First time on RCCL - doing Xmas on Odyssey of the Seas. Advice?

FigmentSpark

DIS Veteran
8 night southern from Dec 23-31 on the Odyssey of the Seas leaving from Fort Lauderdale. I can't believe I pulled the trigger on a non-Disney vacation, lol.

Well, we've done 3 DCL cruises, so we're no stranger to the waters, but that said, we have certain expectations, like all inclusive stuff and set seating. I know these are different on RCCL.

So, what package deals should we splurge on (not alcohol drinkers, but do like our coffee and pop)?
What on-ship things do we need to book asap (we have 2 young adult (19 and 21) who might like to try the more adventurous things to do.
What's off limits for us regular folk (no premium rooms for us)
We are going to Labadee (would have preferred Coco Cay, buy what can you do). Any advice?

What about before/after the cruise? Any hotel tips? What's the port entrance like? Do I want a rental car that I park or just take a taxi or a service (there are 5 of us)?

Looking for all the tips and advice in a hurry. December is almost here! 😊

I will sail Odyssey after you do so I cannot give you first hand experience.

However, I have sailed RCCL before so there are things I remember, and with this new cruise planned I have read a lot about Odyssey.

1. if you want set seating, make sure you book a set Dining Time and not My Dining.

2. If you don't drink alcohol but like fresh squeezed juices, special coffees (not from Starbucks), and mocktails then the Refreshment Package would be nice if the price is right. They are having a sale this weekend, but I have read Black Friday you can get some deals too. The thing is this, Royal lets you cancel a package and rebook if it goes down. It can go up.
If you just want pop (and have no issue about drinking standard coffee) you can get the Classic Soda Package and that will save you too.

3. If you don't want the young adults to miss out, you can book the following on the website or app: FlowRider Surf Lessons, iFLY Flight Experience, North Star Experience.

They don't have to take surf lessons, the FlowRider will be available for free. Just have to wait in line which could be long on sea days.

iFLY, I don't know too much about. Maybe someone on here can chime in. But if it is something they absolutely want to do I would book it as you're on a Xmas cruise and that ship will likely be full.

I believe (not positive) on port days the North Star is free. However, from what I read on sea days it is incredible going over the side of the ship. :confused3 From what I have read it is a fun experience and worth it once.

4. Off limits: Suite Sundeck, Suite Lounge, Crown Lounge, Coastal Kitchen, and some priority seating for shows and the pool on the ship.

5. Labadee, I haven't been in eons. We are doing Coco Cay. I cannot give advice, sorry.

6. Ft Lauderdale is not a difficult cruise port. We always Uber from airport (which is right there) or a hotel. There are quite a few hotels that are nearby that give airport shuttle so you can do that and save Uber.

For our trip we are staying at the Le Meridien (has airport shuttle, doesn't have free breakfast). There are lots of options, depends on what hotel chain you are most loyal to. (we are Bonvoy people)

The last thing I want to hassle around with is a rental car, YMMV. I would get 2 Ubers from hotel to cruise terminal if you can't get a large enough Uber (depends with all your luggage).

*** added information that you didn't specifically ask but I am sharing anyway ;)

Reserve seats for The Book in 270. That is the show that is hardest to get seats for. If memory serves me correctly, it will open for you November 1.

Check in ASAP. That way you can get boarding time you want.

If you want a specialty dining, look into the 3 night dining packages. That can save you money. You will only tentatively schedule the day 1 or day 2 when you pre-book online. Doesn't matter. You can book what you want and days you want when you get onboard. (Board the earliest you can if you are doing this.) If you need more help, lmk. (for Odyssey I would book Chops, Giovanni's, and Wonderland for the 3 night dining option as the other 2 have an uncharge)

Internet Package, get 1 plan, with 4 devices for your group. Do not get four individual as you will spend more. A LOT more. If they Key is cheaper than the internet package, consider it as that gives you VOOM internet plus some added perks. But it has to be a great deal. Likely, it won't be for your cruise as that is a notoriously busy time, but worth looking at.

Thanks. All good tips. Do you know about dress code? DCL has so much casual dress, except for formal night. Is there a formal night on RCCL and can you wear shorts/tshirts/sneakers to the main dinners? If not, I will prepare the men in my group now, so they can go shopping.

I haven't been on RCCL in a while but on their sister, Celebrity, it has become quite relaxed. I think as long as it isn't swimwear, tank tops, ripped clothing, and sandals (for men) they are ok.

Hopefully a man on here can chime in if they disagree.

I'll be on Odyssey about a month after you but I just got off Harmony of the Seas this past weekend.

We were Star class so didn't eat in the main dining room at all but from what I saw, there were plenty of people in shorts & t-shirts heading for the main dining room (and specialty dining) on both formal nights.

I'll be on Odyssey about a month after you but I just got off Harmony of the Seas this past weekend.

We were Star class so didn't eat in the main dining room at all but from what I saw, there were plenty of people in shorts & t-shirts heading for the main dining room (and specialty dining) on both formal nights.
Oh, that's interesting. The guys in my family will be happy to hear that.

8 night southern from Dec 23-31 on the Odyssey of the Seas leaving from Fort Lauderdale. I can't believe I pulled the trigger on a non-Disney vacation, lol.

Well, we've done 3 DCL cruises, so we're no stranger to the waters, but that said, we have certain expectations, like all inclusive stuff and set seating. I know these are different on RCCL.

So, what package deals should we splurge on (not alcohol drinkers, but do like our coffee and pop)?
What on-ship things do we need to book asap (we have 2 young adult (19 and 21) who might like to try the more adventurous things to do.
What's off limits for us regular folk (no premium rooms for us)
We are going to Labadee (would have preferred Coco Cay, buy what can you do). Any advice?

What about before/after the cruise? Any hotel tips? What's the port entrance like? Do I want a rental car that I park or just take a taxi or a service (there are 5 of us)?

Looking for all the tips and advice in a hurry. December is almost here! 😊
I don't know much about Quantum class specifically. So I'll speak to everything else:

For package deals:
- Definitely check for deals Thanksgiving week. Black Friday deals tend to be the best prices you'll see.
- Royal has a coffee card that is good for 10 espresso beverages. I think it works out to 50% off normally, not sure what it will be for the BF sale
- Soda package has 2 components - a cup you can use at the freestyle machine and loaded on your SeaPass so you can use it at any bar or dining room.
- Photo packages are likely to be discounted as well on BF. You know the drill with photos.
- Again, this would be the time to get a cabana at Labadee if you want to splurge on one.
- Same with internet.

- On Labadee, go to Columbus Cove. It's the furthest from the ship, but there's a boat that will take you there in the AM. A tram is available as well. But I recommend it because the water is a little calmer, there's less people and the sea floor isn't as rocky.

- Hotels I'd try to get something in the Highway 1/SE 17th St area. Lots of restaurants within walking distance. Also a Publix, Dollar Tree, Ross and TJ Maxx for anything you may have forgotten. And wine shops if you do decide to get a bottle or two (current restrictions are 1 bottle per person over 21).
- I suggest this area because Uber/Lyft is plentiful here and it'll take you about 5 minutes to get to the terminal.
- I like staying at the Hyatt Place. Rooms are huge (you can fit 8 people in a room and not feel crowded), there's free breakfast and wifi, and you can get a pretty good rate from the Valuetrips site. Site looks dodgy as heck, but it's never let me down. I learned about it originally from the CC forums.
- Don't bother with a rental unless you're planning to drive a lot.
- BTW, Royal's FAQ indicates that you can "also bring non-alcoholic beverages as carry-on items on boarding day. Non-alcoholic beverages may not exceed 12 standard (17 oz.) cans, bottles or cartons per stateroom."

- Port entrance, they want to see your passports when going in, so be prepared for that.
- Last time I was there (pre-pandemic) they had mobile passport and Global Entry coming back, which gets you through CBP super quick. Don't know if they have digital kiosks yet.

Thanks. All good tips. Do you know about dress code? DCL has so much casual dress, except for formal night. Is there a formal night on RCCL and can you wear shorts/tshirts/sneakers to the main dinners? If not, I will prepare the men in my group now, so they can go shopping.
- Dress code for formal night is now "dress your best", which essentially means nothing.
- Royal MDR can get chilly, so while you could wear shorts/Ts/sneakers, guys may end up wearing pants just so they don't freeze. I generally wear slacks/polos to dinner, fwiw.
- Every Royal cruise I've been on has had one night that I've dubbed Hawaiian shirt night.
- Royal doesn't hand out lanyards, although I think they will give you a pouch to hold your SeaPass if you need one.
- They also have a WOW band that links with your SeaPass. It's basically a Magic Band.

- Finally, check in online if you haven't done so already. That will speed up the process within the Terminal.

Our sailing is Dec 23, but I can't check in until Nov 8. I'm bummed about that. We've checked and a lot of excursions that interest us (and the cabanas) are sold out already. I'm also worried about getting a decent boarding time. Any idea if the boarding times are strictly enforced? Also can you go to your room right away, or is it like DCL where you have to wait until after 1pm, even though you're on the ship?

Thanks for the Black Friday tip. It can't hurt to wait on something that isn't selling out (like packages)

We have our DCL lanyards. Is it worth bringing them to have something or will the WOW band be enough?

Good tip about the passports. Do you know if they have a limit on luggage? I know DCL had, but didn't really enforce it.

Thanks for the tip about the restaurants being freezing. Half my family will be happy about that and the other half will be happy for the warning. 🙂

We are flying in 2 days early, as the flights are really expensive on Dec 22 (gee, wonder why?) Anyway, saw a few hotels near FLL, but we are flying in to MIA (and returning home via FLL), so we are wondering if a hotel on South Beach might be in order. I am concerned that what looks like a short distance on Google Maps, (from South Beach to Port Everglades) will turn out to be a massive headache on our sailing day. Maybe it's worth being closer to the port even for a few days?

For excursions, I would def check with the local tour groups. I really don't do the cruise excursions unless it involves going to Playa del Carmen.

I haven't been on a cruise since before the pandemic so I don't know what the deal is right now with boarding.

WOW bands cost about $10 so if you don't want to shell out then bring the lanyards.

Side note: no one will care that it's a DCL lanyard. Might even be a good conversation starter.

Side note 2: there isn't much door decorating on Royal. But don't let that stop you from doing it if that's your thing.

No luggage limit as far as I know.

If you're thinking of hanging out in South Beach, by all means, do it and figure out your travel based on that. Saturday morning shouldn't be too busy in any event. Bright line train might be an option as well.

Oh, I was going to ask about the door decorating. Their doors are magnetic, too?

Good tip about the non-ship tours. Might not have a choice.

I'll look the Bright Line Train up. Thanks.

Yep. Standard metal doors and walls.

I've never been to Aruba and Curacao, so I've no advice about them. But probably a google search on whatever excursions Royal is offering should get you some hits.

Forgot to mention - the "On a Roll" sushi making class is pretty fun. And plenty of food for an attendee and an observer (if they allow that)... or at least one university=aged child.

Last thing from me (for now) - enjoy your cruise! You WILL miss the Disney touches and that is to be expected after 3 DCL voyages. Really not much you can do about that.

Focus on what you can do, instead of what you can't do, so that even if Royal ends up not "being right for you", you'll still get as much enjoyment as you can out of the cruise.

Thanks. I think we'll like it. I think the fact that we booked 2 months before sailing will bite us, as well as all the new unknowns, but I have a feeling I'm going to hear "next time we will...." from my family. ☺️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter