Finally DVC Members now looking to add direct

Well, as I always like to point out - I'm no expert! lol

But the way I understood it was when DVC acquires contracts they can "repackage" them any way they want / need. So, the points just go in a "pool". If they get a 50 and 2 - 25's today, they can sell a 100 contract if that's what's next on the list. If they get a 250 today they can sell 10 25's if that's what's next in line. I guess I thought they'd "hold" small contracts to fill the guy looking for 500 if he's next in line.

I'm my understanding that it's easy to break up larger contracts into smaller, like your 250pt into 10 25pt example. Combining smaller contracts into larger is much harder, as the contracts have to be the same Unit # on the paperwork. You couldn't sell a 250 pt contract with 100 points from Unit 18C, 75 from Unit 19A, and 75 from Unit 6D for example.

I have a somewhat related question. My 11 month booking windows is this Sunday for our 2018 trip. I'm on the waitlist for 25 BLT direct points. I'm going to have to borrow some 2019 points for this trip as 2 sets of extended family are joining us and I need an extra room. I was concerned about what happens if I borrow 100 2019 points, but then the 25 direct points come through. I didn't want to be stuck with 50 points (25 2017 and 25 2018) I probably wont' be able to use. I just talked to my guide and she said to go ahead and secure my reservations, and they can reallocate the points after the fact since I bought some direct, and they would put the 50 2019 points back in the 2019 UY. I thought once points are moved forward that was it, couldn't be changed, buy maybe MS can make an exception with a direct purchase. Can anyone confirm/deny this is possible?

I'm my understanding that it's easy to break up larger contracts into smaller, like your 250pt into 10 25pt example. Combining smaller contracts into larger is much harder, as the contracts have to be the same Unit # on the paperwork. You couldn't sell a 250 pt contract with 100 points from Unit 18C, 75 from Unit 19A, and 75 from Unit 6D for example.

I have a somewhat related question. My 11 month booking windows is this Sunday for our 2018 trip. I'm on the waitlist for 25 BLT direct points. I'm going to have to borrow some 2019 points for this trip as 2 sets of extended family are joining us and I need an extra room. I was concerned about what happens if I borrow 100 2019 points, but then the 25 direct points come through. I didn't want to be stuck with 50 points (25 2017 and 25 2018) I probably wont' be able to use. I just talked to my guide and she said to go ahead and secure my reservations, and they can reallocate the points after the fact since I bought some direct, and they would put the 50 2019 points back in the 2019 UY. I thought once points are moved forward that was it, couldn't be changed, buy maybe MS can make an exception with a direct purchase. Can anyone confirm/deny this is possible?

I am sure it is possible but I would maybe call member services to make sure it is something that they are willing to do as well. They were able to move back banked points for those who were affected by hurricane Irma, so that shows that it is possible to do in the system, but I am sure it messes with things like availability. The only other time I could see them doing this for someone is when it involves getting more money into their pockets, such as through a direct sale.

I don't know exactly how they run these waitlists, but someone wanting 500 points direct probably doesn't want to pay closing costs on 100 points at a time, so they pass on smaller points that come available and stay on the waitlist. That is what we did for BCV recently, not that many points though! We actually called about 2 weeks ago looking for BWV direct and said any UY and they had 100 February points available immediately. We decided to purchase 50 points. Then 2 days later our waitlist for BCV came through, we couldn't believe it because we were told it would take a year to get points at BCV. So we had to make a decision because we weren't planning on buying both at the same time. After much thought we decided we have to go with our first choice BCV, so we just called Disney this morning and said we would have to wait to get BWV points at another time. Long story short, if you want 50 Feb BWV points or less, I would call them today and see if you can grab any of the points that we just gave back. Good luck!

Thank you for this :) I didn’t call since I already called my Guide the day before and I want to be on his good side, if you know what I mean. Hopefully they will get enough points for the 500 pt contract and it will start moving quicker. I just need to learn to have patience!

I've been trying to add on 25 DEC UY BWV points for the last month and wait list has not came through yet. Called Guide again yesterday and he stated it's very unlikely at this point due to being so close to the end of the UY .

I hope you get your points soon! Good luck!

When a resort unit is assigned a UY, that is fixed. Contracts are divisions of those units and cannot be changed to another UY. Looking at VGF, if you had a March UY, for example, the only units that will benefit you on the waitlist will be units 1I, 7B, and 8A. If DVD, Inc. reacquires a Unit 2E contract (by way of ROFR, or foreclosure), that would only benefit someone looking for an April UY, regardless of their spot on the waitlist.

Assuming that 2E contract had points available, those would be sold to the first person on the waitlist for April points. There's some speculation that Disney could draw on "cash points" to fill a contract, but I've come to believe that's unlikely.

Others can correct me if this is wrong, but DVD cannot combine two separate units (in this example, 1I, and 7B) to make one contract that can sell for those points. So if two 25 point 1Is come in, and a 50 point 7B comes in, they can offer you a 50 point contract from either 1I or 7B, a 25 point contract from either 1I or 7B, or two 50 point contracts totaling 100 points with two two closing costs, but they cannot offer you a single contract for the 100 points (or any amount above 50 points, for that matter).*

So regardless of how many re-acquisitions you see on the ROFR thread or on the OCC site, unless the unit matches up with your UY, the condo lease has the points available for DVD to sell, and you are the first in line for that month, you won't benefit.

So you can see why the wait listing for VGF and other older resorts are discouraged by the sales folks during a tour because the longer you sit on that waitlist, the longer you spend doing research and learning about other options outside of directly buying from DVD.

*Edited to clarify you would be offered two 50-point contracts

Wow this is so complicated. Where can you find more information like this? It’s so interesting. It sounds like with a 500pt contract in front of me, it’s going to take forever! I hope something happens before Feburary. But I’m really hoping before December, which sounds unlikely...

I am sure it is possible but I would maybe call member services to make sure it is something that they are willing to do as well. They were able to move back banked points for those who were affected by hurricane Irma, so that shows that it is possible to do in the system, but I am sure it messes with things like availability. The only other time I could see them doing this for someone is when it involves getting more money into their pockets, such as through a direct sale.

I found a definitive answer in the ownership docs, looks like my guide knew what she was talking about. Now to hope I can get the addon before Feb 2018 to get those sweet 2017 points as well.

Borrowing Home Resort Vacation Points. A Club Member may Borrow under the following guidelines:
1) Club Members may Borrow up to one hundred percent (100%) of their allotted Home Resort Vacation Points from their next succeeding Use Year to secure a reservation in the immediately preceding Use Year.

2) Once Borrowed, Home Resort Vacation Points cannot be returned to their original Use Year and will expire if not used by the end of the Use Year into which they were Borrowed, except that if Club Members purchase an additional Ownership Interest after Borrowing Home Resort Vacation Points, Club Members may substitute newly allocated Home Resort Vacation Points of a current Use Year for the Borrowed Home Resort Vacation Points that were used toward a future reservation and the Borrowed Home Resort Vacation Points will be returned to their original Use Year

Wow this is so complicated. Where can you find more information like this? It’s so interesting. It sounds like with a 500pt contract in front of me, it’s going to take forever! I hope something happens before Feburary. But I’m really hoping before December, which sounds unlikely...

This thread really sent me down a rabbit hole. The OCC site is amazing.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/v...oller-website-and-rofr.3516339/#post-55895275

The 500pt contract ahead of you probably won't affect your add-on wait. Unless of course, you're also waiting for 500 points from the same UY. If you're looking for a small add-on, you'll likely get it the first day of your UY.

This thread really sent me down a rabbit hole. The OCC site is amazing.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/v...oller-website-and-rofr.3516339/#post-55895275

The 500pt contract ahead of you probably won't affect your add-on wait. Unless of course, you're also waiting for 500 points from the same UY. If you're looking for a small add-on, you'll likely get it the first day of your UY.

Wow!!! Well at least we’re only waiting on a small contract and not waiting on 500pts. That’s good to know!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter