EPCOT makeover

TigH

<font color=red>WISH success story<br><font color=
Sorry if this has been posted before.

From a dining article by Scott Joseph on the OrlandoSentinel.com site:

Changes for Epcot?

It's all very hush-hush and so far unconfirmed, but the Hound hears that Disney officials are set to announce a $300 million makeover for Epcot. The Hound could use a makeover too, but that would barely cover the liposuction. Anyway, another rumor having to do with the redo is that a separate entrance might be created for World Showcase that would allow people (read: locals) to frequent the fine restaurants that line the lagoon without having to pay the full admission price. Sound like a good idea? The Imagineers who first plotted the futuristic theme park thought so -- it was part of the original design.

I wonder why they'd need a separate entrance on the WS side? If this is true, then locals who want to enter for dining only would have to purchase a separate ticket, so why couldn't they use the same entrance as everyone else at the International Gateway?

$300 million doesn't seem like enough for a makeover of the entire park.

Originally posted by TigH
Sorry if this has been posted before.

From a dining article by Scott Joseph on the OrlandoSentinel.com site:

Changes for Epcot?

It's all very hush-hush and so far unconfirmed, but the Hound hears that Disney officials are set to announce a $300 million makeover for Epcot. The Hound could use a makeover too, but that would barely cover the liposuction.

The Hound needs liposuction?!! Excuse me!!! I take issue with that comment (LOL).

Interesting rumor TigH. A west side entrace makes sense. Its a long walk from the Boardwalk to the international gateway if you're just stopping in for dinner, place there are parking issues there.

I'm trying to figure out where such an entrance could be? Here's a link to a satellite image of WDW (you may have to scroll down to find Epcot).

Epcot is pretty well locked in. There doesn't appear to be a lot of room on the west side near the International Gateway, and there is what looks like CM parking on the east side. There looks like some wooded areas just south of/behind the American Adventure pavillion. Maybe they're thinking of putting a small parking area there with another entrance, or maybe they're planning on busing people around to another entrance from the main parking area or the TTC.

The article also does not appear to address how, even with a new entrance, guests would be limited to visiting WS restaurants.
Hmmm. My thought as well, Mr. Scoop!!

And there was peace in the valley as the LandBaron and thedscoop agreed on an issue!! ;)

The article also does not appear to address how, even with a new entrance, guests would be limited to visiting WS restaurants.
I believe the idea is to limit them only to WS restaurants and attractions.

Installation of a gate/turnstiles with card/ticket scaners between WS and FW.
That would require that the walkway in front of Imagination be closed. We'd no longer be permitted to walk through the Odessey and I assume a full gate would have to be built across the central walkway between FW and WS. Yep, Baron, that would "suck."

Actually, I can't figure out why they didn't start doing this years ago. It'd be a brilliant business move, even if it does reek of a last-ditch effort to save the skins of current execs.

Finally the kind of rumor I like! Poor FW needs some help! Maybe EPCOT will stay open 365 days a year after all.

As for a new gate between the two? Hmmmmm bummer. What other ideas are there for people who just want to eat there?

Again, the original design for EPCOT Center way back in 1982, this is hardly a new or original idea.

Under the scenarios they're talking about, Future World would close at 5pm or 6pm (basically mirroring the closing of Animal Kingdom).

There's another rumor that even wilder. Epcot would be completely broken apart. "Epcot" would be the current Future World - World Showcase would become a ticketed gate along the lines of a super-sized Pleasure Island.

Like I said, you're not going to like a lot of what they're thinking about...

Originally posted by Another Voice
Again, the original design for EPCOT Center way back in 1982, this is hardly a new or original idea.

Under the scenarios they're talking about, Future World would close at 5pm or 6pm (basically mirroring the closing of Animal Kingdom).

There's another rumor that even wilder. Epcot would be completely broken apart. "Epcot" would be the current Future World - World Showcase would become a ticketed gate along the lines of a super-sized Pleasure Island.

Like I said, you're not going to like a lot of what they're thinking about...

I kinda thought that would only be a matter of time :(

So now a new thread needs to be spawned based on AV's info. How would the public react to FW as a seperate gate? That is, if WS was not included in the admission (which is hard to fathom.) I guess it would put less pressure on AK in the half-day park argument.

It sounds a little scary, especially if access to WS was not part of the admission price. AV, could you fill us in a little more? Under the scenario you put forth, would FW be an enclosed gate?

wooah, I wonder if my FL residents seasonal pass would cover a seperate gate on WS (it doesn't cover PI)

I for one would not pay extra to "shop and eat".. and what about illuminations????? is that going to be covered in my Future World ticket?

It could happen. After all, they did managed to screw up a lot of things.

so lemme get this straight, according to AV, Future World closes around 5 or 6. Then (according to dscoop) locals get an after 4 pass for dinner and WS. And vacationers with hoppers and the like will have had the morning for FW and World Showcase. Anyone with an after 4 type pass would have to run their butts off if they think they are going to steal any attractions from Future World so most probably wouldn't try it.

Sounds like a workable plan I guess.

OK, I'm not from Florida maybe it would help if I knew exactly what Disney Dining Experience was. But here is how I picture what you are saying.

11:00am: Epcot opens to park hoppers and one day passholders

4:00pm: Locals with the Disney Dining Experience or the after 4 pass can enter through new entrance at WS for dinner. There is no need for a gate between FW and WS because they couldn't really do much at Future World because at..........

5:00 or 6:00pm: Future World closes, park hopping vacationers who have been there or hopped from other parks move to the World Showcase area.

9:00pm or later: Epcot closes.

This is what I see happening.

This is all very much of in “blue sky” talk at the moment. There’s no need to start parsing hours to figure out if you can still hit ‘Imagination’ before dinner. If any of the schemes go through, Disney will be sure to close all those loopholes anyway.

Under the current way of thinking, Future World post-Mission:Space will be a “full day’s value” akin to Animal Kingdom and California Adventure (it would have more attractions than DCA even). World Showcase, I guess, would be a reduced Pleasure Island/Water Park ticket (and included in park-hoppers and length of stay tickets). I don’t think anyone knows at this point what hours would be or how/if guests could go from one to the other.

Right now the biggest drawback to the World Showcase concept is the lack of a parking lot for the World Gateway entrance. The current gate complex was built with the “nighttime dinner” concept in mind (they just never finished to lot); the problem is getting people there. Many people are trying to come up with “creative” ways of increasing revenue so this probably won’t be the last wild idea you hear about in the coming months.

As Mr. Scoop said, WDW sees this thing far differently than Burbank does. The real issue at the moment is whether the people in Orlando still have the fight in them to go up against Corporate. I hope they do, but I’m not confident about the outcome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter