ESPN Layoffs

I don't know if it really matters so much about what ESPN is showing, but more so about people streaming sports off android boxes or free streaming sites and things like that and how to battle back against that.

Anyone who is legally streaming isn't an issue. When a game is on ESPN it is blacked out of the other streaming services (MLB at bat, NBC Sports/SNY live, and NHL live are the ones I use). Yes ESPN has a streaming of their own but for almost all legal (and that's the key word again) streaming services you either have to pay a package price so they aren't batlling against that or you have to have the channel in your tv line up so again no need to battle against it because they are already getting your money. So I stream on ESPN at work because I have cable at home. ESPN already gets my money and knows that because I have to log in with my verizon account.

I don't know if it really matters so much about what ESPN is showing, but more so about people streaming sports off android boxes or free streaming sites and things like that and how to battle back against that.

That's certainly what ESPN is trying to combat. The manner in which people consume sports highlights and recaps has undeniably changed.

Their programming slate has veered so far to the "commentary" end of the spectrum that most shows simply blend together. There was a time when SportsCenter was the de facto news program on the network. It was their version of 60 Minutes or the network nightly news. Now it's the same as most other shows on the network--a few news stories followed by a roundtable discussion of the anchors' thoughts and opinions.

I'll at least give ESPN credit for not trying to bury this news. Last night my son was watching the MLB game on ESPN and apparently one of the former team members for the Weds night broadcast--Doug Glanville--was among those let go. The play-by-play guy came right out and said what happened...how they all felt terrible...wished Glanville well, etc.

I've also seen a lot of comments from remaining ESPN staff on social media, including accounts which are clearly tied to their ESPN positions.

Apparently there was no gag order, which you would normally associate with a move like this. I'll stop short of calling it a classy move on ESPN's part, but it was at least self-aware. They were apparently smart enough to realize that they couldn't suppress the news, and didn't prohibit remaining staff from discussing it on various platforms including the live MLB contest on the mothership.

Dr. Jerry Punch, a 30 year employee and one of the best auto racing analysts (also did football and other sports), was one of the ones axed today. Sad.

I would think NBC or fox would pick him up. ABC barely broadcasts IndyCar any more and I don't think ESPN has any other racing. He's one of the better analysts. Would be great if NBC added him to their IndyCar and nascar coverage.

I heard on NPR yesterday evening that ESPN was going to release a streaming service later this year, where "lesser tier" games would be broadcast. So they wouldn't compete with the games you get on cable, but would offer another service they could sell to those that don't have cable.

I don't know, however, what market is out here for "lesser tier". I guess it will depend on what that really means. Who's going to pay $10/month for only day time MLB games? No offense, but I have to doubt there would be a big enough market for that.

Perhaps you will get some NFL day games, but just no "premier" night games? Will be interesting to watch.

I would think NBC or fox would pick him up. ABC barely broadcasts IndyCar any more and I don't think ESPN has any other racing. He's one of the better analysts. Would be great if NBC added him to their IndyCar and nascar coverage.
There is wide speculation that ABC will drop the Indy 500 once the current contract is over. It would be nice to add Punch to NBCSN. They do such a better job at motorosports than "ESPN on ABC." A lot of IndyCar fans were hoping that Cheever and Goodyear would also be cut!

There is wide speculation that ABC will drop the Indy 500 once the current contract is over. It would be nice to add Punch to NBCSN. They do such a better job at motorosports than "ESPN on ABC." A lot of IndyCar fans were hoping that Cheever and Goodyear would also be cut!

Yes to all of that! Put the 500 on NBC so it's not on cable and we're good. They already show the parade and pit stop comp.

NBCSN has always done a much better job with IndyCar races than ABC/ESPN. There are times when something happens - a driver is out of the race, for example - but you don't know why because Cheever and Goodyear never said anything about it!

I suspect that ABC will drop IndyCar when the contract is up - I already get the impression they no longer care!

This espn collapse is like the sports version of the fall of Rome. Sad for those most affected but not surprising giving consumer trends.

As an aside I was poking through media job listings for myself and saw espn has a social media director position listed from November. Something tells me that's no longer available.....

...seriously, everyone respects the pats accomplishments...but nobody outside of Connecticut likes them at all. They have made themselves completely unlikeable.

The pats are not "disrespected"...it's just they are unappealing and the networks follow the river where it goes...the pats have made themselves more dislikable than the steroid era Yankees at that point...

I mean...WEEI is the right place for the "nobody likes us" stuff, is it not?

All due respect.
(I say this with only respectful sports trash talk tone)........I absolutely love the fact that no one outside of Conn. Likes the Patriots.....We drink their tears!!!....it makes it all sooooooo much better.....and watching ESPN report that 12 of 11 footballs were 2 pounds over-inflated, and then have to retract it over a year later was fun as well.....but hey, at least you had those first three quarters of the Superbowl to revel in patriots misery!!!....28-3!!!!......I wonder what happened after that!!! #DoYourJob

The real issue here is less about the contracts and more about overall viewership and premium memberships on the web site.....Most major markets have robust local sports coverage that rivals ESPN sportscenter, and is specific to the home teams....here in Boston I used to watch Sporstscenter religiously every day. Now I watch the sports shows on Comcast Sportsnet New England nightly. I cant remember the last time I watched Sportscenter....that being said, I watch ESPN at least 3 times a week for nationally televised baseball and basketball games. I am wall to wall watching during college football Saturdays (its usually on in the background in the house all day. I watch almost all or a part of every Monday Night football game....i think my experience is really what the problem is at ESPN....not enough eyes when the games ARE NOT on!!

First, I feel for the families of the employees let go today. These are real people with real lives.

As for ESPN, I don't watch many of their "shows". I watch College Football Gameday most weeks. I watch College Football Final when it is replayed on Sunday morning. I occasionally watch some of the SEC Network college football programming. That is pretty much it. Nothing to do with politics - I am just not interested in the other stuff.

I watch ESPN for the games. I will pay for ESPN as long as they continue to broadcast the games. The rest could all disappear tomorrow and I would be just as happy. ESPN was at its best when all they did was games, with a single recap on SportsCenter late at night.
yes!!....thats why those bloated TV deals with leagues are going nowhere....people watch ESPN for the games, and watch local sports channels fro the highlights and commentary

(I say this with only respectful sports trash talk tone)........I absolutely love the fact that no one outside of Conn. Likes the Patriots.....We drink their tears!!!....it makes it all sooooooo much better.....and watching ESPN report that 12 of 11 footballs were 2 pounds over-inflated, and then have to retract it over a year later was fun as well.....but hey, at least you had those first three quarters of the Superbowl to revel in patriots misery!!!....28-3!!!!......I wonder what happened after that!!! #DoYourJob

There's still more trophies in the case than Krafts, sunny jim...so minimal "weeping"

But Boston will revert to a baseball/basketball town soon enough...unless Tom borrows ray Lewis's deer antler spray...

(Enough clues in there )

Espn in the axing today announced it's going to start syndicate MLB network programs on espn 2...

...that's what I'm talking about: fundamental shakeup in the "formula" that no longer adds up...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter