Embarkation Lunch - Where do you go?

Where do you typically go for Embarkation Lunch?

• Main Dining Room Sit Down Embarkation Lunch

Votes: 71 37.2%
  • Concierge Embarkation Lunch

Votes: 19 9.9%
  • Buffet (Cabanas/Marceline Market) Embarkation Lunch

Votes: 95 49.7%
  • Tend to skip embarkation lunch

Votes: 6 3.1%

• Total voters

Cfabar1

DIS Veteran
So, I am curious how everyone wants to start their cruises. Lots of different options - but wondering which one people tend to think is the best way to start their cruise!

Cabanas. Every time. It is our routine. We know our cruise has officially started when we have our first cabanas meal!

I'll second this! Plus once getting on board a ship I don't want to be cooped up in a restaurant. I want all the big windows to see the water, other ships, etc....

We had been platinum so for many cruises when we got BG 1, we went right there (often had to wait for them to open) and had the place pretty much to ourselves for most of the meal. When that stopped it got hectic there, but now being Pearl we get on early and it's back to being a nice relaxing experience.

Sit down lunch. At least they have a clearly marked vegan option. Cabanas is too chaotic. And it’s easier leaving your carry-on at the sit down restaurant. Don’t do concierge, it’s not within my budget.

We're mostly Cabanas. But when we've traveled with parents we've done MDR to avoid the hectic crowds at Cabanas.

Only have done 1 cruise so far, got 2 more booked. My friend and I went to Animator Palate on Fantasy. We got on the ship around 1 pm. Read that Cabanas can get super busy so we went for sit down lunch since we had carry on luggage. Time we got done, the rooms were open. Did the opposite leaving the ship, went to Cabanas.

The Oreo cheesecake was delicious.

Attachments

• IMG_6686.jpeg
    IMG_6686.jpeg
    41.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
For us, it depends on a number of factors. Did we have breakfast and how large was it? Do we have our carry on bags with us? What do we feel like eating? On our January cruise, we ate at Cabanas. On our September cruise, we ate from the offerings on the pool deck a little later after dropping our bags off in our stateroom. January 2023, we ate at the MDR. No real pattern or set plan; each cruise is different.

We've done 4 cruises. 1 cruise we just did some pool deck food as we had a big breakfast and a late PAT, so rooms were ready shortly after we boarded. The other 3 were the sit down lunch. We find it very relaxing and a great start to our cruise.

We always head straight to Cabanas! Need to eat our fill of crab and shrimp! Our first cruise after Covid was our one and only concierge cruise, and we could not pass up lunch at Cabanas. It has become such a ritual since our very first cruise. Would not feel right without it.

We've done both and prefer the sit down option for a couple of reasons.

It's much less crowded than the buffet and the food is just as good. Also, you have plenty of chances to go to the buffet for lunch throughout the cruise and the food is usually all the same. The Embarkation Lunch Menu is obviously only served on one day so it's nice to mix it up.

I'll second this! Plus once getting on board a ship I don't want to be cooped up in a restaurant. I want all the big windows to see the water, other ships, etc....

We had been platinum so for many cruises when we got BG 1, we went right there (often had to wait for them to open) and had the place pretty much to ourselves for most of the meal. When that stopped it got hectic there, but now being Pearl we get on early and it's back to being a nice relaxing experience.
I like to do the sit down meal and then head up to the top decks so we can officially kick things off with the first adult beverage 8-)

It’s funny, I never understood why you would want to start with Cabannas? Now I know but To me, taking time for a sit down meal was a waste of “fun” time. Of course I had kids ready to jump right in the pools/ ride the auquaduck/ ride the Mickey slide as soon as possible!!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter