First Timer (Non-DVC) - Help me understand

MeeskaMooska13

DIS Veteran
I am planning a first trip to Aulani. I've looked a little into the cost going through Disney's website but I've heard you can rent points for a fraction of the cost. Of course, this is intriguing, but it's a little scary to me as well (too good to be true?). What are the cons for going this route?

I apologize if there is already a thread discussing this - I couldn't find it.

Thanks so much!

I'm sure someone will chime in with better pros/cons as we have only gone this route once. The con is that you are relying on another person to make and keep the reservation and to keep their DVC membership in good standing (like pay their annual dues). I honestly can't think of any other cons. A couple years ago we rented points through a broker to stay at Aulani. We received a confirmation number and called a few times ahead of the trip just to make sure all was fine with the reservation. The reservation was in our name, the cost was much better than the rack rate, and parking was free. We would definitely rent points again.

renting through a broker will probably be a bit more expensive, but will provide greater peace of mind because you aren't dealing directly with an individual.

I'm a DVC member who has rented points directly before, and there is really no downside. Have fun~

I'm sure someone will chime in with better pros/cons as we have only gone this route once. The con is that you are relying on another person to make and keep the reservation and to keep their DVC membership in good standing (like pay their annual dues). I honestly can't think of any other cons. A couple years ago we rented points through a broker to stay at Aulani. We received a confirmation number and called a few times ahead of the trip just to make sure all was fine with the reservation. The reservation was in our name, the cost was much better than the rack rate, and parking was free. We would definitely rent points again.
Thank you! Is there a cancellation policy?

renting through a broker will probably be a bit more expensive, but will provide greater peace of mind because you aren't dealing directly with an individual.

I'm a DVC member who has rented points directly before, and there is really no downside. Have fun~
Thank you! I asked the PP BUT, is there a cancellation policy?

I have used the broker Davids twice now to rent points at Aulani, they are amazing when it comes to this service, this is the link to their site where there are lots of FAQs and tons of info including a "cost calculator" https://www.dvcrequest.com/

The cons are major tho. You MUST makes sure you want the dates you pay for because there are no cancellations, once you are booked THAT IS IT. Check out all the details at Davids or spend some time reading the DVC boards here on the DIS. I know it can be very confusing but take your time and educate yourself before you jump into it.

Having said all of that, you do get free parking with the DVC point rentals so if you are comparing the current Aulani discounts to renting points make to factor in $37/night for parking with the direct Disney booking-that adds up!

if you are totally solid with your dates, renting is a huge savings! Go with a broker like David's rental.
But like a PP said ther is No cancellation... You go or lose your money.
Happy planning, I am sooo looking forward to my 1st aulani trip this July.
My 1BR ocean view rack rate is 1,111 before tax!! Without my Dvc I could never stay there!
Kerri

There is at least one broker that offers a cancel anytime policy but it costs more to add this service to your booking. However, you might also be able to get third party travel insurance that would cover you (not totally sure how that works). The best bet is to be totally sure that you can travel as the "risk" can be well worth the reward of the savings!

The other big con that no one has mentioned is that renting points may hook you and you can never go back! I rented DVC points from a broker to stay at the Villas at Grand Floridian back in October 2014 and guess what... I now own a DVC contract there. :rolleyes1

I have used the broker Davids twice now to rent points at Aulani, they are amazing when it comes to this service, this is the link to their site where there are lots of FAQs and tons of info including a "cost calculator" https://www.dvcrequest.com/

The cons are major tho. You MUST makes sure you want the dates you pay for because there are no cancellations, once you are booked THAT IS IT. Check out all the details at Davids or spend some time reading the DVC boards here on the DIS. I know it can be very confusing but take your time and educate yourself before you jump into it.

Having said all of that, you do get free parking with the DVC point rentals so if you are comparing the current Aulani discounts to renting points make to factor in $37/night for parking with the direct Disney booking-that adds up!
Wow! Thanks! Good to know!

There is at least one broker that offers a cancel anytime policy but it costs more to add this service to your booking. However, you might also be able to get third party travel insurance that would cover you (not totally sure how that works). The best bet is to be totally sure that you can travel as the "risk" can be well worth the reward of the savings!

The other big con that no one has mentioned is that renting points may hook you and you can never go back! I rented DVC points from a broker to stay at the Villas at Grand Floridian back in October 2014 and guess what... I now own a DVC contract there. :rolleyes1
Haha! That's what I'm afraid of!

if you are totally solid with your dates, renting is a huge savings! Go with a broker like David's rental.
But like a PP said ther is No cancellation... You go or lose your money.
Happy planning, I am sooo looking forward to my 1st aulani trip this July.
My 1BR ocean view rack rate is 1,111 before tax!! Without my Dvc I could never stay there!
Kerri
This is very convincing!

I might be ok leaving with a dvc contract to Aulani.

I rented points from an owner on the DVC Rental forum for a trip we took in December. We had a great experience and no issues, and it was a lot cheaper than paying Disney directly. Unless you get a really good discount (we got a 30% off in 2015), DVC rental is superior, especially if you have a car.

We rent points often for stays at WDW, and rented points for 6 nights at Aulani this past September. We went directly through an owner that we found around the 10 month mark on the rent/trade forum here. We did everything through email and PayPal.

Pros:
*MUCH cheaper
*Free parking
*Free laundry (if not in unit, you are given free tokens)
*Space of a villa & villa amenities (kitchen/kitchenette)

Cons:
*Must book pretty far in advance so you need to be firm on your dates and room type
*Availability may not be what you want, depending on when you book/travel
*Often have to pay half the cost or in full up front or well in advance
*Can't cancel, get a refund, or change dates
*No daily housekeeping
*Owner controls your reservation so this is a slight risk and you need a sense of trust

We rent points often for stays at WDW, and rented points for 6 nights at Aulani this past September. We went directly through an owner that we found around the 10 month mark on the rent/trade forum here. We did everything through email and PayPal.

Pros:
*MUCH cheaper
*Free parking
*Free laundry (if not in unit, you are given free tokens)
*Space of a villa & villa amenities (kitchen/kitchenette)

Cons:
*Must book pretty far in advance so you need to be firm on your dates and room type
*Availability may not be what you want, depending on when you book/travel
*Often have to pay half the cost or in full up front or well in advance
*Can't cancel, get a refund, or change dates
*No daily housekeeping
*Owner controls your reservation so this is a slight risk and you need a sense of trust
Thanks! Can you pay for maid service as an add-on?

Yes, I believe the rates are as listed below:
Additional Full Cleaning Rates:
Studio - $30.00 for each day requested
One-Bedroom - $45.00 for each day requested
Two-Bedroom - $60.00 for each day requested
Three-Bedroom - $75.00 for each day requested
Additional Trash & Towel Rates:
Studio - $15.00 for each day requested
One-Bedroom - $20.00 for each day requested
Two-Bedroom - $25.00 for each day requested
Three-Bedroom - $35.00 for each day requested

Yes, you can pay for maid service if you want.

For DVC reservations, there is normally limited housekeeping services. For stays of 7 nights or less, you will receive Trash & Towel service on the 4th day. This service will give you fresh towels, replenish toiletries, and empty trash.

For stays of 8 nights or longer, you will receive full housekeeping services on the 4th day (just like a regular cash stay) and Trash & Towel service on the 8th day. For longer stays, the two types of services alternate every fourth day.

DVC members and renters can always pay for extra Trash & Towel Service or for extra full housekeeping if desired. I can't remember the costs, but they vary depending on the size of the villa.

Edited to add: @Disney_Fan_01 has the prices for these services in post #16.

The above posters have it covered, but I wanted to mention that we didn't miss the maid service. We did re-use towels but had enough for the two of us, and you always have the option of washing your towels for free. In a 1BR or 2BR, you can simply toss them in the washer in your room or if in a studio, you'd receive free laundry tokens for the laundry room.

As for garbage, there is a garbage room on each floor where we just took out our own trash when it was full. There was extra garbage bags in the room. We didn't drink the coffee or use the toiletries in the room. They will likely give you more before your trash & towel service if you need it, but technically they are supposed to charge you for it. Mixed reports as to whether that actually happens.

Aside from those things, the only other difference was that I had to make up our bed each day, which is totally optional. So to us, everything we missed by not having maid service was no big deal and not worth the extra money to pay for it.

That's exactly what happened to us! Maybe we were there at the same time? We did the tour but were still pretty green about it and by the time we decided to pull the trigger a few months later, VGF was sold out. So, we're at Aulani which has worked out great. WE LOVE IT. But next year, I'm going to get a VGF resale.

That's exactly what happened to us! Maybe we were there at the same time? We did the tour but were still pretty green about it and by the time we decided to pull the trigger a few months later, VGF was sold out. So, we're at Aulani which has worked out great. WE LOVE IT. But next year, I'm going to get a VGF resale.

Sorry for going :offtopic: but yes!!!

I got a loaded VGF resale contract for probably $20 per point less than what DVD sold it to the first owners for... plus it was a small contract (75 points) and I have no regrets whatsoever! Well, except maybe I should have bought more points. We got spoiled on a one bedroom that first time. Sitting out on your balcony, watching the monorail glide by as the sun sets with your feet up and a glass of vino in hand :cloud9: that's my idea of paradise. We are staying in a VGF studio this October so I will be returning to paradise sooner rather than later!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter