DVC Retirement Updates

Noah_t

Mouseketeer
I would love to hear from people who use DVC as a part of their retirement plans and do an extended stay every year. As a Canadian living in Vancouver I am finding the winters to be colder and colder as I grow older and I think I like the idea of doing a couple months either in Aulani or Disney World every year.

It is part of my plan to escape the cold in Syracuse…From Dec to March, the plan is 3 or 4 nights each month…we wanted this more than a start few weeks at once.

So far, love it! Eventually, may decide to do 5 nights, but we also visit a few more times in the year, so want points to do that!

Similar for us - 2-3 trips between early December and early March - get out of the cold, and also avoid the Florida heat and humidity many of those other months of the year! Usually DVC stays are part of a split vacation that might include time in the Tampa area, time in S Fla, and even a short flight from Florida to one of the islands! But always some time at one of the DVC resorts and time in the WDW parks and restaurants!

I would love to hear from people who use DVC as a part of their retirement plans and do an extended stay every year. As a Canadian living in Vancouver I am finding the winters to be colder and colder as I grow older and I think I like the idea of doing a couple months either in Aulani or Disney World every year.
There is one DISBoarder who goes to AUL for 3 weeks every Feb.

You can get 21 nights in a 1 bedroom Villa with an Island/Garden view for 735 points.

At $90pp that would cost you $66k upfront and $6700 in annual dues.

I think it’s brilliant!

or 14k if renting at $20per point
The amortized buy-in + dues is $11.53pp, so it’s a pretty big savings if you want to travel every year. Given that the contract has 37 years left, there will probably also be some residual value they could sell it at the time they are done traveling.

Very similar to leasing vs buying a car.

I thought I've read of several who go to Disney for 6-8 weeks every winter. One couple did a few months switching between studio and one bedroom in different resorts.

I would love that. Not sure of the cost outlay though.

As of right now we have enough points to head south in Jan / Feb for at least 3 weeks from PA and mostly stay in 1 or 2 BR's. We get the 2 BR's because sometimes our son flies down for a long weekend and we like having the extra space. Personally I couldn't spend that length of time in studios. I'd go bonkers. We plan on splitting that time between HHI, WDW and VB. We could stay longer, but it would impact our early Dec / Fall trips and we aren't willing to give that up.

I'd like to have even more points, but I also hate to take on the extra maintenance fees. The longer this resale market keeps dropping, though, the more tempted I get :flower:.

Our plans have always been.....
4-5 night trips (likely Sun - Wed/TH) roughly every 6 weeks Nov-April
1 of those trips for a family vacation (bring kids and grands if we have 'em)

How many points does that take? I don't know. We're working our way up to it as we go.

We are already making multiple short trips per year but pay cash for many of them. My DD working at Disney has changed things a bit. She's gotten us pretty great room discounts and free admission. That being said, I just bought an AP to make things easier and be less dependent on her tix / discounts for our use. And now we're also considering buying a condo for her to rent back from us....I don't know where it will all lead.

One year at a time. Literally. The plan is one small add on every year until we get to where we want to be.

I just can’t justify the cost per point for this type of expenditure.

If going to Disney for vacation, I love staying in the DVC buildings.

However, my wife and I have been renting out our points the past two years so we could stay in Florida (3 bedroom townhomes) for two months.

Choice of staying three weeks at a DVC 1 bedroom vs two months off resort is just something we couldn’t choose as value.

I just can’t justify the cost per point for this type of expenditure.

If going to Disney for vacation, I love staying in the DVC buildings.

However, my wife and I have been renting out our points the past two years so we could stay in Florida (3 bedroom townhomes) for two months.

Choice of staying three weeks at a DVC 1 bedroom vs two months off resort is just something we couldn’t choose as value.

That sounds like a smart plan.

That is definitely part of my plan. I am 63 and plan on working until 65 when I can get Medicare. I have amassed 733 points at a number of different resorts and while I am currently renting some of them out, I will definitely use them to stay for weeks at a time once I retire. Currently I go for two 10 day trips per year and add on an occasional shorter 5 day trip. Started out staying in studios and now stay mostly in one bedrooms, but still use some of the nicer studios like Riviera.

In addition to DVC, I also own a lot of points at Wyndham, several weeks at HGVC, several weeks at HICV and some RCI points as well. All told, I can probably spend half the year in Orlando if I choose. I live in PA, so that might not be a bad thing.

Last edited:
That us definitely part of my plan. I am 63 and plan on working until 65 when I can get Medicare. I have amassed 733 points at a number of different resorts and while I am currently renting some of them out, I will definitely use them to stay for weeks at a time once I retire. Currently I go for two 10 day trips per year and add on an occasional shorter 5 day trip. Started out staying in studios and now stay mostly in one bedrooms, but still use some of the nicer studios like Riviera.

In addition to DVC, I also own a lot of points at Wyndham, several weeks at HGVC, several weeks at HICV and some RCI points as well. All told, I can probably spend half the year in Orlando if I choose. I live in PA, so that might not be a bad thing.
I believe there was someone here about 10 years, that did a year of traveling about, staying on points at a dozen different places.

I have Wyndham time share also, with that and the measly 160 points at BLT, maybe a month depending on the season. A friend of mine bought Wyndham points on resale market in mid late 90s has over 1.5 million points. They have gone away from June-Sept stayed at all Wyndham resorts in throughout Florida.

That is definitely part of my plan. I am 63 and plan on working until 65 when I can get Medicare. I have amassed 733 points at a number of different resorts and while I am currently renting some of them out, I will definitely use them to stay for weeks at a time once I retire. Currently I go for two 10 day trips per year and add on an occasional shorter 5 day trip. Started out staying in studios and now stay mostly in one bedrooms, but still use some of the nicer studios like Riviera.

Wow. Seems like a nice retirement.
How much do you spend in MF per year, if I may ask?

I'm 53. Hoping to semi-retire in 3 years.

Hoping to escape cold PA in the winter as much as possible.

Wife and I currently have 530 points(350 SSR and 230 OKW) and we plan to use them all in a big chunk every year for however long it will stretch. Hoping that it will get us about a month there each year...roughly mid-Jan thru Mid Feb.

Also have 6 weeks of non-DVC timeshare on the beach at Vero Beach(Reef Ocean Resort), specific deeds for the last 2 weeks of Feb and 4 weeks in March each year.

If all works out, should be in FL for about 10 weeks each year...4 at DVC and 6 on the beach.
Fingers crossed!!

Quite a bit of money in dues at both places, but no headaches re: owning a condo or anything like that.

PS - I sat next to a retired judge from Philly on a Disney bus once who told me his plan. He stayed on DVC points just Sun thru Thurs for Jan. and Feb., and then took weekend "road trips" and stayed in business traveler-type hotels for all 7 of the weekends to different parts of Florida. That seems like a lot of moving for me, but definitely pretty smart to maximize points by avoiding weekends, I think... He said he got good weekend deals at business hotels, but that was 7-8 years ago and I'm not sure if this is still possible.

Wow. Seems like a nice retirement.
How much do you spend in MF per year, if I may ask?
Lots. I have not really set down an determined what I am spending on MFs in a while. That said, I am using many of my timeshare points to stay in the DC area where I work. It saves me from renting an apartment. When I do finally retire, I may start getting rid of some of my contracts.

It is part of my plan to escape the cold in Syracuse…From Dec to March, the plan is 3 or 4 nights each month…we wanted this more than a start few weeks at once.

So far, love it! Eventually, may decide to do 5 nights, but we also visit a few more times in the year, so want points to do that!
Do you fly and rent a car each time?

Do you fly and rent a car each time?

Fly! I can’t stand being in the car for 90 minutes to drive to Rochester to see my grandkids..I couldn’t make it 22 hours!! Lol

It’s about $350 as an average right now but so worth it. I usually travel solo or with friends..who cover their own costs.

But, even when DH joins, it’s still just two of us..so not bad at all!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter