DVC resales???? Need help!

disneyfanUSA

DIS Veteran
Hi I am thinking about buying a DVC. I want SSR to be my home resort. If I do buy it might be a resale. Why wouldn't people just buy a resale? Do you get extra fees or something? Do you get the same benefits like the discount on annual passes? Also, can you use your points to stay at WDW hotels that are not DVC? The amount of points for a certain week and hotel never go up right? Will annual dues be lower if the person you buy the resale from bought it sooner or are dues always going to be the same for each resort? Thanks for any willing to help. I have already called a DVC rep so all my info is on the way.

Hi I am thinking about buying a DVC. I want SSR to be my home resort. If I do buy it might be a resale. Why wouldn't people just buy a resale?

Some people don't want to go through the whole making an offer, waiting for Disney to decide if they want to buy it at that price and then if so having to start all over again. For those who have no immediate need to get the points in a hurry it can save them some money or allow them to buy less than the 160 points Disney requires for a first time buyer. It can also allow them to buy more points for the same amount of money. It depends on your tolerance level for suspense and waiting to hear from the broker if your offer is accepted and if Disney will pass on it. The closing costs are more than if you go through Disney. You also have to look at the points in the contract. If you buy from Disney now and get an August or later contract you will get all the points from 2006 and another amount when the first of your month happens in 2007. There are also some other incentives available I think. You really need to put numbers on paper and see how they compare for the same size contracts. Some resale contracts have the points banked and it amounts to the same as a Disney one. Others have no points available for a year or so and while the price is good if you want to use points in the near future it is not such a good deal.

Do you get extra fees or something? Do you get the same benefits like the discount on annual passes?

The only extra fees would be those associated with closing costs. Once you are a member all fees are equal for all members based on home resort.

Also, can you use your points to stay at WDW hotels that are not DVC?

Yes you can but it is not always a good thing to do. The number of points for a regular hotel room is quite high in most cases although the ones for the hotels at Disneyland seem to be fairly good. You cannot use them at value resorts or any hotel that is connected with a DVC resort such as WL, YC, BC, BI and now AK.

The amount of points for a certain week and hotel never go up right?
The points for the DVC units stay the same with only the change in dates for certain weeks such as Easter. The regular hotel points can change yearly because they are negotiated with the CRO part of Disney.

Will annual dues be lower if the person you buy the resale from bought it sooner or are dues always going to be the same for each resort?

Annual dues have nothing to do with anything except how many points you own and what is your home resort. It makes no difference when or from whom you bought. They can and usually do change on a yearly basis. There is a yearly cap on how much they can go up but I don't recall what it is now.

Thanks for any willing to help. I have already called a DVC rep so all my info is on the way.

Hope this helps a little.

Thanks for the help. I just realized I put this is the wrong section so you can move me over if you need to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter