Fastpass return or replacement?

I'm willing to bet that whatever Disney comes up with, Group 1'ers will find a way to adapt and plan the living daylights out of their vacation.

Of course we will. It’s just in our nature!😁😁😁. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS OVER-PLANNING! LoL!

Obviously my first choice would be a hybrid system that would let me get a certain number free and then buy more if wanted/needed. From what Remy posted while he was still here, I am optimistic about the future of fastpass.

I too am hopeful for a hybrid system. I am fine if free FPs (or wishes or whatever they will be called) are tiered by other factors such as resort class, room type, or frequent spending (like a frequent flyer program). It makes sense…spend more, get more perks. I understand then that this means that these FPs are not technically “free” as you are paying for it somehow. Every business does it. My wife is a Nordstrom VIP because she spends too much money there. Marriott and American Airlines give me upgrades all the time because I spend money on their product. Loyalty rewards programs are everywhere, why not at Disney World.

I am also fine that Disney will let you bypass the required spending to “earn” a FP and just let you buy a FP. I mean American Airlines gives me an option to buy a first-class ticket, but they will also let me use miles to get an upgrade or sometimes they will automatically upgrade for “free” if there is an open seat up there in the front.

Disney could be rolling out a similar system.

1 night in a value = 1 free wish for each guest
1 night in a moderate = 2 free wishes / guest
1 night in a deluxe = 3 free wishes / guest
1 night in Club level = more free wishes
Spend a $1,000 on dining = another wish
Renew an annual pass = you get a wish
Stay more than 10 nights = an extra wish

and so on and so on and so on.

I would be fine with this. And I assume wishes can get you more than just FPs. Save up enough wishes and you can get free snacks, a $25 quick service voucher, or save enough and you can redeem them for a dessert party.

thoughts?

What kind of odds are we putting on Fastpass (in some iteration) being back by Summer 2022?

What kind of odds are we putting on Fastpass (in some iteration) being back by Summer 2022?
As in before Labor Day? Not likely given the issues Remy alluded to before disappearing. But shortly after that, when the holiday weekend is over, they are either going to have to fish or cut bait for the 50th. My guess is that they don't want a PR nightmare for the anniversary kick-off so if the new system is not up and running in early September when crowds are historically lighter, we won't see the new system until after the Christmas holidays are over.

As in before Labor Day? Not likely given the issues Remy alluded to before disappearing. But shortly after that, when the holiday weekend is over, they are either going to have to fish or cut bait for the 50th. My guess is that they don't want a PR nightmare for the anniversary kick-off so if the new system is not up and running in early September when crowds are historically lighter, we won't see the new system until after the Christmas holidays are over.
OP was asking about summer 2022 not 2021, I think most assume it will be back by then but in what state we have no clue.

Just got back yesterday. The park lines are a mess. Peter Pan went back to Columbia Harbor House. Haunted Mansion past Liberty boat. Couldn't figure out where space mountain line started, looked like a bunch of different lines broken up in parts. Even the Three Amigos in Mexico was confusing where to get in line. Runaway Railway was 90 minutes in the sun and kept breaking down.We were at Hollywood Studios from 9 to 6 and it felt like we were there a week. I'm ready for fast pass + to come back. I rather be in my living room 60 days out in the A/C sipping a drink planning my day than doing that again. We were wondering when we there if this their way of convincing us that paying for Fastpass was a good idea. The amount of people asking cast members how to get Fastpass... I lost count.

Wilderness Lodge on the other hand, knocked it out of the park as usual. Love it.

Of course we will. It’s just in our nature!😁😁😁. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS OVER-PLANNING! LoL!

I too am hopeful for a hybrid system. I am fine if free FPs (or wishes or whatever they will be called) are tiered by other factors such as resort class, room type, or frequent spending (like a frequent flyer program). It makes sense…spend more, get more perks. I understand then that this means that these FPs are not technically “free” as you are paying for it somehow. Every business does it. My wife is a Nordstrom VIP because she spends too much money there. Marriott and American Airlines give me upgrades all the time because I spend money on their product. Loyalty rewards programs are everywhere, why not at Disney World.

I am also fine that Disney will let you bypass the required spending to “earn” a FP and just let you buy a FP. I mean American Airlines gives me an option to buy a first-class ticket, but they will also let me use miles to get an upgrade or sometimes they will automatically upgrade for “free” if there is an open seat up there in the front.

I would be fine with this. And I assume wishes can get you more than just FPs. Save up enough wishes and you can get free snacks, a $25 quick service voucher, or save enough and you can redeem them for a dessert party.

thoughts?

My guesses based on their investor statements alluding to monetizing the parks are as follows:

1. "Free" fast passes are gone for good

2. "Paid fast passes" only for the most desirable 2-3 rides in each park. These will utilize demand pricing which could vary throughout the day. Will be purchasable when one is in the park, once the algos have enough data Disney will be able to price the fast passes perfectly such that they remain available and that standby waits remain at what they feel is acceptable. May also be used as incentives at times to drive deluxe resort or club level room bookings.

3. "Genie Wishes" granted while in the park for other rides. These will be used to reward the most profitable guests and drive in park spending. I don't think the distribution of the wishes will as transparent as buy x and get y...once their algos get smart they may be also able to use these wishes to drive guests to certain parts of the park to control crowding and predict which guests will actually spend more money in the park if their waits are shorter. I can see this being offered only to those staying on property.

4. Permanent changes to Annual Passes to the current reservation system. Maximum 3 outstanding reservation days unless staying on property.

My guesses based on their investor statements alluding to monetizing the parks are as follows:

1. "Free" fast passes are gone for good

2. "Paid fast passes" only for the most desirable 2-3 rides in each park. These will utilize demand pricing which could vary throughout the day. Will be purchasable when one is in the park, once the algos have enough data Disney will be able to price the fast passes perfectly such that they remain available and that standby waits remain at what they feel is acceptable. May also be used as incentives at times to drive deluxe resort or club level room bookings.

3. "Genie Wishes" granted while in the park for other rides. These will be used to reward the most profitable guests and drive in park spending. I don't think the distribution of the wishes will as transparent as buy x and get y...once their algos get smart they may be also able to use these wishes to drive guests to certain parts of the park to control crowding and predict which guests will actually spend more money in the park if their waits are shorter. I can see this being offered only to those staying on property.

4. Permanent changes to Annual Passes to the current reservation system. Maximum 3 outstanding reservation days unless staying on property.

I disagree that free FP are gone for good. My guess is they’ll be available either only for deluxe resort guests or in larger quantities for deluxe resort guests. But I don’t think they’re gone for everyone for good.

I think the problem might be witht eh park reservations -- you wouldn't be able to get a FP without being already reserved for that park. ADRs don't usually work that way. So if they are having trouble adjusting FPs, it might be because they are either thinking about losing the park reservation system, therefore are holding out on bringing back FPs until that decision is made, or tha locking those two things together is trickier than it sounds.

I think the problem might be witht eh park reservations -- you wouldn't be able to get a FP without being already reserved for that park. ADRs don't usually work that way. So if they are having trouble adjusting FPs, it might be because they are either thinking about losing the park reservation system, therefore are holding out on bringing back FPs until that decision is made, or tha locking those two things together is trickier than it sounds.

Yes. I’ve maintained that rolling out this new system is harder than folks are really considering.

You need to sync up the FP system with the park reservation system and the new park hopping system. That’s pretty complicated. Then they clearly want the Genie app to be able to give you customized itineraries based on your reservations and interests, and they want those itineraries to be able to be changed throughout the day, based on changes in your preferences, wait times, etc.

That’s all really complicated. From what we heard from Remy before he went away, Genie testing apparently did not go well (aka it knocked out large portions of the rest of the system).

I disagree that free FP are gone for good. My guess is they’ll be available either only for deluxe resort guests or in larger quantities for deluxe resort guests. But I don’t think they’re gone for everyone for good.

The system as we know it is likely gone. They may give resort guests more access to the 2nd tier rides using some sort of allocation scheme. The FP for the most popular rides (they are calling this premier access in the Paris park) will likely be at an additional cost. I can see them including them to drive deluxe/club sales during slow times but I don't see them giving them to all deluxe resort guests (maybe for club level guests)...to make it worth their while they need to sell some and they have to walk a fine line of keeping the standby lines manageable. I can see the prices ranging form $10-20 per person per ride depending on demand and how long the standby lines are.

My guess personal guesses
97% By next summer
85% by this Christmas
80% by this Thanksgiving
70% by this Halloween
60% by October 1st.
35% by September

seems like most people are more certain than not that there will be something by 10/1. Wonder if they will announce soon?

The system as we know it is likely gone. They may give resort guests more access to the 2nd tier rides using some sort of allocation scheme. The FP for the most popular rides (they are calling this premier access in the Paris park) will likely be at an additional cost. I can see them including them to drive deluxe/club sales during slow times but I don't see them giving them to all deluxe resort guests (maybe for club level guests)...to make it worth their while they need to sell some and they have to walk a fine line of keeping the standby lines manageable. I can see the prices ranging form $10-20 per person per ride depending on demand and how long the standby lines are.

I disagree that you can look at Paris and extrapolate to WDW. There are way more rides at WDW than at Disneyland Paris. Keep in mind they had a paid system at Disneyland for years and didn’t put one into WDW.

I could also see them doing it like they currently do magic bands where you can buy discounted ones in advance if you are staying at certain hotels. I could definitely see them making a cheaper deluxe pre-pay option if they don't decide to give a few free ones out

I disagree that you can look at Paris and extrapolate to WDW. There are way more rides at WDW than at Disneyland Paris. Keep in mind they had a paid system at Disneyland for years and didn’t put one into WDW.

It is in Paris and Shanghai right now. That is the test...they are working out the kinks and as long as it is successful in those parks will roll it out in CA and FL - this will very likely occur before Oct 1. I doubt they will try to sell the passes for all the rides at WDW - it will just be for what they deem to be most popular rides (7DMT, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Avatar, Frozen, Rise of the Resistance etc...).

It is in Paris and Shanghai right now. That is the test...they are working out the kinks and as long as it is successful in those parks will roll it out in CA and FL - this will very likely occur before Oct 1. I doubt they will try to sell the passes for all the rides at WDW - it will just be for what they deem to be most popular rides (7DMT, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Avatar, Frozen, Rise of the Resistance etc...).
Shanghai has had paid fastpass for over 4 years now, how long do they need to test it? And what you have been saying is so far off from what several people with very credible sources have been saying.

But we don’t know this for sure. It’s speculation. Moreover, Disney has a precedent of doing things differently in different parks. For example, as someone said, a paid system has been in place in Shanghai for years. It’s been in Disneyland for years.

thoughts?
Sounds like what they are doing for dlr

Shanghai has had paid fastpass for over 4 years now, how long do they need to test it? And what you have been saying is so far off from what several people with very credible sources have been saying.
I think that when you add 3 more theme parks and park hopping into the mix, it complicates things a lot. If it was as easy as just using the same system that Shanghai uses, WDW would have had it sooner. I agree that pointing at France and China and saying that's the test for WDW ignores the much more complex environment in WDW.

I think that when you add 3 more theme parks and park hopping into the mix, it complicates things a lot. If it was as easy as just using the same system that Shanghai uses, WDW would have had it sooner. I agree that pointing at France and China and saying that's the test for WDW ignores the much more complex environment in WDW.
Yep, agreed. WDW is so unlike every other park around the world, it just can't be compared.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter