Do you have a "theme" to your pin collection?

My DS,DH and I all have certain characters we prefer. DS pooh (and friends) and Star Wars Hubby Haunted mansion and NBC Me, Tink and Alice -no CHesire cats PLEASE!! Other than that we look for CM pins collectively that go onto a family page and we try to get a pin at every different resort we stay at (along with a shot glass-my other addiction, yeah- i know- join the club!) We pretty much try to stick to these although we like to get special commemerative pins for event we go to as well. Which is why as far as characters we try to stick with just a few. But since we all like different ones we have quite a diverse collection as a family. Once we find pins we KNOW we don't want to trade they are immediately retired from our lanyards.
...t.

We just started our sick pin trading habit. After a couple of days of buying pins, I noticed I had mostly Mickey. Not by design, just what I liked. When I began to trade, I discovered characters in airplanes! All sorts! Being in the aviation industry, I recklessly began to trade for aviation pins when I saw them. Now I have Minnie in a seaplane, Donald in a biplane, Goofy in a barnstormer and Mickey in a jumbo jet! I found a pair of Mickey wings, too.

My daughters like the hidden mickey cast pins.

Do any of you post pictures of your favorite pins on photobucket?

:sunny:

My pin collection is really simple ! Nightmare Before Christmas with an emphasis on Jack ! I have some of the collections and the best part is I wear ALL of them on a black striped vest ! LOL its fun walking around the park wearing just over 80 NBC pins LOL I get stopped more by cast members than guest ! Gotta love the addiction of pins !
BTW first or hopefully many posts to come.
Tony B. :thumbsup2

When I first started collecting pins in 2000 my theme was "I have to have every pin that is releasedin WDW" Now I have almost every pin released from 2000 to 2004 and am trying to sell them off.
I am tryng to keep my Mickey pins but the rest of them have to go, I just don't have any more room.
I did try to have major themes like Patriotic, Figment, Fab 5 sets, Mickey and Minnie together, All the space themed character pins, Walt pins. But then every pin seemed to fit into 2 or more themes so I tried to cut them down more without any luck.
I also collect snowglobes and have over 150 so the pins have to go.
Peggie

We have collected/traded for a few years now. Started out anything and everything that appealed to us, we shortly realized that we needed to slim down and be more specific. Here is what we collect

DW: Figment, Beauty and the Beast, Mr. Toad

Me: Alice in Wonderland, Tiki's, NBC

We do have two boards set up mapped out by park with some of our favorite pins of the different rides.

I'm certainly no pro. I don't really "collect" them - I just have about 20 or so in my stash.

I try to only buy ones of characters dressed as something else. For instance, I have Minnie dressed as Tinkerbell, Mickey as a pirate, Donald in a Mickey Mouse costume. They're cute. They kept me entertained when I bought them. :goodvibes

DD9 just started collecting and I am "helping" her by doing my own collecting. She concentrates on Chip and Dale, Mulan, Star Wars and any pins that strike her fancy. I only collect Cruella. That is my money saving strategy, like that works. :rotfl2:

Welcome to the DIS Tony... I would have to say my collection has evolved in to what catches my eye and maybe a few themes along the lines of Disneyana and older ones.

Well-If you can tell I collect Bambi!

But I also do pins for favorite rides, resorts we have stayed in, holidays we were there, etc.

DD collect what they like.

So it doesn't matter-it's all up to you!!!

I collect Figment, the fairies (not tink, except a few), Jiminy, Dumbo, Eeyore, Bambi, the 4 parks, the resorts I have stayed in and anything else that catches my fancy. LOL:rotfl2: I started collecting buttons when I was in my teens (currently I am 60). I then switched to pins about 25 years ago. I have a few pins from the early 80's from DL (that are not worth that much) but I didn't start collecting until 2000. Now I have over 1,000 keepers & over 1,000 traders & I have narrowed my wants down to 400. :)
So really no theme, just pins I like or pins that mean something to me. Penny :hippie:

No themes really... we just get what we like. Our pin buying and trading does focus on a few things, we like to buy:

1. Pins of the year we visit WDW
2. Princesses mostly Belle and Ariel
3. Dumbo
4. Jessica Rabbit

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

1 - Alice in Wonderland. Any and every character, I love them all.

2 - Maleficent. My fav villain. Especially the ones of her in dragon form. **swoons**

3 - Chip n' Dale... but only the ones with food. I've gone to the FWF the past 2 years and have CD pins from those and want all the HM food ones to make a cool shadowbox collection. I'm a big foodie.

4 - Figment - I only have around 5 or so, but I've loved him since childhood.

5 - I have 3 sets. I have 2 princess ones. The rear view mirror ones, and the quote ones. I just thought they were cute - so I collected them all. I also have a villain 'spellbook' set. Totally love it.

6 - AND anything else that sparks me. Some pooh (meaning the 100 acre gang), some Mulan, some Jane (from Tarzan), a few Belle, some of the 'cuties' of the fab 5, some of my favorite rides, oh and anything that has a smart a$$ comment on it that made me giggle the first time I read it. :laughing: But really I could go on and on and on... I think I have at least 250 pins, give or take a few. Only been collecting for about 9 months - hehe

:wizard:

I have a collection of the Disney nametag pins. Not actual park nametags, but they look like them, just smaller. They have characters names on them, like MICKEY, MINNIE, FIGMENT, SIMBA, etc. (They are cast member pins). Also character pins that look like cast member ID cards.

I sold most of my other pins.

I kept all the pins they gave us when I worked at The Disney Store, they hold very special meaning to me.

I have two major themes. Disney/Star Wars crossover pins, especially Mickey and Sleeping Beauty pins with a major emphasis on Aurora. I also have a few pins from Disneyland's 50th anniversary, some American history pins, and at least one pin to commemorate every visit.

Chip and Dale have managed to become a sub theme since they appear in a few of those above mentioned themes. Well that and they harass me when they're not on my lanyard in the parks. Dale was very happy last time to see that he and Chip were on my lanyard as ewoks.

I never set out to collect a certain type, but I just gravitated towards certain ones.
  1. MVMCP
  2. Haunted Mansion
  3. Monorail
  4. Sleeping Beauty
  5. Splash Mountain

When I trade pins with CMs, I don't really follow any theme. If it's big and shiny, I want it. :laughing:

When I buy pins, I do gravitate towards a few themes:

1. Jessica Rabbit
2. PotC
3. Epcot (with an emphasis on Figment)
4. Attractions and Resorts
5. Older or lesser-known Disney movies (Pete's Dragon, TRON, Atlantis, Meet the Robinsons, etc.)

But I'll buy anything that sparks my interest. :)

Lets see-

My collections from largest to smallest-
Memories (things Ive done, seen, experianced)
Minnie dressed up (as princesses, villians etc)
Lilo (by herself- though some stitch has joined)
Summer (pails, trees, beach, flip flops etc)
Monorails
Wilderness Lodge/Fort Wilderness
Americana
Where Dreams Come True/Year of a Million
Tarzan
Small World
Bottle caps
Fantasmic/Sorcerer Mickey
Piece of History
Bear in the Big Blue House

and the category that is destined to happen sooner than later- Shiny/Sparkly

and that doesnt include collections less than 10 pins...

-em

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter