DLR Half Marathon 2010

I am considering the Disneyland Half - the bling is tempting. Can I ask though, what is WISH?

Good luck to all participants!

Wish stands for "We are inspired to stay healthy." If you click above on the W.I.S.H. link (at the top of the page to the left of the twitter/facebook images) it will take you to the basics of what you can do to adopt this way of thinking.

Good Luck!

So my wife and I are both ready to sign up, but have a couple of questions. We have a 13 year old daughter and 10 year old son. Wife and I are both planning on the half. Our 13 year old daughter would also like to do the half. She is very fit and matches me stride for stride on training runs. Son also thinks he wants to do the half, but that's just not realistic. The questions I have are:

1)How strict is the 14 year old requirement for the half? Do you have to provide proof of age or can we just sign her up and say she's 14?
2)Since our son can only do the 5k on Saturday can my wife or I accompany him without paying another $50 in registration fee? Seems since we would both be doing the half maybe we wouldn't have to.
3)And just out of curiosity, why is this scheduled for Labor Day weekend? Isn't that a time that would normally see large crowds without an event like this?

TIA for any input!

So my wife and I are both ready to sign up, but have a couple of questions. We have a 13 year old daughter and 10 year old son. Wife and I are both planning on the half. Our 13 year old daughter would also like to do the half. She is very fit and matches me stride for stride on training runs. Son also thinks he wants to do the half, but that's just not realistic. The questions I have are:

1)How strict is the 14 year old requirement for the half? Do you have to provide proof of age or can we just sign her up and say she's 14?
2)Since our son can only do the 5k on Saturday can my wife or I accompany him without paying another $50 in registration fee? Seems since we would both be doing the half maybe we wouldn't have to.
3)And just out of curiosity, why is this scheduled for Labor Day weekend? Isn't that a time that would normally see large crowds without an event like this?

TIA for any input!

I ran with a lady in the half at Disneyworld that had just about the identical situation. Her daughter was also 13 and they would not accept her due to the 14 year old requirement. I didn't get into the specifics of how they proved that, but based on them asking for identification that included your birthdate when you picked up your bib, I would imagine that they would require a birth certificate. She can do it next year. :)

In order to accompany your son, you do have to pay the registration fee. You get a medal and essentially you are paying for that. You pay for each race, not the weekend and there are no exceptions nor are they transferable. I know a few people who tried to get into the 5k that were registered for the half and they would have had to pay the additional money. So, they sucked it up and ran the half.

Labor Day is just what Disney chose. It appears that it has been that way since the beginning. With people already having time off due to the holiday, it makes it a bit easier to get out there and it also means there are more people to cheer you on along the way!

The Disney people are very responsive with questions - and I believe the contact e-mail is on the registration page. It never took very long to get an answer so I would recommend contacting them for more specifics. Good Luck!

Actually, the first DL half was around the 3rd weekend in Sept, not Labor Day weekend. From what I understand, having it on Labor Day weekend is better all around for Disney - logistically. I would prefer a different weekend due to the large crowds in the parks during the Labor Day holiday. :crazy:

Okay, add me to the official list of people who is considering doing the DL half. I'll have to see how everything shakes out in terms of scheduling and all... but I'm very very tempted.

Actually, the first DL half was around the 3rd weekend in Sept, not Labor Day weekend. From what I understand, having it on Labor Day weekend is better all around for Disney - logistically. I would prefer a different weekend due to the large crowds in the parks during the Labor Day holiday. :crazy:

Exactly what I was thinking!

Happy Easter! I just got my aunt to sign up for the Half Marathon. :thumbsup2.

She ran the very first one in 06. I am here a her house and she showed me her medal box. She has run lots of races. This is the first time I have seen the Disneyland medal. It's alot bigger than I had thought.

Count me in can't wait to see what the 5th anniversary medal & race bibs look like. This will be the second time my family and I run & walk the DLHM. We ran & walked DLHM in 2007 during the blistering SoCal heat wave. Hoping it is much cooler this year. :cool2:

So I already registered dh for the 1/2 marathon portion but am now getting ready to register myself and dd 10 for the 5K event and had to stop at shirt size question. For those who have run before, is it a tech shirt or standard t shirt for the 5k event? And if so, for either one, how is the sizing? Seeing as there is no separate mens/ womens sizes offering, I am assuming standard t shirt sizing but wanted to be sure.

Also, can shirts be exchanged for different sizes at packet pickup day if needed? I am guessing no as they would rightfully order only what was needed but thought I would make sure :-)

Thanks everyone! SO pumped up to be a part of this event!!!

Just bumping us up since someone asked about a thread for the race on the other thread re: registration being open.

19 weeks to go!!

We are totally booked now! Flying in on Friday and staying through Tuesday. It will be my only trip to Disney this year and I am hoping to jam a lot of fun into those five days. Great that Disney is running the 5 for 3 deal on tickets. That saved us quite a bit. We are staying at the Del Sol - right across the street. It is pretty bare bones, but has a mini fridge and microwave, so we will hit a store on the way from the airport. Filling up 3 rooms in the place for me, my parents, and my sis in law. there will be 4 of us running. Should be fun!

So I already registered dh for the 1/2 marathon portion but am now getting ready to register myself and dd 10 for the 5K event and had to stop at shirt size question. For those who have run before, is it a tech shirt or standard t shirt for the 5k event? And if so, for either one, how is the sizing? Seeing as there is no separate mens/ womens sizes offering, I am assuming standard t shirt sizing but wanted to be sure.

Also, can shirts be exchanged for different sizes at packet pickup day if needed? I am guessing no as they would rightfully order only what was needed but thought I would make sure :-)

Thanks everyone! SO pumped up to be a part of this event!!!

I didn't run the 5K last year, but I saw the shirts. They were standard T-shirts for that event. The half is a tech shirt. It seemed that they were all men's sizing (if that is what you mean by standard sizing). There were people standing around asking for different sizes, but I dont' know if Disney did an exchange or not.

Sorry I am not more helpful. I am sure someone else has better information than I do.

My Mom and I are now officially registered! This will be my third DL half and her 2nd. Last year was coast to coast for us, this year for the 5th anniversary medal and to see all the WISHers!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter