Embarkation Lunch - Where do you go?

Where do you typically go for Embarkation Lunch?

• Main Dining Room Sit Down Embarkation Lunch

Votes: 71 37.2%
  • Concierge Embarkation Lunch

Votes: 19 9.9%
  • Buffet (Cabanas/Marceline Market) Embarkation Lunch

Votes: 95 49.7%
  • Tend to skip embarkation lunch

Votes: 6 3.1%

• Total voters
Definitely Cabanas. If the weather is nice I want to grab a bite and be in the pool as soon as possible. I don’t like the food on deck. Some shrimps, a bit of salad, a glass of water and I’m done!
If it’s cool then that different. Still Cabanas but I’ll take it more slowly and sample a few other bits.

As a family of vegetarians we have actually found the Buffett to be easier since many items on sit down lunch are not suitable for vegetarians and making stuff on initial lunch is hard without much advanced planning for the crew. We do tell DCL before every sailing we are vegetarians and want Indian Vegetarian food but still struggle with initial sit down lunch.

We like to go to Cabanas and then get a table on the pool deck. The kids scarf their food and hit the aquaduck while we wave at them as they come down!

As a family of vegetarians we have actually found the Buffett to be easier since many items on sit down lunch are not suitable for vegetarians and making stuff on initial lunch is hard without much advanced planning for the crew. We do tell DCL before every sailing we are vegetarians and want Indian Vegetarian food but still struggle with initial sit down lunch.
I can imagine a vegan lunch being a challenge on embarkation day for the reasons you mention. But, vegetarian? It’s 2024! I’ve been vegetarian for almost 35 years and it is so much easier than it used to be. I assumed at least one vegetarian option was pretty standard. (That being said, I am also picky which presents its challenges.) 😂

BTW, I am just planning my first cruise, so I do not have personal experience.

Usually Cabanas, but last time on the Magic (Panama Canal cruise) we couldn't find a seat so we ate by pool deck and it was great! Not that crowded yet and we had a great view. That would become our usual spot due to the kids pool and slide. :)

I can imagine a vegan lunch being a challenge on embarkation day for the reasons you mention. But, vegetarian? It’s 2024! I’ve been vegetarian for almost 35 years and it is so much easier than it used to be. I assumed at least one vegetarian option was pretty standard. (That being said, I am also picky which presents its challenges.) 😂

BTW, I am just planning my first cruise, so I do not have personal experience.
The embarkation sit down lunch is very limited even for someone with no dietary restrictions. And I say this as someone who prefers to go there over the buffet. 😂

Looking at a menu the only vegetarian items I see are the appetizer salad, maybe the cup of leek and potato soup (depending upon what they use for the liquid), the pennette pasta, and kids Mac and cheese.
From the DCL blog:
Screenshot_20240404-082055.png

The dinner menus have actual meatless options, as do the sit down lunches during the cruise. I think they made the lunch menu small due to the turn around day and restocking of supplies that happens.

I do none of the above. We get on as early as possible. Get chairs in the Cove adult pool area. I usually get something from the grill or maybe a wrap and fruit. Then eat at my chair. My husband sometimes goes to cabanas. My kids are on their own, usually getting lunch at cabanas and the trolling the ship looking for people they know. We are pearl and my disabled adult daughter and her best friend have been on so many times on the fantasy, dream, magic and wonder they know lots of staff. Its never occurred to me to go to a dining room.

anywhere but the buffet probably do one of the fast food places on deck 11 or sit down at one of the 3 restaurants on deck 3 way less people and more relaxing

I do none of the above. We get on as early as possible. Get chairs in the Cove adult pool area. I usually get something from the grill or maybe a wrap and fruit. Then eat at my chair. My husband sometimes goes to cabanas. My kids are on their own, usually getting lunch at cabanas and the trolling the ship looking for people they know. We are pearl and my disabled adult daughter and her best friend have been on so many times on the fantasy, dream, magic and wonder they know lots of staff. Its never occurred to me to go to a dining room.
forgot about cove pool area..do they have snacks there? will have a big bfast before we depart for the port..

For us, usually it is Cabana's. However, on the Wish it is Mickey's Festival of Foods. We ate it on embarkation day on our last Wish cruise and it worked out great. This was the one time that there was not long lines for this option. Will be doing this going forward on the triton class ships if they hopefully all have the the Festival of Foods!

I would rather skip lunch than go to Cabanas. We tried it once and it was utter chaos in there. For me, it’s the exact opposite of how I want to start vacation. We usually do MDR lunch, get the Welcome Aboard Sundae, and rooms are ready by the time we are done. Way more relaxing. Though on the Wish I would do Festival of Foods if we board late

We kind of enjoy the day one Cabanas craziness. The food is good, and you can eat quickly to get out to the pool deck ASAP!

And the MDR embarkation lunch truly is not very vegetarian friendly.

Now debarkation is a totally different story. We always drag ourselves to first seating breakfast in the MDR at 6:30. There's no excited anticipatory feel at Cabanas that last morning, just dread. We enjoying one last meal of being served before exiting.

What is the favorite to order from the MDR embarkation lunch menu? Cruising soon and would love to try it this time😊

We usually enjoy Cabana's as we go there as soon as it opens, and eat outside. Rightfully would do otherwise if not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter