DVC Contemporary...

I too, saw the 'construction' this week at the CR, and wondered what it was...
I also wonder how many people in there 40's/50's NOW who own, would buy CRV for their GRANDCHILDREN?? My wife and I with teenagers aren't that crazy about the MK, (we did go there this time), but how many would buy for future generations??? I would bet a LOT!!! I am considering buying if they build it, and I am not crazy about MK, but my grandkids would be!!

deerh

Indeed... monorail... walking to MK... This will definitely be a popular resort for young families... No problems selling out.

Yes, but will young families be able to afford the cost of buying in? Personally, I don't think that it will be a DVC. There's too much money for Disney to make selling the suites for cash.

Yes, but will young families be able to afford the cost of buying in? Personally, I don't think that it will be a DVC. There's too much money for Disney to make selling the suites for cash.

Buying into DVC probably happens out of want versus affordability more often than not, but that's not why I'm responding.

How many times has MAJOR construction happened on-property (inside or outside the theme parks) with ZERO news releases, banners touting what's coming soon, etc.? If the CR construction is "merely" adding a high-rise full of suites to the existing CR room inventory, then Resorts would have no reason to withhold what is going on there. However, since AKL is still in it's infancy, DVD has plenty of reasons to NOT announce what the construction is that's going on at CR. If, as most of the posters who have commented in threads related to this topic state, that a tower of the kind everybody has seen would most likely take at least three years to construct, that places the occupancy squarely in the middle of 2010, a year after the AKL build-out is scheduled to be completed and most likely, based on the current membership sales rate, when it will reach sold-out status.

I don't know if the building will be exclusively DVC, but if it isn't, then why wait to announce what the construction is that's going on next to WDW's most iconic resort?

I still believe we will hear a West Coast DVC announcement prior to a CRV announcement, but that's a whole 'nother thread.

Regards

How many times has MAJOR construction happened on-property (inside or outside the theme parks) with ZERO news releases, banners touting what's coming soon, etc.? If the CR construction is "merely" adding a high-rise full of suites to the existing CR room inventory, then Resorts would have no reason to withhold what is going on there. However, since AKL is still in it's infancy, DVD has plenty of reasons to NOT announce what the construction is that's going on at CR.
This is exactly what I'm thinking. I can't think of anytime Disney has ever been this far along with constructions without announcing what they are up to. Is there anything other than DVC that Disney could be building that they wouldn't announce?

I'd like to hear how much effort it took "ScottakaMickey" to rent those points as he indicated he did. I suspect it was the easiest two grand he made in some time.

Yes, it was very easy and quite frankly it has been very enjoyable. The full 320 points I got were rented in about 6 hours of my time all in one day. Is the process done, no. Am I acting as someones travel agent. Yes, by my own choosing and enjoyment. Helping a Disney fan like myself has turned out to be very enjoyable.

They can. Whether they do so or not is a CHOICE made by the member. The fact remains that DVC has facilitated the additional savings. And since the topic here is actually CRV, the point I was making stands: People may be wise to wait a few months before buying since AKV initial sales have shown that the peak value of the discount improved after several months of sales.

...if they find value in the possible promotion offered...and are willing to do the work, and take the risks, necessary to realize it. Which means, while "available" to everyone, it's not necessarily of any use/value to everyone. Saying it's of use to anyone with "sense" is snide, condescending, untrue, and, quite frankly, just detracts from any point you're trying to make.

Your words not mine, but the fact remains that for the marginal amount of work those buying now can pay $1500-2500 less than those who bought in March or April.

My words, your insinuation. FYI, I hardly feel "shafted". Again, looking at the deal currently being offered, we would have made the same decision now as we did then. So the deal's not any better. Your cavelier attitude toward renting (displayed below in your explanations) goes a long way toward explaining why your POV is what it is. That's great for you. I tend to enter into business transactions (since that's what this is) with a little more of a conservative and serious approach. That's not displaying a lack of sense, by any means. It's just a different perspective.

I'd like to hear how much effort it took "ScottakaMickey" to rent those points as he indicated he did. I suspect it was the easiest two grand he made in some time.

Whether or not ScottakaMickey had an "easy time" is irrelevant. He's willing to go through the process, take the risks, and act as someone else's travel agent. It may go very smooth for him. Bully for him, I hope he enjoys his windfall. I have no desire to do any of that, because none of it seems to be outweighed by the reward of 1700-ish dollars. It's not enough of a reward for the risks and work involved.

As for risk, to the member it's zero. Nada. Zilch.

Renting for $9 per point you could ask for all of the money up front and someone would bite. Money in pocket, no problems.

The only real risk to members comes when people use a two-step payment process and the non-member doesn't live up to his/her end of the bargain. With a properly structured deal, the risk is zero.

There are people so desparate to save $1 per point they'd send a complete stranger money with no confirmation of rental, no lease agreement/contract, and no real way to gaurentee that money wouldn't just disappear into the ether?

There might be those willing and able to conduct business that way, but I'd be loathe to do so. For an abundant number of reasons. Which means there is inherent risk.

As stated, not a problem.

It IS a problem. Unless you're willing to lease without a lease agreement/contract. I won't even comment on the "sense" of doing that.

No liability to the member. Disney holds its guests liable for their actions, not the member renting points.

They try to go after the guest first, though in reading the docs that I signed at membership, it doesn't appear they are OBLIGATED to do so. They seem to do that right now, but failing that, they go after the owner. You are ULTIMATELY responsible for your tenants actions. You may think the risk is negligable, so choose to undertake it, depending on the fact "Disney will go after the guest" and poo pooing the risk. Again, I have a less cavelier attitude and take that risk a bit more seriously. Like MS allowing 5 in most 1BR with a stated occupany of 4...I'm not willing to stake anything on Disney's "whim". I allow that the alternate perspective is equally as valid, and if it works for other...great. Not for me.

It's miscellaneous income. Put it on your 1040 and write a check at the end of the year.

As any good accountant or tax prep person will tell you, everyone's tax situation is different. For you, I'm sure it's that easy (as an aside, since I don't know your tax situation, I'd never offer advice as to what you SHOULD be doing), though I wonder if you're on the hook for any Florida state tax liability. For me, I know it wouldn't be that easy. How do I know? I talked to our accountant before we bought our membership and tried to cover as many bases as possible. To say it's that easy, while keeping in mind the MANY different tax situations (including AMT), is just much too nonchalant of an attitude, IMHO. The ramifications are just too specific to an individual or family's return.

All the same as making one's own arrangements. :confused3

No, it's not the same. Being someone else's travel agent, having no control over their "whims", "changes", questions, etc is nothing like "making one own's arrangements". When I make my own arrangments, I know my own parameters, and can make my OWN decisions as situations change or new info comes to light. You use the same tools, but the experience can be quite different. I'm sure it CAN be as easy as making your own arrangments. It can also be a gigantic hassle. Again, your cavelier attitude toward that process explains your POV.

I never said "everyone", just sensible people. :idea:

No, sensible people would allow there are varying POV's and situations, all equally as valid as their own.

Yes, it was very easy and quite frankly it has been very enjoyable. The full 320 points I got were rented in about 6 hours of my time all in one day. Is the process done, no. Am I acting as someones travel agent. Yes, by my own choosing and enjoyment. Helping a Disney fan like myself has turned out to be very enjoyable.

I'm glad it's working out for you.

The fact you're enjoying being someone else's travel agent is one of the fundamental differences in perspective here. I would view that as work.

You said it's taken about 6 hours of your time, so far. Any guesstimation on how much more you'll need to invest?

:rolleyes1 :rolleyes1
Come on guys this is suppose to be a DVC CR thread !!!
Keep getting my hopes up everytime this thread gets a post only to find the "kids " are quarreling again. Agree to not agree ok:teacher: .
Thanks
Hugs Mel:goodvibes

Keep getting my hopes up everytime this thread gets a post only to find the "kids " are quarreling again. Agree to not agree ok:teacher: .
Thanks

I'd be happy to do just that...in fact, I think ultimately that's been my point.

But you're right...back on topic.

If CRV gets done, we're in for at least 100 points, likely when they are first offered to DVC members.

Hmmmm what could I get for three DS-?-they are all hard workers and told me that they would take care of me in my senior years:lmao:

I really want DVC CR to happen --the childhood memories of going on the monorail through the CR :love: :cloud9: --I thought we'd become the "Jetsons"
So I'm in for points --just have to see a points chart first.
Hugs Mel

Thanks

Yes, please start a new thread on the renting issue or post to one of the hundreds of others that already exist. :flower3:

We're just trying to be optimistic here about the rumored, potential, maybe-gonna-happen, secretive-although-in-plain-sight, not-announced-yet, something-or-other that's happening steps away from the Magic Kingdom, CR construction that may or may not be DVC units eventually.

Still lobbying for a WEDway into Tomorrowland! :thumbsup2

Regards

Thanks

Amen here. If SOMEONE didn't feel the need to attack all of my posts whenever AKV is mentioned and always get the last word, it never would have happened in the first place.

I can't think of anytime Disney has ever been this far along with constructions without announcing what they are up to. Is there anything other than DVC that Disney could be building that they wouldn't announce?

Well, they have done it a bit lately with attractions.

When Eisner was in charge they let rumors run rampant. The 'net basically knew about things months before announcements were made.

Under Iger information has been more difficult to come by. Work had begun on attractions well before announcements were made. Take Toy Story Mania. "Millionaire" closed last August and shortly thereafter they started working on TSM. But the attraction wasn't "official" until the last wave of press events back in January or February of this year. The same thing was true with the new Nemo ride at Epcot and Monster's Inc.

I'm not sure why they would follow the same pattern with a hotel but time will tell... :)

Amen here. If SOMEONE didn't feel the need to attack all of my posts whenever AKV is mentioned and always get the last word, it never would have happened in the first place.

No one is attacking your posts, or seaking you out specifically. Please.....

It's an open forum..if you don't want to hear other's opinions, why enter into the conversation?

Sound more like "someone" has a persecution complex.

Now...back to the topic at hand.

Friends of mine are at WDW this week...they arrived on Friday. As has been reported by everyone known to man.....every CM they've talked to (they are very interested in DVC, so are asking lots of questions) is reporting the CR construction is DVC.

Granted, they could all be fueling those reports from the rumors here (and elsewhere), but it's still interesting to note.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter