Do Disney Store employees get a discount?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the only reason you are going to work there is the discount-- then no, it wouldn't be worth it-- we work WAY too hard during the holiday season :)

If you want to work for Disney to be apart of the magic-- then go for it- I've been there 4 1/2 yrs and wouldn't leave for anything!

here is a link to CM discounts..

and yes....it could be worth it....Link deleted at the request of the webmaster of that website

It is worth it if you love disney. Otherwise, you'd consider it hard work, especially during the holidays. While nice to have, the discount really should have nothing whatsoever to do with it if you truly want to work there as a part of the team.

I am a stay at home mom of 3 children under 5 so I am no stranger to hard work. I love Disney & wish that I lived in Florida so that I could work in the parks. But since I am thousands of miles away, I thought working at the Disney Store may be next best thing.

My question about the discounts was because my husband travels for work & I was wondering if the discounts for vacations etc. would more than pay for hiring a babysitter while I was working.

I was not trying to imply that any Cast Member has an easy job but I thought that the budget board ppl would the most understanding of this type of question.

I had no trouble....it does take a few minutes to load up ....lot of stuff....great looking discounts!!!!!!!!!!!

DON'T GO TO THAT WEBSITE!! It automatically uploads a spyware called Comet Curser!!!! I couldn't figure out how I got it, but I went to the site again after deleting this and it uploaded again.

Don't go there!!

Let's just say that working in a mall store over the Christmas season is about as tough as it gets. You're going to be working pretty hard for those discounts! And it's not just hard work and impossible hours, it's alot of time with grouchy people who are angry at the crowds and will often take it out on you.

Soooo - if you want to work at the Disney store because you want to work for Disney then do it! Otherwise, I personally don't think you'd find it worth your while.

Okay, I appreciate all of your constructive feedback about how hard of a job it is. BUT my real question was, "what is the discount for Disney Store employees". Based on that information, I can make the decision for myself as to whether it is worth my while. I tried the link posted above & it didn't work. Is it a big secret as to what the discounts are???

The manager at my local TDS said the CM's get a 20% merchandise discount on most things, but 10% on videos. I was able to go to that link, and there are discounts on WDW resorts (25-50%) and I THINK - free park admission for the CM. I don't know if the hotel/theme park perks apply to seasonal employees.

This topic came up on the Community board just about a week or 2 ago... basically, no, we aren't supposed to discuss our benefits... I'm not saying no one will ( as you have seen), but maybe you'd have an easier time if you talked to a CM in your local store. Our benefits aren't top secret, but they really aren't supposed to be posted here in such a public forum

Since someone else has already mentioned that a starting CM gets 20%, I can tell you that is true. Sometimes we get surprises during the holiday season, but those vary from year to year.
As for the resort discount, that is totally based on availability and the discount varies by availability.

A seasonal CM will not get any passes that we might receive.

I do not know what you'd pay for a babysitter... but I can tell you for my 4 kids, I pay my babysitter more than I make at The Disney Store ( so I only work when my husband can be home to watch the kids).

I'm sorry if this is still too general... it's about as much as I feel comfortable discussing.

I'm sure a CM a your local store might be able to help you more.

Good Luck!
Kathi

The message everyone is trying very diplomatically to give you is that if you have to know what the discounts/benefits are before deciding to become a Cast Member, then you probably have no business working for Disney. You've indicated that you are a fan of all things Disney and would love to work in the parks, so perhaps working at DS would be a good opportunity for you. However, if you are considering P/T seasonal work (just for the holidays) you should know that 99% of CM benefits will not apply to you. The benefits would only apply during your time of employment.
I hope some or all of these comments will help you with your decision. While your exact question has not been answered (b/c frankly, if one doesn't know what the benefits of working for Disney are, then they don't NEED to know - meaning, they are not a CM), I think you've probably been given enough information to make a decision.
And if not, then take Kathi's suggestion and go speak to a CM in your local DS.

I think that Sorcerer's post pretty much covers it, but since you asked specifically about the hotel/theme park benefit, I will add that, yes we get discounts, but they won't do you any good as a seasonal since the "rule" is that all CM's can't request time off from Nov 1 until Jan 15, which is also the tenure of casuals/seasonals. If you have a party to go to and stuff like that, scheduling can be worked out, and it usually is without a problem. That is in part why we hire casusals, so don't flip out thinking that you will be devoting your whole life to Disney, altho it will feel that way sometimes. But none of us can have a few days off to go to WDW during the Christmas season. It is part of the price we pay to be part of the magic.

On a lighter note, there is no better place to be at Christmas then around people who love Disney. It helps to make up for the Grumpies that come in wondering why we don't have Halloween costumes at Christmas.

The message everyone is trying very diplomatically to give you is that if you have to know what the discounts/benefits are before deciding to become a Cast Member, then you probably have no business working for Disney.

Well - no I wasn't. I for one always want to know what the pay and benefits are before I take a job, and I expect no less from anybody else. I was just trying to say that the job isn't worth it **just** for merchandise and/or ticket discounts that you might get in addition to your pay. I think that there are alot of different things you can do that would be less hectic, earn more money, and would be easier than working ANY retail mall store over the Christmas season.

And -- no I don't think you would earn enough to pay for your babysitting for 3 small children. But I guess that would depend on what your babysitting costs actually are......now if you could somehow work it out with your husband and the store that you would work hours when he is at home, then we might be talking about something else completely.

But honestly - I have no problem at all with somebody who is asking about WORKING at an honest job in order to help her family afford a vacation that they all love. As a matter of fact, I think it's admirable.

disneymania asked: Does anyone know what the discount is for Disney Store employees? Just wonder if it is worth getting a P/T job there for the holidays.

You could ask the Store Manager what discount you would receive as a seasonal cast member when you apply in person at the Disney Store. Any other benefits are applicable only to permanent cast members.

OK, so I should have put "what most of us" instead of "what everyone". I apologize for implying I was speaking for all - I didn't mean it to come out that way.

Yes, getting a job to help make vacations more affordable is admirable, however I think most CMs would agree that more affordable vacations or discounted merchandise should not be the only reason one would consider working at DS.

My advice to anyone considering a job with DS: go to your local DS and speak with the Store Manager or Asst. Store Manager. They will answer your questions for you. A public forum such as this is not appropriate for job related matters ~ at least that is the opinion of the majority of CMs who frequent the DIS. And not only is it our opinion, but we're expected to keep DS information internal. As I've stated before, if one has to ask publicly in a forum such as this, then they probably have no right to know.

I filled out an application at TDS last week, and I am available for all shifts. However - I also noted that I already have plans to be in FL from Nov. 23 - Dec. 4 - so I probably won't even be called for an interview.

Wow, didn't mean to start a major debate over this or offend anyone. I thought that this was just a simple question. Thanks to those of you who gave me the basic piece of information that I asked for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter