream - $3.99

Sub-Total - $30.94
10% Tip - $3.09
Total - $34.03
Cost To Us: $0.00
Credits Remaining: 8 Counter Service

9:00pm
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Boma

Overall Service:
This one was a real gem. I’m not all that big on different food. I really did want to try some new restaurants but I was not expecting it to be as amazing as it was. We were seated right on time and our server Doug was really friendly. When checking in they asked if it was a special occasion and my mom mentioned how this whole trip was a partial birthday present for me. So they gave me a b-day pin and a card signed in different languages from servers/chefs in boma. It was really sweet. My mom tried a lot more things then I did, but she said something’s were missing labels. But we did have a later dinner, so they may have just been knocked down. All in all Boma is definitely on our list of restaurants to return to.

Drink time! I had the Dream-tini the new signature drink for the celebration. I really liked it and it came with a glow cube! (always a plus!)

IMG_0533.jpg

My mom had a Victoria Falls Mist. It was really good, very smooth.

IMG_0536.jpg

I started off with the carrot soup from Doug’s recommendation. It was SOOO good.

IMG_0532.jpg

My mom had Coconut Curried Chicken Soup. She really enjoyed it. It was really rich and thick but very good.

IMG_0535.jpg

For salads I had a green salad with mango dressing, a tossed apple salad (so good), and a watermelon rind salad. It was interesting but a taste was all I needed of it, and some fresh fruit.

IMG_0531.jpg

My mom had the same stuff as well as some potato salad and a macaroni salad.

IMG_0534.jpg

For my meal I had chicken fingers (gotta, I love them) Some mac and cheese, potatoes with afritude, a type of beef quiche and some veggies. All were very good.

IMG_0537.jpg

My mom had some pasta with meatballs but she said the meatball was gross, Saffron Rice, Potatoes with Afritude, Malabu Pepper Steak and sweet potato. She enjoyed everything else other then the meatball.

IMG_0538.jpg

And for dessert me and my mom had the same things. Chocolate mouse (SOOOO good), a banana and chocolate roll thing (my fav thing!) peach crumble, banana bread pudding and the infamous zebra dome. I loved the domes, but don’t see what all the huff is about, I found the mouse and banana roll thing just as good if not better.

IMG_0544.jpg

As a special treat Doug then showed up with this. It was a nice surprise and had some yummy things on it. The two chocolate balls were chocolate truffle liqueurs and very very rich.

IMG_0540.jpg

Bill (Not Exact)

1 Dinner - $25.99
1 Dinner - $25.99
18% Tip - $9.36
Total- $61.34
Credits Remaining: 8 Table Service

Drinks (Exact)

Glowtini - $9.25
Victoria Falls Mist - $7.00
18% Gratuity - $2.93
Tax - $1.06
Total: 20.24
We also tipped an extra 5 bucks
Total Cost to Us: $25.24

Coming Up Next Time: Pepper Market, Sci Fi Café and some cool snacks!

Thanks for all the comments. I can't believe how many people have read this post. :yay:

Yum! Great pictures! Glad to hear about the pasta and the chx strips. DS8 isn't very adventurous with his food intake. Thanks for the details! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter