E100 vs 400TX?

jec6613

DIS Veteran
Just for fun and because I can, I'm cracking out the freezer and want to bring a bit of old school to my 50th visit. What's the opinion - E100 Ektachrome or Tri-X 400? 5 Rolls over 1-2 days of the trip.

I'm leaning Ektachrome since color was common in 1971, but Tri-X also has its own charm.

(for the curious, this will be in an F5, despite owning manual bodies this is still a vacation!)

Edit to add: as far as I can tell, these are the only two emulsions that are still made today roughly the same as they were 50 years ago.

Last edited:
I would say the slides. I don't think a cruise would have the subject matter really suitable for B&W unless you focus on the industrial aspects of the ship. Maybe you could take one roll? The only way I would do that would be to then develop in instant coffee rather a basic Dektol or something like that. Unless you really want school yearbook type pics.

Yeah, Tri-x is more forgiving than the slides but as long as you take care, they'll be fine. Your one limitation is going to be ISO. Everyone is so spoiled with ASA2,000,000,000 in digital that being stuck at 100 will force you to really pick your shots.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter