Does your child receive ABA services?

Does your child receive ABA services?

• Yes

• No

• My child received it in the past, but not anymore

Results are only viewable after voting.
You are very lucky! Was Dr. Carbone there as well? He is a very nice & smart man-I've attended several of his trainings and talks and we also actually took a related workshop together at a conference! I've had several clients travel to his clinic for evals and they were very satisfied with his services.:)

I don't think he came, I believe it was two women. My DD20 did the brochure for the training, and my DH attended, so one of them would have that information. I'll have to see what I can find out! The feedback we got was very positive!! :thumbsup2

My daughter finished her masters and just passed her certification for ABA. She worked for the past three years at a private school for autistic children in MA and now is in Chicago. The services she has found in Chicago are really lacking as well as funding available for parents. One family she works with has three autistic children and had to second-mortgage their home to pay for services- something she feels strongly should never have happened. No one should be forced to give up their life savings or put their home in jeopardy for services that should be provided for these children via insurance or a state subsidy, etc. I'm with her on that- there should be funding for a service that has already been proven to be beneficial.- Kathy

My daughter finished her masters and just passed her certification for ABA. She worked for the past three years at a private school for autistic children in MA and now is in Chicago. The services she has found in Chicago are really lacking as well as funding available for parents. One family she works with has three autistic children and had to second-mortgage their home to pay for services- something she feels strongly should never have happened. No one should be forced to give up their life savings or put their home in jeopardy for services that should be provided for these children via insurance or a state subsidy, etc. I'm with her on that- there should be funding for a service that has already been proven to be beneficial.- Kathy

That is really sad. There should be support available to everyone who needs it. If they can't afford the services they should at the very least be able to get someone to teach the parents how to do it.

Congratulations to your daughter-that is a very difficult certification exam! :thumbsup2

Do you mind if I ask which school in MA she worked for? We have quite a few really nice ones.

I totally agree about health insurance paying for services. I have been signing petitions for years on this. I keep hearing that insurance companies are refusing because it is "educational" and not "therapeutic." I disagree with this. I don't understand why insurance companies will pay for speech pathologists and not ABA consultants when we teach language as well? and why insurance will pay for psychologists but not us when we treat behavior? Makes no sense to me. When I was doing home-based work, I offered a sliding scale for families who were struggling financially. I could only offer this for a certain amount of families because I had to have enough money to pay my own bills. In the district I currently work for, we honor school-based ABA services in IEP's for children with autism (obviously free of charge). It does not seem fair to me that a child should lose out on effective services simply because they are not affluent.:sad1:

HI - I just wanted to chime in that ABA has 20+ years of scientifically evidence based peer-reviewed research - documenting its real success. The only scientifically replicatable...and proven method to significantly improve the functioning of autistic children. It absolutely was the foundation of my son's programming, and I credit it for the majority of his progress.

If implemented properly with trained staff, it is the only known method out there that has 20+ years of research behind it. Other techniques are fairly young in comparison. More great reading about ABA can be found here.
One of the first books I read, and could utilize immediately - a story about a real mom who employed ABA. http://www.amazon.com/Behavioral-Intervention-Young-Children-Autism/dp/0890796831

I've also be around long enough to know that some are ready in their journey to talk about this stuff, and others are heavily invested in other techniques.

Many parents become very very emotionally invested in helping their child so its hard to talk about new techniques when you are so invested in others.

I've been in enough of these discussions to know the politics of this topic is and can become highly charged. Lets keep this discussion positive. Our children benefit by knowledge sharing...We need more of that, and less of dismissing people who are trying so hard to help their children.

Another great read on this topic read - "Let me hear your voice" by Catherine Maurice.
http://www.behavior.org/autism/catherine_maurice.pdf

Peace :hippie:

It is offered where we live, but on a very limited basis usually only for severe cases of Autism. No ABA schools, no private consultants, etc..

ABA is not only for the severly affected. Its too bad your state doesnt recognize that. However many states do not. Until INsurance companies recognize autism as a medical condition instead of a mental illness (which it is not) - you will continue to see the patchwork quilt of services of the US - due to insurance coverage loopholes.

Its clear our nations priorities are fouled up. This makes me so sad to hear.:sad2:

I work with preschoolers as their SLP and I have mixed feelings about ABA. We do have it available in our area through a university and kids are making gains. I really believe that with young children there should also be some type of play based intervention (think Greenspan), or you miss out on a great pragmatic opportunity at an early age.

I have a friend that has an 8 yo DD with autism and is using ABA. They are thrilled with the results, however, they are now looking for more play based opportunities because her pragmatic skills are lacking more and more as she gets older. She is rarely engaged with others and has a very flat affect. So I think ABA is a good option, but not the only one that should be used.

Interesting angle. I dont think anyone is suggesting you lock a child up in a room with an ABA therapist for 40 + hours a week. A nice quote excerpted for your reading pleasure
"... For instance, one of the underlying assumptions of ABA is that scientific research, with its emphasis on that which can be observed and measured, can yield reliably objective information about phenomena. On the other hand, statements about feelings, thoughts, and emotions do not lend themselves readily to verification or confirmation."

In other words all human behavior can be measured and progress tracked...that includes social skills. ABA is not turning kids into robotic complaince drones...if done correctly is definitely not a negative experience ....if done well it is very motivating, very reinforcing, and very positive. Anyone who says differently isnt up to snuff on their skills.

IN sum - you can use ABA for play skills, for emotional reciprocity, for any human behavior. That is why it is so powerful.

Interesting angle. I dont think anyone is suggesting you lock a child up in a room with an ABA therapist for 40 + hours a week. A nice quote excerpted for your reading pleasure
"... For instance, one of the underlying assumptions of ABA is that scientific research, with its emphasis on that which can be observed and measured, can yield reliably objective information about phenomena. On the other hand, statements about feelings, thoughts, and emotions do not lend themselves readily to verification or confirmation."

In other words all human behavior can be measured and progress tracked...that includes social skills. ABA is not turning kids into robotic complaince drones...if done correctly is definitely not a negative experience ....if done well it is very motivating, very reinforcing, and very positive. Anyone who says differently isnt up to snuff on their skills.

IN sum - you can use ABA for play skills, for emotional reciprocity, for any human behavior. That is why it is so powerful.

I never said anyone would "lock a child up in a room with an ABA therapist for 40 + hours a week, " nor did I say that ABA is turning kids into "robotic drones." (your words- NOT mine.) In fact I did not say anything negative at all- I have seen good progress with ABA. I DID say that in my professional opinion, play based therapy should go along with ABA for young children.

I never said anyone would "lock a child up in a room with an ABA therapist for 40 + hours a week, " nor did I say that ABA is turning kids into "robotic drones." (your words- NOT mine.) In fact I did not say anything negative at all- I have seen good progress with ABA. I DID say that in my professional opinion, play based therapy should go along with ABA for young children.

I think those quotes are common myths of ABA. I will say that ABA utilizes alot of effective technique to teach play skills. Some people think that ABA is all tabletop work, but that is actually not the case. While there are certain skills that are taught in a tabletop setting, play based skills are generally taught on the floor, or in natural play-related settings. We make sure that they child can generalize his/her skills across location, setting, materials, and people. We teach parallel play, cooperative play, and independent play skills.

One great behavioral technique I am currently using to teach dramatic play with vocal behavior is called "video modeling"-very effective way to teach play and social skills!:thumbsup2

Aaactually what I said was - "I dont think anyone is suggesting you lock a child up in a room with an ABA therapist for 40 + hours a week." So .. I was just trying to convey my point - sorry if I wasnt astute enough to pick up on your message...which was that I think - ABA is a therapy which cannot promote social/play skills. Which I think is not entirely true. Sorry If that was taken the wrong way.

Greenspan has some great ideas, however the science isnt behind that therapy yet.
The clock is ticking for these kids - no time to waste.

I just wanted to point out - on the 'professional' comment - I hope you will forgive me saying this but - although I hold no piece of paper with a certification, 8+ years of working with my child around the clock definitely puts me as at least *as* well read - if not *more* well read than most professionals Ive encountered. But Again - sorry to offend.

I think those quotes are common myths of ABA. I will say that ABA utilizes alot of effective technique to teach play skills. Some people think that ABA is all tabletop work, but that is actually not the case. While there are certain skills that are taught in a tabletop setting, play based skills are generally taught on the floor, or in natural play-related settings. We make sure that they child can generalize his/her skills across location, setting, materials, and people. We teach parallel play, cooperative play, and independent play skills.

One great behavioral technique I am currently using to teach dramatic play with vocal behavior is called "video modeling"-very effective way to teach play and social skills!:thumbsup2

Exactly - you said it much more eloquently than I Perla - thanks for your description. That is what I was trying to say. I dont understand when people say that supplementation is necessary, because my point is that ABA can be used for play skills. I just meant that when people generally think of ABA they think of Lovaas...early techniques...exclusively tabletime, and that is not how it works at all anymore. Sorry If I ruffled any feathers.

Exactly - you said it much more eloquently than I Perla - thanks for your description. That is what I was trying to say. I dont understand when people say that supplementation is necessary, because my point is that ABA can be used for play skills. I just meant that when people generally think of ABA they think of Lovaas...early techniques...exclusively tabletime, and that is not how it works at all anymore. Sorry If I ruffled any feathers.

What I'm learning is ABA is clearly a controversial topic. :confused3

I think that ABA is a system to change behavior at its core. Most Thoughtful clinicians and educators quickly recognized that that in unto itself is of very limited value so most training structures and individual adaptations include adjusts that include several other therapies including social skill, TOM and EF support.

Most effective clinician only do core ABA as a small percentage of their ABA time, but use the ABA “cover” to make it acceptable to the bean counters, instead they us the above adjuncts to make broader progress.

The real issue is that a lot of inexperienced or inadequately educated educators and clinicians use core ABA as an exclusive or primary therapy instead of using it as in entry point for broader programs.

bookwormde

Perla, I went to the Carbone Clinic's website you referenced. I saw a brief video of a therapist and child using "intensive" ABA, and then one of "natural environment" ABA. The intensive one was hard to watch. The therapist was going so fast, it made me crazy just watching it. The natural environment seemed like the Floortime strategies we use with Zoe. I could easily relate to it.

I asked Zoe's teacher about ABA, and she said they incorporate natural environment to a certain extent.

How does the therapist decide which approach to take between the 2? Does it depend on where the child ranges on the spectrum? Thanks for all the info you've given so far.

just chiming in here - my 2 1/2 son began the early intervention program here on Long Island, NY in January. He was diagnosed with PDD in May. From May til now, he has received ABA and it is totally free - we didn't even have insurance for him for a while there. Thank God we live here where the services are all free...I don't know what I would do if they weren't. He has come a long way since beginning ABA...I am so proud of him and I am someone who 6 months ago never even heard of ABA but now I am a firm believer that this method accomplishes what it sets out to do. My son is mild-moderate. Quite a character, too!:cool2:

just chiming in here - my 2 1/2 son began the early intervention program here on Long Island, NY in January. He was diagnosed with PDD in May. From May til now, he has received ABA and it is totally free - we didn't even have insurance for him for a while there. Thank God we live here where the services are all free...I don't know what I would do if they weren't. He has come a long way since beginning ABA...I am so proud of him and I am someone who 6 months ago never even heard of ABA but now I am a firm believer that this method accomplishes what it sets out to do. My son is mild-moderate. Quite a character, too!:cool2:

Welcome - i just wanted to say that first year is so hard.
We used ABA which worked wonders. I was so very sad during that first year and just wanted to say that it does get better -it sounds like you are right on top of things, and hang in there.
:grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter