Eagle Pines closing for new deluxe resort????

Stinkerbell317

LOSTaholic
DId anyone see the announcement that Eagle Pines golf course will be closing this year to make way for a new deluxe resort??? Could this be the much anticipated Contemporary DVC resort!? The course is near the MK but not right next to it. Does anyone know anything abt this?

I saw the announcement, but hoped they'd do a new Deluxe there and abandon the original DVC plan. If they did build another MK Deluxe it could take the demand for Deluxe rooms and give back the inventory of rooms that would be lost if DVC were to be going into all three MK Monorail Deluxes.

pretty sure it is the four seasons.

I don't think the management has decided yet which the new CR will be - either DVC or suites - it might be both (like BWV & BWI)

It's the Four Seasons development going in. I think there's some question as to what type of access there will be to the golf courses once the new resort is complete.

Four Seasons partners with Disney World to build resort
Mar 2, 2007

Associated Press - LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts will build a luxury hotel and 18-hole championship golf course along the northeast border of Walt Disney World, theme park officials said Thursday.

The Toronto-based luxury hotel chain is part of two expansion plans that will take eight to 10 years to fully develop and will include single- and multifamily vacation homes, fractional ownership homes and a 450-acre retail, dining and lodging district, said Meg Crofton, Disney World's president.

“This is a first-of-its kind development for our company,” Crofton said. “Four Seasons is a world-renowned brand known for its luxury and appeal.”

The number of jobs the two developments will bring to the area is unknown, Crofton said. Disney currently has 60,000 employees.

Four Seasons, with 74 hotels in 31 countries and two locations currently in Florida, will anchor a 900-acre development which already houses two golf courses. The hotel planned to open in 2010 could break ground later this year, Crofton said.

One of the existing golf courses will be upgraded into a championship course and the other will be renamed after the Four Seasons brand.

The second development will be roughly the size of Disney's Animal Kingdom and be located just outside the western entrance. About 4,500 time shares and hotel units will surround a pedestrian-friendly retail village that includes restaurants, shops and small-scale entertainment venues. Construction is slated for later this year.

“We chose this area because it's a great opportunity to further enhance the western entrance of our resort,” Crofton said. “We're currently putting the finishing touches on the design and then we will give this development a strong brand name.”

One of the existing golf courses will be upgraded into a championship course and the other will be renamed after the Four Seasons brand.

In several of the other releases it was stated that the Four Seasons Resort will be built on the site of the Eagle Pines Resort and the Osprey Ridge course will be reworked and rebranded to a Four Seasons course. With the amount of property involved, I don't think they will have enough property to keep 2 courses in that area. I also would be surprised if Disney guest were allowed access to the Four Seasons Course once it is rebranded. Of course I could be wrong on both accounts, time will tell.

It is my understanding that Eagle Pines will be closed as of August 1st. With that closing it has become much harder to get tee times. I was getting tee times for out trip in October and I forgot to get the times first thing in the morning 90 days in advance and by the time I signed on the earliest at any of the courses that was available was 2:30 PM.

As to the possibility of DVC on the Four Seasons property, I would doubt that will happen. The press release stated that they would be building high end fractional ownership vacation homes. This is not DVC and, in addition, the hotel and property will not be a Disney development. I'm not sure I've seen the particulars of the property deal, but I assume the Four Seasons either bought the property out right or has a long term lease on the property.

When were last at SSR in May and stopped by the DVC center to complete an addon, multiple DVC rep's (I know not the most reliable !!) referred to the Eagle Pines "SALE". Obviously as the property is within Disney's territory, Disney would retain control of many aspects. I looked at it as 'outsourcing' of a new type of resort.

When this is combined with the addition of AKV to the Animal Kingdom Lodge, you have to wonder if Disney's direction is to add DVC to existing resorts and leave the construction of new resort to others. DVC is currently a direction that is providing good revenue and 'locks in' future visits to the resort in the future.

I know this is all guesswork....but just my thoughts...

From what I recall reading on the Orlando Newspaper website, it is actually a long term lease. There was also a sale of some land that occured near the same time to a developer who will be building homes.

This is a quite from the Sentinel article

"The hotel, which hasn't been designed, would face the Osprey Ridge Golf Course, which would be improved. A second golf course, Eagle Pines, and other land would be developed with single- and multifamily vacation homes."

I would interpret the statement about the Eagle Pines golf course as stating the Eagle Pines land and other land will be used for the development. The original press release on the project stated that the hotel and vacation homes will be developed on the site of the Eagle Pines golf course. I suppose that the Sentinel article and the original release could have meant that the development would go around the Eagle Pines golf course leaving it intact, however, the press release stated that Ospery Ridge would be "improved and rebranded" and nothing was said of Eagle Pines being rebranded. I assume since that was not stated, it will not remain.

I'm wishing for Four Seasons DVC! That would just be my wish come true!:love:

I don't think there are even rumors of any part of this being DVC still going. Early on the speculation was that it was a DVC resort (as "timeshares" were mentioned), but that was before it was announced that it would be a Four Seasons property.

I also heard that they were de-incorporating the land from RCID, so I don't know if its a land sale or a long-term lease.

pretty sure it is the four seasons.

I don't think the management has decided yet which the new CR will be - either DVC or suites - it might be both (like BWV & BWI)

I'm sure the new building will be all DVC units. A DVC building in addition to the already existing tower and south garden wing will make it a mixed use resort like BWV and BWI. No need to stick any non DVC units into the new building to achieve that.

I don't think there are even rumors of any part of this being DVC still going. Early on the speculation was that it was a DVC resort (as "timeshares" were mentioned), but that was before it was announced that it would be a Four Seasons property.

I also heard that they were de-incorporating the land from RCID, so I don't know if its a land sale or a long-term lease.

Four Seasons residences are either whole ownership or fractional timeshares. Both are very upscale.

If they are pulling the land out of RCID then it was most likely a sale to maintain voting control. They did this with Celebration as well.

If that is true, then there goes one of Disney's marketing ploys-99 holes of golf!!
That would knock it down to 81 holes of golf!! NOT a good move by Disney AT ALL!! I think this stinks, as I LOVE the disney courses, and that would be less holes to play at WDW!!!

BOO on this project-I don't care if it is the Taj Mahal, Four Seasons or whatever, I think that this stinks!!

Deerh:sad2: :sad2:

If that is true, then there goes one of Disney's marketing ploys-99 holes of golf!!
That would knock it down to 81 holes of golf!!

Actually, the total will go down to 63 holes because Osprey Ridge will be reworked and then rebranded as a Four Seasons Brand. At that point I seriously doubt that Disney guests will have access to the course. The very best I think we could hope for would be limited access if the Four Seasons didn't have enough business to adequately fill the course. As of tomorrow it is 81 holes and the rumors have Osprey Ridge staying open until sometime in 2010 so we still have a while before it goes to 63.

Maybe Disney will take the property they originally had set aside for the Four Seasons in the Celebration area and develop another course or two. This is of course just wishful thinking!

Well there will be one unhappy golf camper in my house! The only way I get my Dh to WDW is the promise that he can play golf, almost as much as he wants.

jimmacmn: When are you going in October? We'll be there from 10-14 to 10-20 and DH hasn't made any tee times yet. Is he going to be more unhappy?? And am I right in thinking because he has a DVC membership he can make his tee times only 14 days in advance?

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter