DVC studios - fewer amenities

Life from OKW

We checked in to a studio. We had dish soap and sponge. No cups or glasses, just styrofoam. We called housekeeping and they were delivered immediately.

No problems here!!

Well that is encouraging. It may not be the best solution, but at least they are following through and delivering glasses and mugs on request at OKW. Keep the reports coming!

got home tonight and had a "canned" voicemail from someone named "Joy" at Disney Vacation Club indicating that she was responding to my email and leaving a number for her to call her back to discuss my issue. she also said she was sorry they hadn't responded earlier. it was definitely pre-recorded--not a live human leaving a message

did anyone else get this?

I have to go back and look at my sent items... I know I sent a follow-up email to memberservices when they sent the original email . . . . wonder which one "she" is responding to . . . .

Yes, I had the same message waiting for me late yesterday. It was pretty generic. I am going to give them a call back today.

I have to comment here. I have been watching this thread with great interest as we were contemplating DVC and would, on occasion, be staying in a studio. I am really impressed with the way you all have addressed this and with Disney's response. At least they DID respond. There are companies out there that would have ignored their owners. We are signing our contract in the next day or so. We already have other vacation ownership and their studios have glass and ceramic. DVC with paper and plastic would have seemed like a step down for more money. Thanks for what you have done - it made a difference for this future owner!

I have to comment here. I have been watching this thread with great interest as we were contemplating DVC and would, on occasion, be staying in a studio. I am really impressed with the way you all have addressed this and with Disney's response. At least they DID respond. There are companies out there that would have ignored their owners. We are signing our contract in the next day or so. We already have other vacation ownership and their studios have glass and ceramic. DVC with paper and plastic would have seemed like a step down for more money. Thanks for what you have done - it made a difference for this future owner!

I am glad you decided to go with DVC. We too have another vacation ownership. I can tell you that the Disney service and amenities at the DVC resorts is MUCH better than with our other timeshare. I know many people are upset about the change in mugs/glasses but DVC is SO much more than mugs and glasses. The rooms are just lovely and each decorated in the theme of the resort. The fact that each resort at WDW has bell services for DVC members is wonderful as we do not have this with our other timeshare and lugging around all of our suitcases is not fun on vacation. Also as DVC members we can take advantage of Magical Express, many discounts throughout the parks and property as well as the Dining Plan. DVC is always looking to improve and expand. We cannot wait for the new resort in HAWAII (and hopefully the Contemporary!). We recently used our points for a Disney Cruise and had the most amazing vacation and made some wonderful memories with our kids. The resorts themselves are beautiful with wonderful landscaping, awesome pools, restaurants and of course you just can't beat the LOCATION!:thumbsup2

:welcome: HOME!

got home tonight and had a "canned" voicemail from someone named "Joy" at Disney Vacation Club indicating that she was responding to my email and leaving a number for her to call her back to discuss my issue. she also said she was sorry they hadn't responded earlier. it was definitely pre-recorded--not a live human leaving a message

did anyone else get this?

I have to go back and look at my sent items... I know I sent a follow-up email to memberservices when they sent the original email . . . . wonder which one "she" is responding to . . . .
I didn't get anything-I'm feeling ignored. I sent a follow-up Email to the members' satisfaction (supposed) answer that "handwashing didn't meet their cleanliness standards, etc." So far, no response. I predict that mousekeeping at SSR and OKW will get pretty sick of all the requests for real glasses/mugs (that is, if people know they can get them by request). At least, I hope so.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-[/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Disney Vacation Club News: The March 11, 2008, issue of All Ears® reported a new policy of using disposable glassware in the Disney Vacation Club Studios. From what we understand, many folks were unhappy with this new policy and wrote/called DVC directly with concerns. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DVC has since revised their policy as follows:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Upon reviewing the dishware and glassware washing process for the studio units, we realized that hand washing wasn't sufficient to meet our cleanliness standards. Glassware and ceramic mugs in the studios were replaced with disposables because dishwashing machines are not available in those units. We wanted to take action quickly and using disposables was the most expedient solution. We have since determined that we will be able to provide glassware and ceramic mugs at resorts where glass washing equipment is available. This includes Disney's Beach Club Villas, Disney's BoardWalk Villas, The Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge, Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas and the Inn rooms at Disney's Vero Beach Resort. For all DVC stand-alone campus properties (Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa, Disney's Old Key West Resort, Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort and the villas at Disney's Vero Beach Resort) that do not have glass washers available, we will continue to utilize the disposable cups until we can source a more environmentally friendly product. We are investigating the possibility of installing glass washers at specified locations throughout the stand-alone campus properties. The disposable cups are replenished upon request. If a Guest/Member calls to request glassware, we will provide it and remove it upon checkout."[/FONT]​

Well that is encouraging. It may not be the best solution, but at least they are following through and delivering glasses and mugs on request at OKW. Keep the reports coming!

I agree, and am also happy to see them doing what they said they would.

However, I'm still wondering why they just can't be in the room already? How do we know that the mugs and glasses they deliver are cleaner than the ones which would have already been there? Are they being sterilized somewhere? If so, why can't they be delivered with the sheets and towels, which are allowed to sit outside until the room is serviced?

I just got a phone call.
The caller ID said Disney Cruise Line.... and my breath caught for a moment. My mind raced and landed on the thought that I had won something in the Year of A Million Dreams sweepstakes... or maybe the DIS cruise... I took a deep breath and picked up the phone. :banana:
I was so excited that my mind couldn't register much more than it was a male voice asking for me. I started to shake a bit.... then came the thud as my heart sloshed back into place and I realized it was about cupgate. :headache:
I couldn't even work up the indignation that I felt about the issue because I felt so foolish.
But I thought I would let you guys know that actual people are calling, so don't start packing for your night in Cindy's castle if your caller ID is from Disney. :sad2: I wouldn't say they were responding with anything other than the party line about how now the cups and glasses are available upon request and how they are trying to react in a timely manner to consider everyone's needs.
I can't say there was any listening going on, but at least they put people
on the phones to respond to our emails.

Boardwalker - I got the same call yesterday afternoon. I thought it was a call about the reservation I just made.

I just got a phone call.
The caller ID said Disney Cruise Line.... and my breath caught for a moment. My mind raced and landed on the thought that I had won something in the Year of A Million Dreams sweepstakes... or maybe the DIS cruise... I took a deep breath and picked up the phone. :banana:
I was so excited that my mind couldn't register much more than it was a male voice asking for me. I started to shake a bit.... then came the thud as my heart sloshed back into place and I realized it was about cupgate. :headache:
I couldn't even work up the indignation that I felt about the issue because I felt so foolish.
But I thought I would let you guys know that actual people are calling, so don't start packing for your night in Cindy's castle if your caller ID is from Disney. :sad2: I wouldn't say they were responding with anything other than the party line about how now the cups and glasses are available upon request and how they are trying to react in a timely manner to consider everyone's needs.
I can't say there was any listening going on, but at least they put people
on the phones to respond to our emails.

HA! I don't feel so alone now! :laughing: Perhaps I should've posted that part....my call said Disney Cruise Line on the caller ID, too.....and I did have momentary visions of having won a cruise :woohoo: :woohoo: .. and I admit I probably didn't respond as well, either. Perhaps it' s a tactic to catch us off guard so we don't probe back too deeply..:rolleyes:

HA! I don't feel so alone now! :laughing: Perhaps I should've posted that part....my call said Disney Cruise Line on the caller ID, too.....and I did have momentary visions of having won a cruise :woohoo: :woohoo: .. and I admit I probably didn't respond as well, either. Perhaps it' s a tactic to catch us off guard so we don't probe back too deeply..:rolleyes:

Yeah right....it might as well said...Disney Sweepstakes Hotline:lmao:
Kerri

I just got a DVC follow-up call regarding my emails on this whole cup thing. Basically was given the mantra that we've already all gotten/read through email. However, I asked follow up questions and was not quite sure what to make of the answers I got. I asked:
1. So if this was such a huge health/sanitary issue, how come we can still request the mugs/glasses be brought to the studios? I mean if we are still going to be handwashing these then how is this whole change making sense?Answer: "Well, this is just for the interim, until Disney can figure out a better plan. To be honest I believe there were complaints from members regarding not having a way to sanitize glasses in the studios and that is why this change was implemented. Actually, I believe lots of people PREFER the disposable cups.My response: Really? That's the first I've heard about members complaining about this issue. (I kinda find it hard to believe)

2. How come the members weren't notified before DVC decided to make this change?
Answer: "Well this is really a resort day-to-day operational issue. It's like when we change the bath mats, that's not something we would notify the members about." (This answer kinda made me cringe, I mean what other things might they consider "day-to-day issues" and not have to notify us about before they take away?)

Thoughts?

Complaints from members on not being able to sanitize the glasses? Hmm. They got caught on tape not washing glasses at a deluxe hotel with dishwashing equipment not at the DVC. DVC studios have always had dish soap. If you can't santize a glass with that, then you have problems.

It's obvious, to me, that Disney was re-acting to the expose on housekeepings bad cleaning of the glassware. Now they can say that all the resorts that have glassware in their rooms have a process in place to run said glassware through a commercial dishwasher and not rely on a maid to wash it with their dirty glove covered hands. If these same complainers (if they exist) think the dishware in the 1/2/3 bedroom units are santized, they have another thing coming to them.

I bet you are right. They planned this....They are a dasteredly bunch! And cunning... they sound like Simba but think like Scar!
But I swear, I was so embarrassed about feeling so stupid, I was stuttering. I just wanted to hang up and slap myself.
Talk about the eternal optimist.... or should I say, sucker. I am so ashamed. I folded like a house of cards.
So plan well people! Know the call is coming and know what the points are that you want clearly heard. Don't let foreign ports of call blind you momentarily.

Complaints from members on not being able to sanitize the glasses? Hmm. They got caught on tape not washing glasses at a deluxe hotel with dishwashing equipment not at the DVC. DVC studios have always had dish soap. If you can't santize a glass with that, then you have problems.

It's obvious, to me, that Disney was re-acting to the expose on housekeepings bad cleaning of the glassware. Now they can say that all the resorts that have glassware in their rooms have a process in place to run said glassware through a commercial dishwasher and not rely on a maid to wash it with their dirty glove covered hands. If these same complainers (if they exist) think the dishware in the 1/2/3 bedroom units are santized, they have another thing coming to them.

In the 1/2/3 bedroom villas the dishes are easily sanitized in the dishwasher. Also, just plain soap will not "sanitize". Sorry, that is the nurse in me talking...

And for that matter...how many of you actually "sanitize" your own glassware at home?

I can't say that I do. If I remember to hit the "Sanitize" button on the dishwasher, then it gets done. Otherwise, things just run through the dishwasher on regular load or get washed by hand in hot soapy water (imagine that).

Totally agree with the overreaction to the media expose story.

I bet you are right. They planned this....They are a dasteredly bunch! And cunning... they sound like Simba but think like Scar!
But I swear, I was so embarrassed about feeling so stupid, I was stuttering. I just wanted to hang up and slap myself.
Talk about the eternal optimist.... or should I say, sucker. I am so ashamed. I folded like a house of cards.
So plan well people! Know the call is coming and know what the points are that you want clearly heard. Don't let foreign ports of call blind you momentarily.

Ok--can I just say . . . . I got a Fed Ex notice that they had tried to deliver to my house . . . didn't say from whom . . . . went to the Fed Ex office and it was from Disney . . . I was getting VERY excited . . . . must be a BIG YOMD prize . . . . RIGHT?

and then opened it up and realized that it was my annual pass vouchers I got from buying DVC--a great perk, but not the big prize I was hoping for . . . .so I feel for ya . . . I really do :upsidedow :upsidedow

And for that matter...how many of you actually "sanitize" your own glassware at home?

I can't say that I do. If I remember to hit the "Sanitize" button on the dishwasher, then it gets done. Otherwise, things just run through the dishwasher on regular load or get washed by hand in hot soapy water (imagine that).

Totally agree with the overreaction to the media expose story.

What sanitize button? I wash my dishes by hand. We don't have a dishwasher... actually we do, and I am it. I wash dishes by hand in hot soapy water. With two people left in the home, why hold dirty dishes for two weeks until we can fill a dishwasher?

Do you think I am taking a risk in admitting that?.... because apparently, I don't meet Disney's standards of housekeeping. :laundy: But wait, I don't want to make any large corporation nervous but, this emoticon guy isn't wearing gloves!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter