Does anyone still play board games? Have board games gotten too big and complicated?

Ever since getting into sci fi a decade ago I thought it would be cool if there was a space adventure board game where players got to control a spaceship crew and go on adventures on different planets as part of a engaging story with decisions that affect the outcome of the story but have it be much more accessible than D&D so casual board game players can enjoy it too so it can be a great way to introduce more people to Mass Effect or the space opera genre.

And it looks like we are finally getting stuff like that.

https://www.polygon.com/tabletop-games/24090070/mass-effect-board-game-release-date-price

And there are more games like that in other genres.

Have board games become too big or complicated?

Or have they become better?

We love board games and play often when we get together with friends and family. My son watched Wil Wheaton's TableTop Youtube channel, we tried all kinds of new games. Some were winners, some were not! LOL

New games have the tendency to be overly complicated, but overall they are better in my opinion because they are more challenging and more interesting.

We would have marathon games of Risk, but Axis and Allies was too much for me.

Honestly I’m more of the Candyland, Chutes and Ladders, and Connect 4 kind of person. I enjoy games like Ticket to Ride and Haunted Mansion, but games are becoming too long and too complicated.

Honestly I’m more of the Candyland, Chutes and Ladders, and Connect 4 kind of person. I enjoy games like Ticket to Ride and Haunted Mansion, but games are becoming too long and too complicated.
We played those candy land etc with grandkids. Also sorry and trouble. Game of life, and monopoly. But that seems to stop about age 12. As a kid myself, we used to have monopoly games last for days.

We play board games.
DGS loves them and is very good at them.
Clue, Monopoly, Ticket to Ride (one of my favorites), chess, and on and on. He does do computer games too (he's 7).
I play a lot of Ticket to Ride on my tablets. Easy to carry around and always another player.
But we do board games a lot with all the family.

We play boardgames when we are with extended family members. Code Names, Ticket to Ride, Scattergories, and Pictionary are regular favorites.

We also love cards. Euchre by far is the winner in that category.

I generally don’t have the patience to play board games. However, I would make the exception for Scattergories, I love playing that. Unfortunately nobody will play with me. Our social group usually just plays Mexican train dominos or card games.

We got Abducktion for Christmas this year. Not big or complicated. Exploding Kittens is another quick game.

We play them. Favorites include Setters of Catan, Scrabble, Risk, Mexican Train (domino game), and Ticket to Ride. We have dozens and have game night every so often. We used to host one every week but that fell by the wayside during COVID and we haven't picked it back up. My family is very competitive so games like Settlers of Catan and Risk can be kind of hilarious unless I am the one who gets upset.

We also play card games. Hearts, Exploding Kittens, Uno, poker, rummy, etc.

We occasionally play basic board games - we have Clue, Monopoly, Life, Battleship - the bit long ones are too much for me.

At family gatherings, we are pretty cutthroat at playing UNO.

We play a lot of games when the family is together or as couples. Not necessarily Board games although we do like Life, Clue and Monopoly. We play Taboo, Scattergories, Balderdash, Apples to Apples. Also Card games like Pit, Skip-Bo, Uno. Other favorites are Left-Right-Center (Dice Game) and Mexican Train (Dominos)

I can never find anyone to play with. I don't like super complicated games, but I don't mind a small learning curve. The problem is all of the "board game people" tha tI know seem to play a gam once then move on to something new. I want to keep playing, jsut to understand the thing! That's why I prefer the classics - Monopoly, etc. but it seems that nobody plays those. I did pick up the Space Mountain game on clearance for like 9 bucks, but I doubt I'll ever actually get to play it with anybody.

We play a lot on Sunday evenings in the winter. Its a good time to make sure my DD(13) has put her screen down and for us to have family time. We still play basic games like Trouble, Sorry, etc. We also try new games from time to time... I'm the one that usually demands we play :) and I tend to like card games better so we do a lot of those.... Uno, Phase 10, Spoons, etc.

When we go visit my family, we take a lot of games with us. There we mostly play Spoons, Tenzi (dice game), and Phase 10. This past weekend we did a lot of Just Dance via the Nintento Switch on the TV, also lots of fun :)

We play a lot of games when the family is together or as couples. Not necessarily Board games although we do like Life, Clue and Monopoly. We play Taboo, Scattergories, Balderdash, Apples to Apples. Also Card games like Pit, Skip-Bo, Uno. Other favorites are Left-Right-Center (Dice Game) and Mexican Train (Dominos)
Pit, Apples-to-Apples and Pictionary are some of my favorites for a really good laugh together.

EYA: Yes, I do think a lot of them require too much learning of complex rules before you can begin - for me, anyway. I wouldn't be opposed to learning one or two if someone, who already knows, could show me, though.

Last edited:
Some are definitely very complicated. We have a few we have purchased and started to learn the rules and given up.

Big games in this house are: taco, cat, goat, cheese, pizza, slapwich, ticket to ride, all versions of settlers of catan, terra mystica (one of the more complicated ones but good when you figure it out)

Unfortunately, no I don't play them anymore.

We used to play war based board games almost daily on our front porches in the neighborhood (Risk, Axis and Allies, Diplomacy, Stratego). Of course, that was when arcades were in full bloom too. Now it seems these once in-person, social gatherings have vanished.

Unfortunately, no I don't play them anymore.

We used to play war based board games almost daily on our front porches in the neighborhood (Risk, Axis and Allies, Diplomacy, Stratego). Of course, that was when arcades were in full bloom too. Now it seems these once in-person, social gatherings have vanished.

Oh, I don't know about that. My local comic book shop, well, it's really more of a game shop now, hosts board game nights every Saturday (and Friday night Magic), and it is always packed. Again, for me, those folks are always moving on to new games, with barely any time to learn. They love those very complicated ones.

I'm a big fan of simpler games that you can finish in under an hour and understand the rules after one round. Our latest purchase (at the request of the kids) was Root. A game takes us about two hours to complete and I still don't fully understand it after playing it 4 times. (Each faction has different rules and objectives.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter