DLR Half Marathon 2010

3TinksAndAnEeyore

DIS Veteran
I'd love to hear from someone who has run the Disneyland Resort 1/2 marathon. I'd especially love to hear if there are any other people looking at running this 1/2 marathon next Labor Day weekend! And, even more, I'd love to hear from other people (like myself) who are considering running this 1/2 marathon who have never run one before and are doing this because a) they love Disney and b) it's an inspirational way to get into shape.

We just bought APs to DLR. This was largely endorsed by my DH because of my interest in building up to running a 1/2 marathon. Right now, I'm going to focus on running a simple 5K by Valentine's Day and keep working from there.

My first 1/2 marathon was this race back in 2006 and it's the only 1/2 marathon I've ran since then! I'm sure this is largely because it's Disney. For me, this race has it all for my family. I do the 1/2 marathon, my wife and son do the 5k, and my daughter runs the kids race. So it's a great family weekend for us. We make our weekend "magical" by staying onsite at the DLH for a couple of reasons:
1) We like the DLH
2) This is the closest hotel to the finish and start of the 1/2 marathon (this is a blessing as I'm too tired to walk or drive back any further than this hotel!)
I don't have any other 1/2 marathon to compare it to but I think this is a great race for your first 1/2 marathon. Am I running this event next year? You bet!

I'll be there, too. This was my 2nd half marathon (the first was WDW).

Terri

There are lots here who have done the DL 1/2 and will be doing it again.
I did it back in 2008 as it was the first year of the Coast to Coast medal.
I will be going in 2010 as it will be the 5 year anniversary of it. Flying in from South Florida. I mainly do it to see my West Coast Racing WISH buddies, see family that lives out there, the Coast to Coast medal and to do some Disney stuff. It is not my first, probably at that time will be my 13th Half.

-Tracy

My best friend and I are planning on walking it. We've been walking a few days a week and varying our distances, with the furthest distance being 7 miles so far. The only other event I've ever done is the 5K Race for the Cure, so I'm excited. I'm also doing this as a motivation to get in shape and an excuse to go to Disneyland!

I did this race back in 2006 and am aiming to do it again in 2011 (for the Coast 2 coast). It is a flat course that is well supported. In 2006 the race ran through the parks at the start then out through the city before finishing at downtown Disney. With the construction the course has changed since then and I am not sure if it will change again 2010.

The race has a very different feel than the WDW races. Because of all the property in Florida the races never leave WDW property. This is nice but it is a very different feeling then you get at most half/full marathons throughout the country. The DL half gives you the best of both worlds. You get the runs through the park, the big medal, and all the Disney extras but you also get to experience what a non-Disney run is like. You get to run past the businesses and parking lots and get to see the city. While you are off property it feels like a marathon in any other city with the residents coming out to support the runners. That is the one thing you miss at WDW that you ge tat DL, the feel of running through an actual city, not just on Disney property.

It is a great race and I think you will enjoy it.

I did this race this year (2009) and it was my first half marathon. I am planning on doing it again next year too. I walked the race last year and finished in 3 hours. I am hoping to add some running intervals in this year and improve the time.

It was so much fun! It is a great race for you to do as your first half marathon.

I did 2009 as my first long distance race for the very reasons you mention. I enjoy Disneyland and I wanted to make my first half-marathon memorable. I walked away anxious to do my next race. The support along the course was amazing and I felt it was a well organized event.

I am planning on running it again next year while my wife will be running in the 5k, my 4 year old ran in the kids' race this year and is excited to do it again next year and our newborn son will be crawling/walking in the diaper dash.

If you plan it right, it can be a great fun-filled weekend.

I too ran the 08 DLH for the coast to coast bling....

I will not run again. It was just not that fun to me. Maybe it was the weather (not hot but cloudy that morning) or maybe the course - kind of uninspiring run through warehouse parks. I really think that getting the miles in through July and August in hot and humid Houston just make ME not have the desire to run it again.

But do not let my negative opinion cause you to not run. I applaud you for 'getting into shape" to get through the event. Remember to train well for the event. Find a plan that you think will work for you and your lifestyle. See a doctor if you are coming off the couch and make sure to take at least one day off a week. You do not have to run the remaining 6 days, you can get by with 3 and run a sub2 hour event if you train to the proper intensities.

Good luck in your training!

I did it for the first time this September. (Not my first half) I enjoyed it. We got to run around the inside of Anaheim stadium as well as through DL. Got the Coast 2 Coast medal. Not sure if I'll be going back since I'm trying to get other states logged in for my halfs.

I think you will have fun with it and you've got great reasons to do so.

DL 2008 was my very first 1/2. I signed up for it to get the medal. Plus, I'm local (but stay onsite at the DLH for convenience!). Since then, I've run the WDW full, Princess 1/2, and this year's DL 1/2! I'm definitely doing it next year for the 5th anniversary! Not sure if I will be getting the 2010 C2C, though, as I'm still not sure if I will be making it to princess...

Anyway, it's a GREAT first race. The course is pretty flat, and it's DISNEY!

There's a 70-80% chance of me doing this in 2010. Planning on tying it in with a few days in Vegas. We have to work on hotels/flights/etc in a couple of months (when we hit the 7 month DVC window) & then I'll know for sure. It will be my 6th or 7th 1/2.

We just bought APs to DLR. This was largely endorsed by my DH because of my interest in building up to running a 1/2 marathon. Right now, I'm going to focus on running a simple 5K by Valentine's Day and keep working from there.

That's fantastic! I'll be there too although I think by then I will have something like 8 races under my belt. I have never done the DL and I look forward to it! For one thing I can't wait to have pictures with racing Mickey and racing Minnie and all the rest of the Disney gang! It's good you're starting now that means you have a lot of time to get half marathon fit. Are you using a training schedule? Lots of websites have them and they help a lot. You can totally do it and hooray to DH for supporting you! :dance3:

I am right there with you.

I went on a trip to the UK in October 2008 to see Manchester United play. When I got back, I took a look at my pictures and was horrified by what I saw. But pictures don't lie. My godchild was born in November, and in December I decided I needed to change, a couple things.

On December 12th, I went into my 24 hour fitness, which I had been a member of for 5 months, but never used, and asked about a trainer, because I decided I needed to learn how to work out. The guy was great and we set up a meeting for the next week. He wanted me to figure out what I wanted and to set some goals.

December 19th started my journey. I was right about 240 when I stepped on that evil scale (been a LONG time before that since I had actually been on one of those). We talked and set up 3 goals that I wanted to use as points in my journey.

1...Run the Cirque de Solea 5k in March in Vegas.
2...Run the Pat Tillman run in Tempe in April.
3...Run the Disneyland Half Marathon in September.

I started with learning how to work out and how to use a treadmill. Then it went into "jogging" outside. A minute at a time to start. Then longer distance and repitions.

Each of the goals I set gave me that 'something' to shoot for and work towards. My first 5K was about 35 minutes and I was pushed by a little 10 year old kid that was "racing" me the whole way. HAHAHA I beat him. But more importantly I finished. Pat's Run was everything I imagined it would be, and by then I had so much fun running that I added a 5K happening in Tempe the next morning, and had my fastest run to that date.

Finally. Running through the Vegas summer, getting up at 5am to run before the heat hit, getting to the parks late on my trips to Disneyland because I had to get my runs in...they were all just little things towards that final goal. I ran the katella, harbor, disneyway, loop around the parks on one of my runs and it was amazing to thing that I would be running 13 miles soon. When a year ago, I would have had issues running 1 block.

Use the run as your goal and inspiration. You will be with 10,000 other runners who love the mouse. I ran with a pace group (highly suggested) and one of the ladies was dressed as Tigger and she would "bounce" when people yelled out at her. The 13 miles went by so smoothly and quickly. Enjoy the training. Take the good runs with the bad runs and remember that you are changing your life for the better. Running through the parks with the characters cheering you on is one of those experience you will talk about forever.

I just ran my 2nd half marathon here in Vegas today and am running a full in January at Walt Disney World. I run 10-11 minute miles and will never be an elite runner. I go to kick boxing classes twice a week. I have lost over 50 pounds now. I have gotten my life back and know I have a chance to spend more time with the people I love. And I can not wait to get back there and do my 2nd Disneyland Half this coming year!

You can do it! :cheer2: Have FUN!!!!!!!!!!

I am right there with you.

I went on a trip to the UK in October 2008 to see Manchester United play. When I got back, I took a look at my pictures and was horrified by what I saw. But pictures don't lie. My godchild was born in November, and in December I decided I needed to change, a couple things.

On December 12th, I went into my 24 hour fitness, which I had been a member of for 5 months, but never used, and asked about a trainer, because I decided I needed to learn how to work out. The guy was great and we set up a meeting for the next week. He wanted me to figure out what I wanted and to set some goals.

December 19th started my journey. I was right about 240 when I stepped on that evil scale (been a LONG time before that since I had actually been on one of those). We talked and set up 3 goals that I wanted to use as points in my journey.

1...Run the Cirque de Solea 5k in March in Vegas.
2...Run the Pat Tillman run in Tempe in April.
3...Run the Disneyland Half Marathon in September.

I started with learning how to work out and how to use a treadmill. Then it went into "jogging" outside. A minute at a time to start. Then longer distance and repitions.

Each of the goals I set gave me that 'something' to shoot for and work towards. My first 5K was about 35 minutes and I was pushed by a little 10 year old kid that was "racing" me the whole way. HAHAHA I beat him. But more importantly I finished. Pat's Run was everything I imagined it would be, and by then I had so much fun running that I added a 5K happening in Tempe the next morning, and had my fastest run to that date.

Finally. Running through the Vegas summer, getting up at 5am to run before the heat hit, getting to the parks late on my trips to Disneyland because I had to get my runs in...they were all just little things towards that final goal. I ran the katella, harbor, disneyway, loop around the parks on one of my runs and it was amazing to thing that I would be running 13 miles soon. When a year ago, I would have had issues running 1 block.

Use the run as your goal and inspiration. You will be with 10,000 other runners who love the mouse. I ran with a pace group (highly suggested) and one of the ladies was dressed as Tigger and she would "bounce" when people yelled out at her. The 13 miles went by so smoothly and quickly. Enjoy the training. Take the good runs with the bad runs and remember that you are changing your life for the better. Running through the parks with the characters cheering you on is one of those experience you will talk about forever.

I just ran my 2nd half marathon here in Vegas today and am running a full in January at Walt Disney World. I run 10-11 minute miles and will never be an elite runner. I go to kick boxing classes twice a week. I have lost over 50 pounds now. I have gotten my life back and know I have a chance to spend more time with the people I love. And I can not wait to get back there and do my 2nd Disneyland Half this coming year!

You can do it! :cheer2: Have FUN!!!!!!!!!!

What an inspirational story!!! It's fantastic how you turned your life around!!!

As everyone else is headed to WDW for Marathon weekend, my thoughts are turning to the Disneyland Half. I haven't signed up yet, but I am sure I am going to. I did it last year (my first endurance race) and it was a blast. I am adding running now, having walked the 2009 race.

I know most of the other WISHers are headed East, but with the Coast to Coast medal on the line there have to be some planning on DL 1/2! It should be a good time for all.

(I am trying to convince myself to shell over the money - but I haven't done it yet. Even harder I am trying to convince DH :) )

Hi.

I just signed up for the Disneyland 1/2. I'm excited and scared. :rotfl: I am not a runner at all but I figure I have months to train. For the past 4 years I have wanted to do this but things always come up and I have decided that 2010 is my year and I am doing things for ME! :thumbsup2

I have never run anything in my life but I am determined to at least jog this 1/2 Marathon.

Does anyone have any sort of training guide that would be good to use because I don't even know where to begin besides just going out and running. I want to find some sort of program that will build up my distance gradually.

If all goes well with this 1/2 them my goal is to run the L.A. Marathon in 2011 in honor of turning 30. :scared1: Yikes! Lol.

I am not much of a runner myself. I have been a walker most of my life. I participated in the Couch to 5K program this fall, it was a good way to introduce running into my exercise routine. I don't know if you are beyond that already (it gets you to where you can run 30 minutes or 3 miles). If you are beyond that then you are already past me :laughing: So far I have just tried to add more time and miles as I go.

I am signed up for a half in February too. I think for that one I will do intervals of 5/2 R/W. Maybe I will be able to run the entire time for the DL 1/2!

Hi.

I just signed up for the Disneyland 1/2. I'm excited and scared. :rotfl: I am not a runner at all but I figure I have months to train. For the past 4 years I have wanted to do this but things always come up and I have decided that 2010 is my year and I am doing things for ME! :thumbsup2

I have never run anything in my life but I am determined to at least jog this 1/2 Marathon.

Does anyone have any sort of training guide that would be good to use because I don't even know where to begin besides just going out and running. I want to find some sort of program that will build up my distance gradually.

If all goes well with this 1/2 them my goal is to run the L.A. Marathon in 2011 in honor of turning 30. :scared1: Yikes! Lol.

I used the book "Half-Marathon: You Can Do It" by Jeff Galloway. I thought his philosophy on running would be the best way to get across the finish line and it did, much faster than I expected.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter