EPCOT makeover

OMG -- that's the most horrible rumor I have ever heard!! That would be one of the worst things that could happen at WDW. :mad:

So, does anyone know -- is attendance at Epcot really so desperate that they would really be considering breaking it in two??? And if it really is that bad, then why aren't they adding things like crazy to the park (you know, like real rides instead of big Mickey hands and silly parades) to entice people to come back instead of taking things away??? One new attraction in Future World really isn't going to make all the rest of the problems with that part of the park go away -- and it certainly isn't going to do anything to help World Showcase, who's last new ride was the Maelstrom.

i've heard at some park they have a way for you to just go in and dine. it works like this:

at the gate you buy the special pass, they take a credit card imprint. you have a set amount of time to get back to the gate (3 hours or so). if you're not back by then, your CC is charged full admission price.

simple, easy, effective.

Not really sure what they'd be accomplishing. The passes we normally use (PH and LOS) still cover both parks. If they plan on closing FW at 5 or 6 you could just change the after 4 pass for FL residents to 5 or 6 (or just assume the last hour of the park TT and Space will only be open to people already in line or FP holders). I don't even see room for a garage. I'd say they should bus or even use a parking lot tram to get people to the main parking lot.

I have posted this before and again say "Look to Tokyo-where they have success running theme parks in bad economies..." They apparently use a multi level admission with colored wristbands-full use of the park/rides, limited use of the park/rides, and NO rides, just eat and shop level of admission."

This could work especially well for the struggling Epcot.

Paul

nah you know what ......they should take the magic kingdom and at the "hub" put turnstiles at every arm reachin to the "lands" and charge seperate admisssion, and for mickey's toontown fair seperate admission. and well have to put turnstiles by the train to not hop for free to any part of the magic kingdom

this will be good because my gf will be happy because ill totally ^&*%^%$ hate it and i will finally be forced to go to Jamaica.

nah this thread is all a nightmare im still sleepin waiting to wake up to the thread that beats the parks game thread- "head of wdw parks found nailed into its a small world permanently.

Here's the solution:

Build a Horizons II ride and a World of Motion II ride.:p

That will bring back a lot of excitement and boost attendance.

King Triton

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Originally posted by BRERALEX
this thread is all a nightmare im still sleepin waiting to wake up to the thread that beats the parks game thread- "head of wdw parks found nailed into its a small world permanently.

How did a thread about a 300 million dollar makeover to EPCOT get so graphic? I'm going to see this rumor as a positive one and hope for the best.

BTW, I liked my scenerio the best. So there! :smooth:

BTW, I liked my scenario the best. So there!
Miss Park Avenue, is this part of your scenario?
5:00 or 6:00pm: Future World closes, park hopping vacationers who have been there or hopped from other parks move to the World Showcase area.
If it is...

Hmmm... From all your posts so far I had very high hopes for you. We really seemed to be on the same page. Please tell me that this in not OK with you!!!!

The best scenario would be to have the Epcot All-In-One Pass, the Epcot Future Pass (Future World Only), and the Epcot Showcase Pass (WS only).

But it would do something incredilby stupid. It would make FW and WS both "diversions", as DVC said about AK.

It would especially stupid if they charged us for both parks full admission. $50 for both parks would offically kill Disney.

But the best idea was brought up on another board, charge full admission at the WS enterence with a 2 hour time frame of redemption. You eat, get you ticket stamped, shop, and then show your ticket and get a refund.

It would prevent more turnstyles and confusion.

I am NOT ok with any reduced hours. But when I go in May FW closes at 7:00 as it is. I was thinking in terms of not having to seperate WS and FW and letting in locals to eat without having to charge them full admissison. If cuts are to be made I can deal with this scenario better than say EPCOT being closed for one or two days a week or dividing the two up or putting in turnsyles between them. I like the wristband idea too though! Irritating to the wrist, but that's a minigripe.

I guess I can deal with FW closing earlier because you can still take in the sights or EPCOT at night. In May, Future World is closed and everyone meanders over to World Showcase to stake out their spot for Illuminations. The dancing fountains are still on, the sidewalks still have those little lights on that capture everyone's attention, everything is lit up and music is playing all around but if you try to go into the pavillions, there is security to direct you elsewhere. You still have that beautiful nightime atmosphere that is EPCOT.

It isn't the same as in the Magic Kingdom where right in the late afternoon the entire park shuts down (except for the shops I think) and YOU MUST LEAVE AT THAT TIME. The show's over folks, go home.

We both seem to hate the same thing but for different reasons. I don't talk about this much because I don't visit in the summer. If I had to deal with summer crowds I probably would hate the park closing at 10:00 instead of midnight. (I KNOW I would have hated it when I was a teen visiting there in the 80's). But I have two little ones that would never make it to midnight, we'd be fortunate to make it to 10:00 (but less hours mean no chance for naps I know....it's a much different debate and I'm not there in the summer to form an opinion). But at least my kids will get to see Tinkerbell, the lights, etc. They are wild for fireworks. My gripes come from totally missing out on the nightime magic that happens at the Magic Kingdom.

I'm sorry, we were talking about EPCOT.........

Originally posted by Miss Park Avenue
If cuts are to be made I can deal with this scenario better than say EPCOT being closed for one or two days a week or dividing the two up or putting in turnsyles between them.

If I had to choose between closing Epcot a day or two a week, or dividing the park in half, I would choose the closings. Tearing Epcot in two would be about the worst thing they could ever do to that place. Isn't it bad enough they've already torn Future World to pieces!!! :confused:

I can't even believe that this is being discussed (even casually) by the top management. Of course, I also couldn't believe that they considered ending early entry.

"The Buck Stops Here." - Harry S. Truman

"The Magic Stops Here...to Save a Buck." - Eisner & Co.

I'm going to take a $300 million makeover to mean a good thing and am not going to worry about it. I fretted more over closing EPCOT than this. You don't put that kind of money into a park to close it a few days a week.

I'm reading this rumor and thinking happy thoughts! Horizon II? One of those "Soaring" Rides I hear so much about? Another E-ride? Improved transportaion around the place? It is HUGE!! Just thinking about it gets me excited for the 2004 trip when we will try out the BCVs and get Length of Stay passes for the first time.

300 makeover if it includes breaking up epcot in two to me would suck and is a nightmare Miss plus the way the parks are run latley anything is possible

OnWithTheShow makes me feel better and if thedscoop tells me to chill im chillin

y'all are wiggin.

Florida residents can buy an after 4 Epcot pass. The idea is that you can use it to go into Epcot and have a nice meal. Florida residents now can also by a disney dining experience, basically you pay around 50 bucks and you get 20% off meals. So couple the two together, an epcot after 4 dining experience for florida residents. Put a convenient entrance into world showcase so locals can go in there and eat and drink in the evening. For resort guests, that would be a pretty transparent thing - they wouldn't need to "separate" future world and world showcase.

Residents who now by a seasonal pass that is blocked out for the summer, spring break and Christmas could by the after 4 pass for a reasonable cost and use it during the summer to go into epcot to have a nice meal. I don't think there would be any reason to worry about them "leeching" on future world for the two or three hours it would be open - so what.

DR

We have gotten way off track. What upgrades will we see in Epcot after this makeover is completed? Does anyone know or is this a case of the blind leading the blind?

FW does close at 7:00, however some of the major attractions remain open until 9:00 (unless that has recently changed.)

Break Epcot into two parks? This is an even worse idea than the closing for a few days per week. I don't doubt that its been discussed, but wouldn't put my money on it happening.

However, $300 million for a makeover in a park where they've been so reluctant to spend their own money does seem strange.

Test Track, Spaceship Earth, Honey I Shrunk the Audience. Journey Into Imagination, and Innoventions (effectively half of Future World) remains open until 9PM. I don't know about everyone else but I never really venture into Future World after dark and having the entire area open until 9 would not benefit me at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter