Do you need to maintain 150 DVC pts to have the blue card?

Our 1st contract was for 190 points resale for OKW bought in 2007.Besides loving OKW we are grandfathered perks until 2042.No matter any changes they throw into membership.

Your're right. Grandfathering always happened in the past, but it's not a guarantee for the future.
Nothing stops Disney to terminate the Membership Magic program, start a new program called Magic Membership and require that everyone now need 200 direct points.
I doubt they would cancel grandfathering and just keep it as is same as if you bought resale before the restrictions and still can use those points at any resort. But as you state there is no guarantee.

I doubt they would cancel grandfathering and just keep it as is same as if you bought resale before the restrictions and still can use those points at any resort. But as you state there is no guarantee.
Actually there is, they are bound to accept the contract you bought when you bought it.

Actually there is, they are bound to accept the contract you bought when you bought it.

Not for perks. As mentioned, they can change the terms, call it something else and make the eligibility different.

IMO, the POS is pretty clear that perks ar incidental benefits. They are not part of what you buy.

I'm wondering about 2 scenerios. Any insight you all may have would be very much appreciated.

1) I have 150 direct dvc pts and blue card privileges. After 5 years, I sell 50 pts. Have I lost my blue card because I no longer have 150 pts?

2) My kids each inherit a 75 pt contract, splitting my original 150 pt contract. Do they have the blue card privileges of the original contract or do they lose them because they are below 150 pt threshold?

Thanks!
If your 150 points were a single purchase, you can only sell 150. You cannot break it up. Same with trying to give each kid 75 points if you have one 150 or three 50 point contracts. You cannot split a contract.

As a follow up, I have a 250 direct contract that expires in 2042. If I add on 25 (or 50) more direct points at a resort that expires 2060+, will I still have a blue card after 2042? (assuming title, UY, etc are the same as the contract I bought back in 2000)

As a follow up, I have a 250 direct contract that expires in 2042. If I add on 25 (or 50) more direct points at a resort that expires 2060+, will I still have a blue card after 2042? (assuming title, UY, etc are the same as the contract I bought back in 2000)
No. Your blue card would expire as of 2042. As if today, you need to purchase 150 direct points - total - in order to maintain blue card status. When your ownership drops to 25 or 50 direct points, you no longer own enough points.

My guess it’s just like selling. The add on is direct but not the contract giving the blue card status. Once the qualified contract expires. so does the blue card.

I have 100 point direct contract that qualified for benefits. If I buy another 150 point direct contract would I then have two qualified contracts grandfathered in under the terms of today? If yes and I sell or transfer one contract down the road and the minimum is 200 would I still qualify for benefits?

I have 100 point direct contract that qualified for benefits. If I buy another 150 point direct contract would I then have two qualified contracts grandfathered in under the terms of today? If yes and I sell or transfer one contract down the road and the minimum is 200 would I still qualify for benefits?
Yes. They each maintain their own blue card status from agreement contract at time of purchase.

Yes. They each maintain their own blue card status from agreement contract at time of purchase.
Same question, different specifics:

I currently own a direct 75 pt contract (grandfathered)
If I buy another 125 pt direct, which can I sell in the future and still maintain membership? Only the 125? Neither? If neither, would it be beneficial to split the 125 into 75/50 in order to sell the 50? Granted, as soon as they raise the min, that would be obsolete..

Same question, different specifics:

I currently own a direct 75 pt contract (grandfathered)
If I buy another 125 pt direct, which can I sell in the future and still maintain membership? Only the 125? Neither? If neither, would it be beneficial to split the 125 into 75/50 in order to sell the 50? Granted, as soon as they raise the min, that would be obsolete..
The 75 point grandfathered contract has the blue card privileges. As long as you hold onto that one you keep those privileges. New Contracts would have to add up to 150 points direct to have blue card rights if you sell the 75 point grandfathered contract.

Does anyone know what happens in this scenario? We are "grandfathered"-we have 100 points direct, and all the others were bought resale, but all before this blue card/status/no status stuff happened. What would happen to my status if I sold that 100 point direct contract today? Could they drop my grandfathered status, treat me as a "new member" with all resale points, therefore no discounts?

The 75 point grandfathered contract has the blue card privileges. As long as you hold onto that one you keep those privileges. New Contracts would have to add up to 150 points direct to have blue card rights if you sell the 75 point grandfathered contract.
That's what I figured, but wanted to make sure - thank you so much! Seems odd that I could sell the higher one and still keep the benefits, but it is what it is

Does anyone know what happens in this scenario? We are "grandfathered"-we have 100 points direct, and all the others were bought resale, but all before this blue card/status/no status stuff happened. What would happen to my status if I sold that 100 point direct contract today? Could they drop my grandfathered status, treat me as a "new member" with all resale points, therefore no discounts?
It sounds like all of your contracts are grandfathered. You should be able to keep any one of them and maintain your status.

If your resales were purchased prior to April 2016, then they qualify as grandfathered blue card contacts. You could sell the direct contract and still have a blue card. Any contracts purchased resale after 04/2016 would not qualify.

That's what I figured, but wanted to make sure - thank you so much! Seems odd that I could sell the higher one and still keep the benefits, but it is what it is

It is based on when the contract was purchased that determines the eligibility.. So, when you purchased the 75 point contract, that contract made you eligible for the perks.

The contract you would be purchasing now, which is 125, is not eligible for perks because the threshold is 150.

OK let me throw my hat in the ring haha. I recently purchased 300 direct points at Riviera split into 2 150 point contracts. Which one qualifies me for the blue card or do they both need to be maintained?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter