• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC purchase order & getting spouse on board

It depends on the UY, you get the points of the UY you buy (with a few exceptions for special situations). That's less than a fully loaded resale contract. It's not a good reason to buy retail unless the dollar difference is fairly small.

I don't understand how getting 2016 and 2017 points with a retail purchase will be less points than a fully loaded resale contract. Wouldn't the same number of points be available either way if "fully loaded" means having all the points from the previous year banked? I'm looking into CCV, so the dollar difference should be small especially after considering higher closing costs and commission for resale contracts.

I don't understand how getting 2016 and 2017 points with a retail purchase will be less points than a fully loaded resale contract. Wouldn't the same number of points be available either way if "fully loaded" means having all the points from the previous year banked? I'm looking into CCV, so the dollar difference should be small especially after considering higher closing costs and commission for resale contracts.
Either way you'd have to be in the 2016 UY. A fully loaded contract would've be banked 2015 points, 2016 & 2017. Regardless, buying retail to get the points to bank isn't worth it unless there are no significant savings resale AND the other parameters make sense because that means you're buying top end anyway.

The max value to put on prior year points is really ~$18 per point, based on rental value. For most resorts, the spread between retail and resale is greater than $18.

The max value to put on prior year points is really ~$18 per point, based on rental value. For most resorts, the spread between retail and resale is greater than $18.
It's actually less when you pay dues which is another reason a fully loaded contract can be a great deal because you almost never reimburse for banked pints already available

I don't see CCV hitting resale as quickly as Aulani and Poly.

The big thing with those two resorts to keep in mind is that a bunch of people did (stupid, pixie-dust induced) things like buy Aulani on a cruise or because their rep said it was what was available, but they wanted to be booking Disney every year, in October. Or, they bought Poly but didn't understand that Poly is studios + bungalow$ and they really need 2BR units and don't like the "just get two studios!" solution.

I think CCV is more desirable than either in the sense of "complete selection of unit types" and "on campus."

Aulani had some early-days dumpster fire issues as well, like the fraudulent setting of dues and HI shutting down sales.

Every resort has had resales come up around similar times. DVC sells vacation pixie dust and they will be doing the same with CCV. If nothing else there are life changes that come up and so on.

However, early resales are usually not priced to make it much worth the while vs direct. If it's a large contract then the discount still might be worth it but a price spread will probably take a bit of time.

Either way you'd have to be in the 2016 UY. A fully loaded contract would've be banked 2015 points, 2016 & 2017. Regardless, buying retail to get the points to bank isn't worth it unless there are no significant savings resale AND the other parameters make sense because that means you're buying top end anyway.

However no CCV contract will have 2015 points and a fully loaded resale won't be possible for awhile.

However no CCV contract will have 2015 points and a fully loaded resale won't be possible for awhile.
My answer was broader than just current CCV. I was trying to establish the principle plus I didn't get the impression they were just looking at CCV.

My DH is not a huge Disney fan but I am and so are my kids. I know many say that DVC is not an investment but for my family it has already saved us money in the few short years we have bought into it. We were planning on going to Aulani and Grand Californian. ( That trip in cash would of cost us almost 25,000) had we paid cash. So in one trip our entire DVC down payment was justified. It all depends on how you look at it and how you plan to vacation.
The way I got my DH on board was explaining our previous vacations and vacations we wanted to take and just breaking it down money wise. Secondly, he likes the fact that if we ever decided we did not want to use it or if something happened to us we could transfer/will it to our children.

My answer was broader than just current CCV. I was trying to establish the principle plus I didn't get the impression they were just looking at CCV.

The poster you quoted had stated that they were only interested in CCV so resale wasn't currently an option but they were thinking about waiting for CCV resale to start appearing vs just going direct now. At least that's how I read it. In general, yes, resale is the only way to get a fully loaded contract but not yet for CCV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter