DVC 1,000 Point Club (2024)

VDH and no VGC?

Why limit yourself my fellow Best Coast Lovers? Currently VDH is so much more chill. Also a good place to sabbatical during the hard goods upgrade this year. But come 2025, don't you wanna be part of the first to break in the new furniture at VGC.
There's many reasons....

We're fairly new to DVC.....VGC is sold out direct.

We've got 800+ points at VDH. If VGC was selling direct at the same price we bought in at VDH, we might have bought in there.....VDH is also nice and new, and VCG rooms are looking....well....old and busted. Even after the refresh, the rooms are still likely to be dark, and not very Disney (which is fine, but we like Disney). VDH rooms are very bright, lots of Disney. Our kids also love the pools better at DLH, and Trader Sam's is right there.

We typically go for 19-22 days a year to the DLR in a 1 or 2 BR. How many points/cost would that be resale at $350 (average) a point, vs what we bought in for at VDH to go that many days in a 1 or 2 BR villa.

TOT argument is meaningless to us. We were previously paying cash for 2 BR at the DLH and paying the TOT taxes there. TOT taxes at VDH are actually less than the TOT taxes on the same room at the DLH.

We're getting older and so are the kids, we want to travel now, not have to wait and buy contract after contract at VGC to get enough points that we need for 19-22 days a year at DLR in what would have to be a 1BR or smaller as we would not be able to buy as many points due to the higher resale cost per point.

We're watching the VDH resale as well, soon as it hits $150 a point we're jumping in to add on some more.

This May, we will be celebrating 12 years of DVC membership. When I look back, my only regret is not selecting Old Key West as my original home resort. At the time, Old Key West was selling for $100 a point and I did not know enough about the resort to factor it into my decision making. We have been fortunate to have several Old Key West stays over the years and the meals at Olivia's, t-shirt tie-dying, family photos in the community room photo booth, and splashes at the sandcastle pool are among my most cherished DVC memories.

I would love to hear about some of you use your points! Is it long stays, or frequent stays? Are you racking up points to treat WDW as a 2nd home for retirement? Do you do monthly payment dues or all in one swoop when due?

I would love to hear about some of you use your points! Is it long stays, or frequent stays? Are you racking up points to treat WDW as a 2nd home for retirement? Do you do monthly payment dues or all in one swoop when due?

We go on a fair number of trips (Aulani, WDW, and Disneyland) and frequently get larger villas or multiple villas to bring friends and family along. We had thought about getting a vacation home/condo but opted for this instead, which gives us so much more flexibility and makes it easier to invite whatever size group along that you want. We also rent out quite a few points through DVC Rental Store and have swapped them out for DCL, park tickets, hard ticket events, VIP tours, and ABD.

Longer term, yes we plan on using points to stay out Aulani or WDW for 1 month (or longer) stays during retirement and also plan on inviting kids/grandkids on regular trips after kids are grown. We can always sell down if we end up not needing as many points, but so far we're borrowing a whole lot more than banking.

For dues, I do usually opt for monthly but then end up just paying them off at the start of the year anyways to avoid having to track it and stay on top of it throughout the year. I pay all dues using gift cards from BJ's wholesale, which gives 5% off on top of credit card points/perks.

We are from the UK, so tend to visit for 2 or 3 weeks at a time, in 2br or 3br villas, so it eats up 1000 points rather quickly!

Hopefully when retirement comes (fingers crossed less than 20 years away) we will be able to stretch those points to a couple of months in smaller accommodation.

We pay the dues in one go at the start of the year on the credit card to get our Avios points and BA companion vouchers so we can get ‘free’ flights over there!

I wonder how much movement we’ll see in the list and how much more popular OKW becomes due to the current sale. VDH is also cheaper than initial offer at some price points based on my calculations. Crazy times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter