Do resorts grant requests of a two bed room for two guests?

StarLime

Earning My Ears
I have an upcoming stay at the Yacht club with my brother. While making my reservation, it didn’t give me the option to choose how many beds I wanted like some other resorts do. While reading reviews of this resort, some say that they automatically default to a 1 king bed if there are only 2 guests. I called after booking to request a 2 bed room and they said they would make a note of that. Are they usually accommodating of this request?

I have an upcoming stay at the Yacht club with my brother. While making my reservation, it didn’t give me the option to choose how many beds I wanted like some other resorts do. While reading reviews of this resort, some say that they automatically default to a 1 king bed if there are only 2 guests. I called after booking to request a 2 bed room and they said they would make a note of that. Are they usually accommodating of this request?
Wow, that’s pretty presumptive of room assigners to automatically give a king bed if only two are on the reservation! The only time I’ve been automatically given a king bed that I didn’t request was when I was the only person on the reservation.

Weird though it seems, that is the standard procedure, since they presume 2 people are a couple or parent/child who won't mind sharing a bed.

So, yeah, you do need to specify when wanting 2 beds for 2 people.

It's possible you may get to the room and find it has a king bed, so be prepared to trot down to the front desk to say that's unsatisfactory, that you must have separate beds.

When I've traveled by myself I've never been given a king bed. The only time I've been given a king bed was at the Yacht Club when my sister and I had split a room. The kicker was that my one request was for 2 queen beds. The front desk tried to sell me on the pull out couch bed as a second sleeping surface. Umm. Nope. The manager ended up getting involved and could see the 2 bed request on the reservation. She said the Yacht Club was full, and gave us a room at Beach Club that, turns out, was a queen bed room with a couch. Umm. Nope. The third room she ended up giving us was a pool view room that was marked for someone who hadn't checked in yet. She also gave a $100 room credit. Moral of the story, if you end up with a king room, being polite yet forceful, can work out in the end.

My husband & I stay at YC 2 -3 times a year for probably the last 20+ years. We very rarely get a king bed. I haven’t ever requested 2 queens so I can’t say if they typically grant that request. But I don’t think a king is the automatic default for 2 people staying in the room. There also are a lot more 2 queen rooms than there are kings, so hopefully you’ll get your request.

My husband & I stay at YC 2 -3 times a year for probably the last 20+ years. We very rarely get a king bed. I haven’t ever requested 2 queens so I can’t say if they typically grant that request. But I don’t think a king is the automatic default for 2 people staying in the room. There also are a lot more 2 queen rooms than there are kings, so hopefully you’ll get your request.

Same here. We have never been given a king without requesting one or being asked at check in if we wanted a king since they had a king room available at that time so we wouldn't have to wait.

StarLime The majority of the rooms are 2 queens so your chances are very good that is what you will get.

It can happen. When Galaxy’s Edge was doing the 6:30 open (bliss). My college-aged son and I did a quick weekend trip down to experience it. We were given a king bed even though I requested 2 queens from Signature Services. Since we checked in around 11pm on a Friday and we’re checking out on Sunday in October, during Food and Wine, there were no queen rooms available in club level in the Epcot area, and we didn’t want to move since we were there solely for HS and Epcot. This was still during the era of FP, so we were given 6 extra FP for each Sat and Sun. We thought that was a good compromise!

I've been given a king bed room twice with two people on the reservation (this is over many years) so I do not believe they "automatically default" but if that's all they have left at the time, it could happen. Once we had it changed, the other it was my mom and I so we shared the bed. Every other time I got a king bed, I was the only person on the reservation and it was an accessible room.

I've stayed at YC many times, only ever either by myself or with 1 other person, and have only ever gotten a king bed room one time (and that's because they knew ahead of time because of an incident, and then trying to make it right for my next trip, that I was coming with my husband for our anniversary trip so we got a room we asked for). I always prefer it when going solo and still never end up with a king.

We have been given a king bed at YC and BC many times and we never request one. In fact, we had king beds on the last two trips. It feels like we are marked in some sort of a secret list that we prefer king beds. Actually, I like two queens so I can read in bed at night. ;)

My family consists of my daughter and me, so only two on our reservation. We’ve stayed at Disney resorts more times than I can count, and we have only been given a room with a king bed once. I’ve never made a request for two queen beds. It just seems to be the default for us.

Last summer, DD and I were given a king bed. After a wait at the front desk, we were moved to a room with 2 queens. We did not have 2 beds listed as a request, however.

I have never been given a king bed (unless specifically booked) when there were just 2 of us - or even when traveling by myself. We were given a king bed once at AoA when there were 2 adults and 1 child tho. That was annoying.

We have been given a king bed at YC and BC many times and we never request one. In fact, we had king beds on the last two trips. It feels like we are marked in some sort of a secret list that we prefer king beds. Actually, I like two queens so I can read in bed at night. ;)

I keep getting assigned a handicapped accessible room even though i don't need it and have never requested it. It feels like I'm on a secret list also.

You just can’t tell these things from a reservation! I’m a solo traveler and yet I like 2 beds so I can spread my stuff out on the second bed without having to put it away. I’m extra lazy on vacation! I didn’t complain the one time I got a King but I was secretly disappointed 😂

OP, put in the request for two beds. Note the reason why at the time. If you end up with no choice there are two options
-call for more pillows and make a pillow fence down the middle
-If that’s not gonna work (I’ll be honest even a pillow fence wouldn’t be ok for me and my brother!) there is enough room on the floor that your brother can man up and leave you the bed. Buy him breakfast in the morning or something as a thank you 😉

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter