Finally DVC Members now looking to add direct

That would not be too concerning to me then. Feb is by far the largest use month for them, with something like 37% of the total points. Yes, this would lead to more people looking to add direct, but also tons more ROFR and foreclosures to pick from.

I was hoping it wouldn't take too long. Just looked at one resale site and there are 4 Feb UY contracts with that are marked sale pending. It would be easy for Disney to exercise ROFR on those.

I'm on a waitlist for both BLT and OKW for 25 points and a December use year. My agent started it October 1 and didn't give much hope that anything would open up before December. I talked to him last Friday and he said that someone who had been on a waitlist for BLT a little longer than me had closed on a contract. I decided not to bug my agent. If nothing becomes available by November 29, I'll settle on 25 points at the Polynesian.

So I called my rep today, and nothing much has changed. He told me there are 3 more people after me since I was put on the list. He didn't tell me where I'm at on the list but told me there's a wait for 500, 150, and I can't remember 300 point? contracts in front of me. It sounds like it's going to take forever! Is Feb BWV rare? And I haven't seen any Feb BWV resale either... Though he did tell me smaller contracts move faster.

I just closed on a BWV resale and wanted to do a small direct add on - won't be in the DVC system until next week at which point I plan to call. Our UY is April.

So I called my rep today, and nothing much has changed. He told me there are 3 more people after me since I was put on the list. He didn't tell me where I'm at on the list but told me there's a wait for 500, 150, and I can't remember 300 point? contracts in front of me. It sounds like it's going to take forever! Is Feb BWV rare? And I haven't seen any Feb BWV resale either... Though he did tell me smaller contracts move faster.

If that means they are bypassing people looking for 300 and 500 points to fill 25 pointers, that sucks. That's not how it should work.

Feb. is 12.9%. A fairly average representation. Dec is highest at 19.5%.(2014 data)

If that means they are bypassing people looking for 300 and 500 points to fill 25 pointers, that sucks. That's not how it should work.

Well that’s what he told me on a previous phone call not this time, sorry I should have made that clear. I think he was trying to make me feel better about it and told me it’ll take a while but it will happen. I don’t know how all of this works. Does it just mean, smaller contracts comes in more often than a contract that is 500. I would think 150 and 300 come in all the time more than a huge one.

If I needed 500 points, I would rather buy two or 3 smaller contracts as it would be hard to sell a 500 point one down the road.

Well that’s what he told me on a previous phone call not this time, sorry I should have made that clear. I think he was trying to make me feel better about it and told me it’ll take a while but it will happen. I don’t know how all of this works. Does it just mean, smaller contracts comes in more often than a contract that is 500. I would think 150 and 300 come in all the time more than a huge one.

Well, as I always like to point out - I'm no expert! lol

But the way I understood it was when DVC acquires contracts they can "repackage" them any way they want / need. So, the points just go in a "pool". If they get a 50 and 2 - 25's today, they can sell a 100 contract if that's what's next on the list. If they get a 250 today they can sell 10 25's if that's what's next in line. I guess I thought they'd "hold" small contracts to fill the guy looking for 500 if he's next in line.

It makes sense to me. Why would Disney want to just hold on to points, paying MFs on them, just to wait until they have 500, when they can be selling them instead? As an owner I appreciate that they sell as quickly as possible because it means I am not covering other people's dues as much.
If people really want 300 points, they can go on the waitlist for 3 separate 100 point contracts.

It makes sense to me. Why would Disney want to just hold on to points, paying MFs on them, just to wait until they have 500, when they can be selling them instead? As an owner I appreciate that they sell as quickly as possible because it means I am not covering other people's dues as much.
If people really want 300 points, they can go on the waitlist for 3 separate 100 point contracts.

I see your point and I would hope that the 300 point guy is at least being offered that option. He should get the phone call first saying, I can offer you 100 or 150 today and waitlist the rest or they're going to someone else. And I'm not talking about holding for months on end. Just that it would seem from a customer service standpoint they would try to fill the guy willing to spend $50K in a timely manner.

But the way I understood it was when DVC acquires contracts they can "repackage" them any way they want / need. So, the points just go in a "pool". If they get a 50 and 2 - 25's today, they can sell a 100 contract if that's what's next on the list. If they get a 250 today they can sell 10 25's if that's what's next in line. I guess I thought they'd "hold" small contracts to fill the guy looking for 500 if he's next in line.

I think I misspoke. He never said I would get my smaller points quicker. He said there’s a 500 pointer in front of me and that’s going to take a while. So he could have meant that a smaller contracters would move faster than a larger. My bad ;)
So this makes more sense. Since there’s that large contract waiting, it’ll be a while until they get 500 points together. If it were just the small ones, once they get a 150 they could get a bunch of small contracts off the list.

If I needed 500 points, I would rather buy two or 3 smaller contracts as it would be hard to sell a 500 point one down the road.

I think I saw on one of the promotional things I got in the mail, there was as an incentive to buy bigger contracts. Like a discount. When I started looking into DVC I hadn’t even thought of the resell ability but trying to save more money when buying.

I think I saw on one of the promotional things I got in the mail, there was as an incentive to buy bigger contracts. Like a discount. When I started looking into DVC I hadn’t even thought of the resell ability but trying to save more money when buying.

That makes sense for Disney when they are trying to move tons of points, like at the Poly or CCV. They still have incentives for those places. Once a place is sold out, obviously the sales slow down, so they can move the price up and sell as few or as many points as they feel best fits their needs.

I see your point and I would hope that the 300 point guy is at least being offered that option. He should get the phone call first saying, I can offer you 100 or 150 today and waitlist the rest or they're going to someone else. And I'm not talking about holding for months on end. Just that it would seem from a customer service standpoint they would try to fill the guy willing to spend $50K in a timely manner.

Yes, that does seem the most fair to me.
Really, if someone wants 300 or more points, it makes so much more sense for them to go the resale route. Both for price and convenience. Who am I to judge what people do with their time and money, though?

We have added on three small direct BWV contracts, sort of recently. In early 2014 we went on waitlist for 55 points in both our UY, June and Aug. The June came through in like two weeks. Yay! But then, after about two months, they called and told us they forgot to take us off the Aug UY and now they had 55 of those if we wanted them. We could not resist and took just 25 of them. But then that 25 Aug UY was tough to use with the 55 June since we are always in borrow mode. So end of Aug 2016, we called our guide to see if they just happened to have 25 more BWV Aug UY for 20th anniversary present or DH's birthday (both on same day). And, low and behold, they had them available immediately. Happened to get our free DVC tote right on anniversary/DH's birthday.

We also tried to call for immediate points in 2015 and they did not have them. Guide wanted to put us on waitlist but we passed.

Last edited:
I've been trying to add on 25 DEC UY BWV points for the last month and wait list has not came through yet. Called Guide again yesterday and he stated it's very unlikely at this point due to being so close to the end of the UY .

When a resort unit is assigned a UY, that is fixed. Contracts are divisions of those units and cannot be changed to another UY. Looking at VGF, if you had a March UY, for example, the only units that will benefit you on the waitlist will be units 1I, 7B, and 8A. If DVD, Inc. reacquires a Unit 2E contract (by way of ROFR, or foreclosure), that would only benefit someone looking for an April UY, regardless of their spot on the waitlist.

Assuming that 2E contract had points available, those would be sold to the first person on the waitlist for April points. There's some speculation that Disney could draw on "cash points" to fill a contract, but I've come to believe that's unlikely.

Others can correct me if this is wrong, but DVD cannot combine two separate units (in this example, 1I, and 7B) to make one contract that can sell for those points. So if two 25 point 1Is come in, and a 50 point 7B comes in, they can offer you a 50 point contract from either 1I or 7B, a 25 point contract from either 1I or 7B, or two 50 point contracts totaling 100 points with two two closing costs, but they cannot offer you a single contract for the 100 points (or any amount above 50 points, for that matter).*

So regardless of how many re-acquisitions you see on the ROFR thread or on the OCC site, unless the unit matches up with your UY, the condo lease has the points available for DVD to sell, and you are the first in line for that month, you won't benefit.

So you can see why the wait listing for VGF and other older resorts are discouraged by the sales folks during a tour because the longer you sit on that waitlist, the longer you spend doing research and learning about other options outside of directly buying from DVD.

*Edited to clarify you would be offered two 50-point contracts

Last edited:
When a resort unit is assigned a UY, that is fixed. Contracts are divisions of those units and cannot be changed to another UY. Looking at VGF, if you had a March UY, for example, the only units that will benefit you on the waitlist will be units 1I, 7B, and 8A. If DVD, Inc. reacquires a Unit 2E contract (by way of ROFR, or foreclosure), that would only benefit someone looking for an April UY, regardless of their spot on the waitlist.

Assuming that 2E contract had points available, those would be sold to the first person on the waitlist for April points. There's some speculation that Disney could draw on "cash points" to fill a contract, but I've come to believe that's unlikely.

Others can correct me if this is wrong, but DVD cannot combine two separate units (in this example, 1I, and 7B) to make one contract that can sell for those points. So if two 25 point 1Is come in, and a 50 point 7B comes in, they can offer you a 50 point contract from either 1I or 7B, a 25 point contract from either 1I or 7B, or two 50 point contracts totaling 100 points with two two closing costs, but they cannot offer you a single contract for the 100 points (or any amount above 50 points, for that matter).*

So regardless of how many re-acquisitions you see on the ROFR thread or on the OCC site, unless the unit matches up with your UY, the condo lease has the points available for DVD to sell, and you are the first in line for that month, you won't benefit.

So you can see why the wait listing for VGF and other older resorts are discouraged by the sales folks during a tour because the longer you sit on that waitlist, the longer you spend doing research and learning about other options outside of directly buying from DVD.

*Edited to clarify you would be offered two 50-point contracts

I did realize the UY could not be changed but never thought about the unit part.

I did realize the UY could not be changed but never thought about the unit part.

I think this, in part, explains a little why some slightly more expensive contracts will get ROFR'd, but a cheaper contract will pass. I'm sure price is still the prevailing factor (I don't see DVD buying a $140/pt BCV contract to fill a waitlist), but I can see how a waitlist might play into this.

I don't know exactly how they run these waitlists, but someone wanting 500 points direct probably doesn't want to pay closing costs on 100 points at a time, so they pass on smaller points that come available and stay on the waitlist. That is what we did for BCV recently, not that many points though! We actually called about 2 weeks ago looking for BWV direct and said any UY and they had 100 February points available immediately. We decided to purchase 50 points. Then 2 days later our waitlist for BCV came through, we couldn't believe it because we were told it would take a year to get points at BCV. So we had to make a decision because we weren't planning on buying both at the same time. After much thought we decided we have to go with our first choice BCV, so we just called Disney this morning and said we would have to wait to get BWV points at another time. Long story short, if you want 50 Feb BWV points or less, I would call them today and see if you can grab any of the points that we just gave back. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter