DVC ressie with no tickets

Maybe the work around for those of us with 2020 reservations and no tickets is to book a 2021 DVC stay and buy tickets when 2021 ticket sales open up. I think it would certainly work for people who buy APs. I have a 2021 reservation already in place for my birthday in April.
[/QUOTE]

I have no doubt that's what Disney is hoping for. They need our rooms. But it doesn't work for anyone with points expiring in 2020. Our reservation is using 2018 banked points so the point extension due to the closure only goes to sometime in Nov 2020. Even if we could reschedule to something prior to that (we can't) it wouldn't help with the no ticket situation. So, we'll be keeping our Aug reservation - no matter what. Whatever days the guys without tickets right now can't get into a WDW park, they plan on going to Universal or Sea World.

Last edited:
I am fortunate to not be in an expiring point situation and feel for everyone that is. I have an AKL value 1 bedroom booked for December with no park tickets. I was thinking of moving to January so I could buy tickets next week and reserve park days, but I’m going to hold off. I really think that the demand may not be as crazy as people think and there will be some availability left for 2020 tickets and park res’s to buy later this summer. There are a lot of people who don’t want to travel right now. Could be totally wrong, but fingers crossed for all us 2020 folks!

The new Disney language May indicate that all 2021 things will open the 24th now and not the 28th.

So, anyone wanting tickets then, I’d try on the 24th. No new news on 2020 tickets...although someone posted on another board that they were told AP sales will not resume until 2020 tickets go on sale. However, they may begin processing renewals soon.

But, I have not seen that actually from Disney...just sharing.

The new Disney language May indicate that all 2021 things will open the 24th now and not the 28th.

So, anyone wanting tickets then, I’d try on the 24th. No new news on 2020 tickets...although someone posted on another board that they were told AP sales will not resume until 2020 tickets go on sale. However, they may begin processing renewals soon.

But, I have not seen that actually from Disney...just sharing.

People are able to do renewals - I've seen a couple of posts on that today from people who have.

If you are talking tickets for 2021, many CMS have said the 24th...but some said the 28th...so again, not clear.

My post is about 2020 tickets which will not be available to anyone until later this summer. Of course, Disney has not defined that sl as far as we know, that could be two weeks from now.

Again, I get why some people didn’t buy tickets yet for 2020...my point was though, that some people did and those people...regardless of where they are staying...get priority into the system for 2020 dates.
Oh got it. Sorry for misunderstanding

Is the current thinking that 2021 tickets will be on sale on the 24th or 28th? I have a DVC reservation for March 2021 and need tickets.

Is the current thinking that 2021 tickets will be on sale on the 24th or 28th? I have a DVC reservation for March 2021 and need tickets.
Yes...... Most folks believe it will be the 24th. Worst case it is the 28th. Over the last 48 hours the feelings about the 24th have gone from "worth a try" to "we believe this will be the case".

Yes...... Most folks believe it will be the 24th. Worst case it is the 28th. Over the last 48 hours the feelings about the 24th have gone from "worth a try" to "we believe this will be the case".

To add, the newest update from Disney that came out with resorts seems to indicate maybe the 24th for all 2021 things!

I need tickets for August. Gotta go or points gone. I am hoping that due to Universal having plenty of ticket availability DISNEY will also and in a week this all gets resolved. I think the commuted DVC and some others want to go but the majority will just wait till this all calms down.
I have to believe Disney wants my park ticket money as well as my money I will spend in the parks. Don’t force my hand and make me give it to Universal while staying DVC.

Do they expect people to jump on board with buying Riviera after this disaster? Please spend 10s of thousands of dollars on our shiny new resort. Oh, but you can only stay there. You cant get into the parks because you cant buy tickets. Sorry
Take ita step further. We want to go next August - it's outside the 11th. month window. Everyone non DVC can make park reservations now. By the time, it's inside the 11th. month, there may not be any park reservations left. The value of our membership just plummeted!

Take ita step further. We want to go next August - it's outside the 11th. month window. Everyone non DVC can make park reservations now. By the time, it's inside the 11th. month, there may not be any park reservations left. The value of our membership just plummeted!

Ok - I'd offer a bet that won't be the case. And if I understand correctly you don't have to wait until you have the hotel reservation. On June 28th you'd be able to book the parks for next August when it opens up to those with tickets but no reservations. If you know you're going to go then reserve the park before the room.

i wasn't even tracking this until i read something on the dvc fb page. But we have reservations for a dec 12 at blt and had not bought park tickets. Reading through this thread am i to understand we might not be able to buy park tickets for our dec stay?

i wasn't even tracking this until i read something on the dvc fb page. But we have reservations for a dec 12 at blt and had not bought park tickets. Reading through this thread am i to understand we might not be able to buy park tickets for our dec stay?

Ticket sales for 2020 will eventually resume at some point. Disney has said later this summer...some are hoping in a few weeks,,

By the time you go to buy, there is a chance that the park will already be filled to capacity. They will show you that before purchase.

However, by December, things will be better so it may not sell out as fast as the early months.

Absolutely 100% correct. However the very first thing Umberto said to us 17 years ago was that buying in has to make sense. And the first question of the three was how often do we go to the parks. Like being told that point values would never change it has always been marketed as an offshoot of the parks. So yes it is my opinion because why would I pay dues every year for DVC if it wasn’t to have access to the parks.
The bottom line though is they are looking at 12+ months of park potential capacity restraints and experience limiters. The contract unlinks the timeshare from the parks.

Add to that the legal separation of DVC, resorts and parks. Three divisions making decisions separately. DVC has no say over parks operation, and cash guests are better cashflow right now than DVC for parks.

DVCM is required to manage DVC for the benefit of owners according to the contract.

The adaptations already offered for the recent closure will screw up the points system for at least a year. If they do a ton of stuff for more than a year, you are looking at a far longer period of points problems, that may compound if they are forced to close again.

We can talk legal/ethical all day, but if owners sued over the park issues, it wouldn't hold water because of the contract. But managing pandemic points surplus across a multi year period is in the realm of what DVCM is supposed to do, and has standing to do.

The bottom line though is they are looking at 12+ months of park potential capacity restraints and experience limiters. The contract unlinks the timeshare from the parks.

Add to that the legal separation of DVC, resorts and parks. Three divisions making decisions separately. DVC has no say over parks operation, and cash guests are better cashflow right now than DVC for parks.

DVCM is required to manage DVC for the benefit of owners according to the contract.

The adaptations already offered for the recent closure will screw up the points system for at least a year. If they do a ton of stuff for more than a year, you are looking at a far longer period of points problems, that may compound if they are forced to close again.

We can talk legal/ethical all day, but if owners sued over the park issues, it wouldn't hold water because of the contract. But managing pandemic points surplus across a multi year period is in the realm of what DVCM is supposed to do, and has standing to do.
There is case law for "false advertising" where this could fall under. Many have commented that part of the DVC sales pitch is the access to parks. Sure the contract says one thing, but the way it was sold to many of us in light of what is happening now might not go over well in court according to precedent.

Then it would seem very logical to “allow” me to keep my 343 point reservation this August by letting me purchase tickets so I don’t “add” to the future overloaded point problem

Looks like we may be staying at DVC but heading to Universal Studios over Thanksgiving since they do NOT require a reservation! I'm feeling everyone's pain!

That's what we did, but cancelled DVC (banked those points) and are staying at Universal for Express Pass.

I just talked to Member Services. We have a reservation at Bay Lake beginning on Aug 2 but did not buy tickets yet. They had no idea when I will be able to buy tickets and she checked with her supervisor. :(

DVC contracts are explicit that they are a real estate holding in a resort only and do not promise access to theme parks. If the theme parks are closed permanently you still own DVC to contract terms.

So saying DVC is worthless if they have ticket and capacity constraints is opinion, not contract right.

Actually you are incorrect.

Its not worthless you will actually have to pay to take the contract off your hands. So it is actually much worse than what you are saying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter