• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Everything Genie, Genie+ and Individual Lightning Lane - Please Read Posts 1-7

Is it possible to 'modify' a lightning lane for a later return time then originally?

For example, I'm planning on stacking lightning lanes for Hollywood studios afternoon /evening visit, but we likely won't be into the park until later in the afternoon. If I get an early return time for slinky dog, say at noon or something, would I be able to go in a little bit later and modify it to 5:00? Or does the modify only work to get an earlier time?

Is it possible to 'modify' a lightning lane for a later return time then originally?

For example, I'm planning on stacking lightning lanes for Hollywood studios afternoon /evening visit, but we likely won't be into the park until later in the afternoon. If I get an early return time for slinky dog, say at noon or something, would I be able to go in a little bit later and modify it to 5:00? Or does the modify only work to get an earlier time?
When you modify a Genie+ LL, you will be offered the "next available time". That may be earlier or later than the time you already have booked. You do not have to accept the time offered. You can keep trying until you get the time you want (easier done for a later time than an earlier one).

You cannot modify the time for an ILL.

When modifying you may see a variety of times offered. Each time you refresh there may be a different return time offered, especially early in the morning.

I took a screen grab last week, early in the morning, showing how return times bounce around as people grab what is offered and then try to modify.

This video shows both earlier and later times being offered.

I have read through a fair amount of the info about G+ and I still have a few questions. First - to confirm - am I correct that G+ can't be purchased until after 12am the day it is going to be used? And - am I correct that for a resort guest first G+ reservation can be made at 7am?
Then question - how do I set up so that one person can make that purchase and then also make the first G+ reservation for the day for all members of our travel group? My hope is that the G+ can be purchased at 6:45am and then first reservation can be made at 7 (is this a reasonable assumption? We are traveling in mid September).

ILL question also. ILL can't be purchased until 7am I believe. If this is the case - is there a way to have 2 people in a travel group able to make purchase/book G+ and ILL for the group? I'm thinking one person would need to do the G+ at 7am and another would need to do ILL.

I'm unsure how to make this happen - and greatly appreciate any help you can give me. We've been to WDW many times - but this is the first visit with the new system and I'm flummoxed by it despite a bunch of reading here and other places.
Thank you again!!

I'll answer PART of your questions - G+ can be purchased after midnight (6:45AM would certainly work for you) on the day you want to use it. All guests, on-site or off-site can make their first G+/LL selection at 7AM. You do not need to purchase G+ to make the ILL purchases. The ILL purchases can be made starting at 7AM for on-site guests. Off-site guests need to wait until park opening to buy theirs. You can purchase 2 ILLs per day. I know that's only going to help a little. Hopefully, someone can give you some pointers on the planning side. But if the folks in your group are part of your F&F in the MDE app, you should be able to make G+/LL arrangements for them.

1. First - to confirm - am I correct that G+ can't be purchased until after 12am the day it is going to be used?

2. And - am I correct that for a resort guest first G+ reservation can be made at 7am?

3. Then question - how do I set up so that one person can make that purchase and then also make the first G+ reservation for the day for all members of our travel group?

4. My hope is that the G+ can be purchased at 6:45am and then first reservation can be made at 7 (is this a reasonable assumption? We are traveling in mid September).

5. ILL can't be purchased until 7am I believe.

6. If this is the case - is there a way to have 2 people in a travel group able to make purchase/book G+ and ILL for the group? I'm thinking one person would need to do the G+ at 7am and another would need to do ILL.
1. Correct.

2. Everyone can book their first Genie+ attraction at 7:00 am, no matter where they are staying.

3. As long as you are connected as Friends and Family in My Disney Experience, one person can purchase Genie+ and/or ILLs, and book them, by choosing anyone else on their Friends & Family list who have valid admission and a park reservation that day as part of their party.

4. Yes, purchasing Genie+ at 6:45, and then booking the first attraction at 7:00 is a reasonable assumption.

5. 7:00 am for Disney resort guests, park opening time for all others.

6. Yes, you can spread out the purchasing and booking however you like, as long as everyone is connected in MDE. Which you prioritize will depend on the park and your family's priorities. Virtual Queue should always be first, then generally the first high demand G+, then the first ILL. Any of those can happen simultaneously if you have multiple people doing it.

Hi all!

We have a trip planned for Thanksgiving week. Haven't used genie plus before.... the last time we hit the parks was pre-Covid.

I'm the only member of my family with a MDE sign-on. I do all of the planning, so no need for my husband to have one.

If I want to book our first genie + ride at 7 a.m. and have him also book our ILL ride at 7 a.m. as well, can we both be signed into my login for MDE? Or will it freak out Disney's IT (which, let's be honest, isn't too difficult to do).

I'd prefer to not have to have my husband create a login and tie me and the kids into his friends and family for the sake of just making a lightning lane purchase but if the system will freak out and not allow us to be logged into the same login at the same time and doing multiple things, so be it. I just want to be prepared.

Thanks!

Yes, that's fine, you can both sign in and make separate reservations in the same account! Although, unless you're trying to get Tron at night, you should be fine to just make your first high priority Genie + reservation and then move onto ILL. Those don't go quite so quickly and you should still have your pick of times after making your first regular LL. :) Have fun!

Please see my answers in red in your post below.

I have read through a fair amount of the info about G+ and I still have a few questions. First - to confirm - am I correct that G+ can't be purchased until after 12am the day it is going to be used? YES And - am I correct that for a resort guest first G+ reservation can be made at 7am? YES

Then question - how do I set up so that one person can make that purchase and then also make the first G+ reservation for the day for all members of our travel group? My hope is that the G+ can be purchased at 6:45am and then first reservation can be made at 7 (is this a reasonable assumption? We are traveling in mid September). YES

ILL question also. ILL can't be purchased until 7am I believe. If this is the case - is there a way to have 2 people in a travel group able to make purchase/book G+ and ILL for the group? I'm thinking one person would need to do the G+ at 7am and another would need to do ILL. YES

I'm unsure how to make this happen - and greatly appreciate any help you can give me. We've been to WDW many times - but this is the first visit with the new system and I'm flummoxed by it despite a bunch of reading here and other places.
Thank you again!! Both people can be signed into the same MDE account and do different things.
Please read the posts on page 1 of this thread as it will answer these questions and more.

I will be visiting MK on Fri 9/22. My park reservation is made, now I need advice on getting on Seven Mines! I had read about the LL and Genie+ features. I admit It's a bit overwhelming from what I was used to.
My question is how soon do I need to get on to my MDE app for securing my time for SEVEN MINES?
Will it automatically do so for all persons linked ( 2 people) ?
Will it automatically charge me for all persons ( just the 2 of us)?
HOW MUCH is it per person for just this one ride?

I will be visiting MK on Fri 9/22. My park reservation is made, now I need advice on getting on Seven Mines! I had read about the LL and Genie+ features. I admit It's a bit overwhelming from what I was used to.
My question is how soon do I need to get on to my MDE app for securing my time for SEVEN MINES?
Will it automatically do so for all persons linked ( 2 people) ?
Will it automatically charge me for all persons ( just the 2 of us)?
HOW MUCH is it per person for just this one ride?
Are you staying onsite or offsite? If onsite, a 7DMT Ill$ can be purchased at 7 am. If offsite you can do so at park open. You can purchase for any friends and family in your MDE account. You have to do this from the app, not the website. It will charge you for all the people you select. The price varies from day to day. For the past few days it’s fluctuated between $10 and $11 per day.

You do NOT need to purchase genie+ to purchase an ILL$ for 7DMT. The two are completely separate services.

Is there some place to get remedial Genie or Genie+ lessons - step by step? It's been several yrs. since we've been to WDW and I'm as lost as can be. I read the OP. Did this take the place of Fast pass/+? Thanks for any help y'all can provide.

Is there some place to get remedial Genie or Genie+ lessons - step by step? It's been several yrs. since we've been to WDW and I'm as lost as can be. I read the OP. Did this take the place of Fast pass/+? Thanks for any help y'all can provide.
You’re in the right place!

The posts on page one explain the system.

There is also a link there to a helpful video.

If things still are not clear, please feel free to ask questions here.

MDE My Disney Experience was the first change . And it is easily accessed online with your log in to make resort, dining etc.
Then they updated and added the WDW APP and some things are accessed easier by downloading the 50th Anniversary APP free .
82461C3E-CD3D-4538-8DC9-7C8D3C8774E5.png
You can practice visiting the Genie on this APP to Get familiar with it .

In my opinion ( I know very little about online tech )
I think Disney would prefer we use our cellphones for everything and having the WDW APP on our phone gives them better tracking information .

WDW keeps improving the system and making changes and has announced this for 2024 . I guess they know they need to make it different Let’s hope that means easier .

Last edited:
I must be missing the answer on this question, sorry, but with the Individually purchased LL$, you can only ride them by purchasing LL$ or stand-by as they are not available as a LL selection?

I must be missing the answer on this question, sorry, but with the Individually purchased LL$, you can only ride them by purchasing LL$ or stand-by as they are not available as a LL selection?
It depends on which ride you’re asking about.

Guardian of the Galaxy and Tron can be ridden by purchasing an ILL$ or, joining a Virtual Queue. There is no standby line for these rides.

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Flight of Passage and Rise of the Resistance can be ridden by purchasing an ILL$ or via standby line.

My family is coming to WDW in early November. We have only used genie+ at Disneyland, and there most of the rides had immediate return times. What are the return windows like in WDW for rides like Pirates, HM, etc? Are they mostly immediate or several hours later? For which rides do lightning lanes sell out for the day, and what time are they usually gone? We will be doing MK, Epcot, and Hollywood studios. No Animal Kingdom this trip ☹️

Almost none are several hours later. There is also no universal answer to your question, as it varies by park, attraction, and day. Generally, MK always has some LL immediately available. Probably because there are so many attractions. More popular attractions, the return time is usually later (though not several hours). Of your two examples, I find Pirates to be immediately available most of the time (or less than 30 minutes). HM is sometimes immediately available, but usually a wait of up to an hour. Again, though, it varies. Off the top of my head, I would say the longest wait return times at MK are Jungle Cruise, some of the character meets, and Peter Pan; at Epcot its Remy, Test Track and Frozen; and at HS its Slinky Dog, Mickey Railway, and Tower of Terror

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter