ESPN Layoffs

These three contracts shall be known as millstone, anchor, and weight belt in a few years as ESPN continues to sink. The NBA just doesn't seem popular enough to justify those numbers. ESPN doesn't get enough content from the NFL to justify that contract. And MLB really isn't that bad, but there are only so many Yankees/Red Sox games in a season, and those who don't care get ticked off that every one is on t.v., while there just aren't enough people who care to watch L.A. vs. Cleveland in May. But at least it isn't stupidly expensive and they get a lot of content out of it.
Yeah the MLB deal looks minimal compared to the other two. That NBA contract is the Titanic.

...seriously, everyone respects the pats accomplishments...but nobody outside of Connecticut likes them at all. They have made themselves completely unlikeable.

The pats are not "disrespected"...it's just they are unappealing and the networks follow the river where it goes...the pats have made themselves more dislikable than the steroid era Yankees at that point...

I mean...WEEI is the right place for the "nobody likes us" stuff, is it not?

All due respect.

Actually I'd say CT is iffy, due to proximity to New York and a grudge over the Pats not moving to Hartford back around 2000. The rest of New England is a Pats stronghold.

Note that figure is for the entire TV contract which includes ESPN, TNT and ABC. Another source claims that it breaks down to roughly $1.4 Billion paid by Disney and $1.2B by Turner (TNT).

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2014/10/06/Media/NBA-media.aspx

I have to assume that the ABC portion of it is included in the ESPN $1.4B. For the regular season, ESPN was scheduled to broadcast 82 games with another 19 on ABC. Playoffs on ESPN; both playoffs and finals games on ABC. The deal also included radio rights, summer league, WNBA and other stuff that few people care about.

Not trying to spin this a certain way, just adding additional details..

By comparison, the ESPN MLB deal gives them access to 90 regular season games per year. Their only postseason action is one wildcard game. They do have part of all star weekend (Home run derby, etc.). Don't think there are any noteworthy ancillary products.

I don't want to spend all day analyzing ratings but they are probably comparable for MLB and NBA. The Cubs/Cardinals season opener on ESPN delivered a 2.3 rating, highest opening day since 2010. First five ESPN NBA playoff games averaged 2.2 while a couple games on ABC averaged 4.1. Opening day vs. playoffs is admittedly a very dicey comparison.

Actually I'd say CT is iffy, due to proximity to New York and a grudge over the Pats not moving to Hartford back around 2000. The rest of New England is a Pats stronghold.

As a Nutmegger I would say most people I know are Pats fans. Then again I don't really know too many people. I'm not a fan, myself, but I'd agree it's pretty mixed here.

Right...that's also referred to as the "home market"...and it's normal.

They have this huge chip on their shoulder about it though...

These three contracts shall be known as millstone, anchor, and weight belt in a few years as ESPN continues to sink. The NBA just doesn't seem popular enough to justify those numbers. ESPN doesn't get enough content from the NFL to justify that contract. And MLB really isn't that bad, but there are only so many Yankees/Red Sox games in a season, and those who don't care get ticked off that every one is on t.v., while there just aren't enough people who care to watch L.A. vs. Cleveland in May. But at least it isn't stupidly expensive and they get a lot of content out of it.

Agree...network contract with leagues beyond cbs and fox's NFL contracts are obselete now and it's only gonna get worse.

See, from all people who don't even want it, Disney gets $7.21 for ESPN, $.90 for ESPN2, and $.23 for EPSNU for $8.34 right now from the 87M+ who still have cable bundles...no way can they make that same dollar work if they lose 1/3-1/2 of the people by unbundling and selling direct...you are probably looking at a $20/month minimum (or Disney taking a "loss" by bundling into new options, hoping those options become as expensive as cable once people get hooked into them)...

http://www.whatyoupayforsports.com/numbers/

If you look at the bottom of the page of the link I posted, you'll see all of ESPN (and other networks) sports contracts and costs and expiration dates...

Ehhh...that's an issue but I think it's been overstated. I actually think it's misreading what the changing demographics want and what they can pay for (kinda like disney parks)...not necessarily true "political"
Politics is "an" issue, but I'm not trying to say that it's "the" issue.

First, I feel for the families of the employees let go today. These are real people with real lives.

As for ESPN, I don't watch many of their "shows". I watch College Football Gameday most weeks. I watch College Football Final when it is replayed on Sunday morning. I occasionally watch some of the SEC Network college football programming. That is pretty much it. Nothing to do with politics - I am just not interested in the other stuff.

I watch ESPN for the games. I will pay for ESPN as long as they continue to broadcast the games. The rest could all disappear tomorrow and I would be just as happy. ESPN was at its best when all they did was games, with a single recap on SportsCenter late at night.

First, I feel for the families of the employees let go today. These are real people with real lives.

As someone whose family member works there, even though they were not affected by this layoff, thank you!

Often times in threads like this people forget that these are real people and many ESPN employees and their families frequent this board!!

Politics is "an" issue, but I'm not trying to say that it's "the" issue.

ESPN has become too political for me. Its one of the main reasons I cut it. Sports is one of my escapes from the world. I want to turn on the TV and watch a game but games have become hard to find on their channels it seems. Its talking heads everywhere you look. So I said goodbye and haven't looked back. There were also many reports that the board had received thousands of complaints of it becoming political but chose to ignore.

As someone whose family member works there, even though they were not affected by this layoff, thank you!

Often times in threads like this people forget that these are real people and many ESPN employees and their families frequent this board!!

I don't think anyone here is wishing any grief on anyone effected...it's stictly about management choices and how it affects disney...

I think that was their critical error.

Trying to elevate commentary above sports, instead of the supplemental role that commentary should play.

I only get exposed a bit to ESPN when some of their radio shows get picked up locally.

Is it really "elevating" commentary when they openly talk about sports "story lines" as if they're planning/talking about scripted, made-up wrestling garbage?

Something else that makes me roll my eyes ... I'm not sure if ESPN is as bad as our Canadian counterpart TSN at this ... but they will insist on referring to people who are really just sports reporters like themselves as "insiders", like Joe Blow who covers the Leafs is "our NHL insider" and so on.

Cable sports people have been inside a bubble breathing their own fumes for a bit too long ...

I really like Ed Werner and Tret Dilfer....NOT in love with new football line up last year, and now it will look even more different. Not a fan of the yelling and constant debate, and REALLY not a fan of Randy Moss and the like. DH and I have hesitated dropping cable because of ESPN, but frankly, not so much anymore. I REALLY like Mike and Mike, but can listen on radio anytime....

Dr. Jerry Punch, a 30 year employee and one of the best auto racing analysts (also did football and other sports), was one of the ones axed today. Sad.

Very sad. I watch him during ABC/ESPN broadcasts of IndyCar races. Maybe NBC Sports can pick him up?

FWIW, I've thought that a couple of the reasons are:

1) Politics - if you state a political position, you will automatically alienate half of your viewers. For example, Johnny Carson kept his politics private because, as he said, he had everything to lose and nothing to gain if he mentioned politics on the air.

2) Too many talking heads - I watched ESPN for sports, not to hear people argue or loudly give their opinions. To be honest, I don't care what their opinions are. If you want to have a sports show with a score recap, fine, but there was way too much commentary.

V

2) Too many talking heads - I watched ESPN for sports, not to hear people argue or loudly give their opinions. To be honest, I don't care what their opinions are. If you want to have a sports show with a score recap, fine, but there was way too much commentary.

That is the #1 Problem.
Their idea was .. PTI is awesome... Around the Horn works too??? Great lets make EVERY show that format. People will love it.

I don't know if it really matters so much about what ESPN is showing, but more so about people streaming sports off android boxes or free streaming sites and things like that and how to battle back against that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter