Drills and Chills - October 2023 Exercise Thread

PollyannaMom

I was a click-clack champ!!
Welcome to the October 2023 exercise thread! To keep our exercise "drills" from getting boring, we'll explore some Disney "chills & thrills" as we post our minutes, taking a look at Disney's Halloween movies over the years (source: https://disneyadulting.com/disney-halloween-movies/)

If you’re returning, we’re excited to have you back! :cheer2: If you’re new, :welcome:to the team! Here’s how it works:

Each person chooses a time goal and posts minutes towards that goal as they exercise. You can post daily or just catch up when you can. You decide what movement counts towards your goal - which can be a nice round total for the month, a specific number that means something to you, or a calculation based on a target number of minutes per day. Since October has 31 days, here are some common conversions:

15 minutes/day = 465
20 minutes/day = 620
30 minutes/day = 930
45 minutes/day = 1395
1 hour/day = 1860

One of the special motivations of our Disney challenge is color changing! Page one will be updated with individual and team color changes as we make more and more progress:

10% - Ghostly Mist Blue
25% - Jack-o'-lantern Orange
50% - Costume Party Purple
75% - Cotten Candy Pink
90% - Creepy Blood Red
100% - Grinning Goblin Green

We’re officially starting this challenge on October 1st, but if you don’t find the thread until later in the month, you’re still welcome to join! There's no better time than the present to start toward your goals!! Just post your goal and I’ll add you to the list. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and to check out old threads to see what’s been going on.

Participants:
PollyannaMom - 580/500
Twilight Sparkle - 3192/2400
ShannyMcB - 349/345

BonnieF - 280/500

sophy1996 - 1090/1200
CarolineBowmanFan37 - 6400/5000
Oneanne - 415/1395
ElizabethSmith - 500/500
livih99 - 415/600
---------------------------------------
Team Total - 13,221/12,440 - 106%

Last edited:
Hey Team! I'm back! Long story short: got sick on my last Disney trip and was either sick or on antibiotics for all of September. :o But it's October now! I'm excited to go for 400 minutes, again I'm going to break that into 4 100 minute weeks and I'm hoping not to need any minutes from my "surprise!" Halloween trip at the end of the month.

Starting today off with 25 minutes of walking around our county fair where I saw a few Disney Halloween spirit jerseys and a lounge fly backpack. :)

Raya - 25/400
week 1: 25/100

Hello! Giving this a go again! This month my employer is doing a step challenge and we can "donate" our steps, convert them to a monetary value, and the company donates to one of 6 different organizations. To that effect I need to get my butt moving. Going to add some time to last month's goal.
Aiming for 345 minutes this month!
0/345

Happy October! You guys are the push I need to get moving again - so I'll jump in for 500 minutes this month. I got a good start on the month today - 45 minutes at the beach! It's such a gorgeous day - we just kept going! All that sunshine and the smell of the ocean - just my idea of heaven! Locals summer at its best!
I've not seen the changeover to Halloween - but we've been there for Halloween to Christmas and it's mind boggling! How do they get everything down, and everything up???? Over night??? A total wow! I'm hoping to see it again this year.
@Raya - I'll be there the end of October, too - it's my Food and Wine time!

45/500

I’m in for 1200 this month. Here are a few photos of Halloweentime at DLR (from our just-finished trip and past trips). We took the Happiest Haunts tour and one of the facts they gave us is that Main St displays more than 300 Jack o’ lanterns, made by CMs who volunteer to carve them! (I had thought they were plastic!)

IMG_2375.jpeg
IMG_2369.jpeg

Carthay is lit up for Oogie Boogie and DCA has lots of purple lights

IMG_2441.jpeg

And Cars Land is lots of fun

IMG_8170.jpegIMG_8167.jpeg
IMG_2447.jpeg

The GCH always has an incredible display, which was a Coco scene this year:

IMG_2360.jpeg

Last edited:

Good Morning, all!

20 minutes for me last night, and lots of great numbers already coming in - the team is at 585 minutes and 5% of goal after only one day!!
:cheer2: :cheer2::cheer2:

Starting with the first movie on the list:
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad - released October 5, 1949

Disney-Halloween-Movies-1.png

"The Adventures Of Ichabod And Mr. Toad is a classic film created by Walt Disney himself. There are two parts to the film, one part features Mr. Toad and the other part features Ichabod Crane." - That's the part that gets it put on the Halloween list, as it's based on Washington Irving's Legend of Sleepy Hollow story and features Ichabod vs. the Headless Horseman.

The full version is on Disney+ of course, but here's a 3-minute clip from the Disney film:

and another about the same length on the legend from National Geographic:

I'm in for 1395 this month.
I don't decorate for specifically Halloween, but do for autumn and this past weekend made the trip to the fancy pumpkin farm to pick up the goods for this year. They've got so much to choose from it is really overwhelming, but I did manage to put together a nice stack with some of what I brought home.

1696259257392.png

Good Morning and congrats to our first color changers - BonnieF & Twilight Sparkle!!! :jumping3::cheer2::jumping3:

The next movie on the list is Escape to Witch Mountain, released on March 21, 1975. - I'm not really sure why it's included as a Halloween movie, other than the kids are labeled "witches", but I love the film, so I'm going with it!

1696338186066.png
"Tony and Tia Malone are two orphaned siblings with extraordinary psychic powers. When their abilities attract the attention of a cruel millionaire, Aristotle Bolt, he kidnaps them with plans to exploit their powers for financial gain. Tony and Tia escape, and with the help of Jason O’Day, a bitter widower camping in a nearby Winnebago, they attempt to elude Bolt and begin to discover their otherworldly origins."

This movie has had several sequels, remakes, etc. ~

Return from Witch Mountain (1978) - sequel with same main characters/actors (now older) vs. a new villain

Beyond Witch Mountain (1982) - an alternate made-for-TV sequel - the kids (now younger again, and played by different actors) come back from Witch Mountain to find and bring another boy like them home. (I wonder if maybe there were hopes to turn this into a series, but it never happened??*)

Disney's Escape to Witch Mountain (1995) - TV remake of original, new actors & character names, slightly different plot (started earlier instead of relying on flashbacks, the kids were separated as babies...) - aired as part of The Magical World of Disney.

Race to Witch Mountain (2009) - new character names again, new actors (obviously...though the actors who played the two original kids do appear in other roles! 😉 ) - This is the one where "The Rock" plays the guy who helps them.

And there is also a book by Alexander Key:
https://www.goodreads.com/series/86454-witch-mountain
(The original book was published before the movie, but this edition has the "movie cover".)

* Haven't found much from then (other than someone calling it "a proposed TV pilot") but it looks there is a TV series in the works now (probably delayed by the strikes) that looks a bit darker:
https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/wi...ney-plus-cast-bryce-dallas-howard-1235457839/

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter