Flying with Tide pods???

TheMorgans

Mouseketeer
Since we are going to be vacationing for 2 weeks this time one day of laundry is going to be a "must do". :laundy:

I want to use the pods this time because they are small and won't take up much room and I can take the exact amount that I will need. Has anyone flown with a few Tide (or any brand) pods? Will they rupture in my checked bag (from pressure)? Can they go through security in a carry on bag? Other than double bagged in a zip-seal bag, where is the best place to pack them.

TIA

If these just contain powder, they can go in your carry-on. They may cause your bag to be searched, as they look kind of dense. If they have liquid in them, they have to go in your 311 bag. They should be fine in checked baggage - can't imagine why they would explode. If I were checking a bag, I would pack them there. Just pack them in a ziploc bag.

I haven't flown with Tide Pods, but I have flown with Dropps packs. I used a sample pack, with three Dropps inside. The package was a ziptop bag, which I double-bagged in a ziplock. Then that went in the 3-1-1 bag, into my carryon. No leak/burst issue. I was actually more concerned about other things in my 3-1-1 bag leaking onto the Dropps and disintegrating the little packets, than the laundry packs breaking.

Double bag them, put them in your checked luggage. Don't waste the space in carryon. But, be sure to double bag them...just in case.

I bought a package of these to do laundry while travelling. I had them shipped home with other equipment. I think if have used them again I shipped them out ahead of me (see packing info below) with other items, but I can't really remember.

I'm planning on being abroad for 2 weeks and figure a few loads of laundry are probably in order. I'm curious if anyone has actually packed these in a 3-1-1 bag and what the results were? My strategy has been to put them in an empty pill bottle. In the smaller pill bottle, I can fit 2 and in the larger pill bottle I can squeeze in 4. I measured the mass of water the larger bottle can hold and it was ca. 140 g so it is ca. 140 mL.

The way I see it, in the strictest sense, each pod is an individual container of < 100 mL so packing several into a pill bottle before putting in the 3-1-1 should not violate the 100 mL rule. From a practical standpoint, it may be a moot point because the smaller bottle will probably fit in the 3-1-1 bag more easily.

We flew last August with the Purex Ultrapacks (similar to Tide Pods), packed them in our checked baggage, and had no issues with them exploding.

I have personally flown with Tide Pods. I would not but them in your carry-on. Not worth the aggregation/hassle of being under the scrutiny of TSA in my opinion. I just put them into my checked bag.

I put each individual Tide pod in a zip lock snack bag then bagged all of them in a quart sized zip lock freezer bag. I put the bag in a small Snapware container. I have taken 12 of them - no problem! None ruptured/leaked. You could also use a disposable Glad container. Something will fit into the container on the way home.

For fabric softener, I have packed the Dropps fabric softener pods. They are packed with a powder, so less concern of leaking/rupture.

I have also flown with premeasured single load size ziplock bags of Tide powder with no problems.

Have a great trip!

This assumes one checks baggage. I very rarely do so that is why I was asking about carry on. Given that I'm TSA PreCheck approved, hopefully they'll just let it pass if I decide to take them.

If I check anything for this trip, I'm going to get a Thule Round Trip and take my bike. :)

This assumes one checks baggage. I very rarely do so that is why I was asking about carry on. Given that I'm TSA PreCheck approved, hopefully they'll just let it pass if I decide to take them.

If I check anything for this trip, I'm going to get a Thule Round Trip and take my bike. :)

Just put them in your 311 bag.

Ok so i am going on an American airline flight soon. It states you can not take over 3 OZ of gel type clothes soap. (which tide pod constitutes gel type) So is this just for carry on, or ck'd baggage? We will be chking in a couple bags, but they scan ck'd luggage, too. I don't want any hassle. Please advise. Not buying detergent when we arrive at destination. Thx

Where are you seeing this? (I looked on the AA website and couldn't find anything about gel type laundry detergent.) You can't have an individual item that is more than 3.4 oz in your carry-on, but you can have as many as will fit in your 3-1-1 bag, and they don't care about how much you have in your checked luggage.

Ok so i am going on an American airline flight soon. It states you can not take over 3 OZ of gel type clothes soap. (which tide pod constitutes gel type) So is this just for carry on, or ck'd baggage? We will be chking in a couple bags, but they scan ck'd luggage, too. I don't want any hassle. Please advise. Not buying detergent when we arrive at destination. Thx

We've taken tide pods in our checked luggage with no problems. We just bring the entire bag of them, they come in a zip lock bag, and doesn't take up much room at all. This was on Southwest in Aug of 2015.

I have taken several Dropps - same as Tide pods - several times. I put them in a Glad container with dryer sheets, in my checked bag. Never had a problem

If you get the TSA app they have a "can I bring my...?" Section. It well tell you yes or no and carry or checked. If the item isn't listed, you can submit the info for clarification.

I put them in my checked bag. I put them in a Ziploc baggie and then in a small Rubbermaid container, just to play it safe.

When I had business trips that were over 1 week, I would check a bag and I would put small packs of liquid tide in gallon size Zip loc bags in the checked bag. Never had a problem. Even if TSA would have allowed it, I wouldn't have wanted to carry it around in my carry on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter