DL and what else can we do?

busymomma123

DIS Veteran
We've decided to do a trip to DL in May for 2 days. We would like to go to a Dodgers game that will be toward the end of the trip but do something like Catalina Island for like 3 days before DL and the Dodgers game. After watching videos, it doesn't look like Catalina Island would be enough to fill 3 days. We would like to do something more relaxing like a beach or something instead of sightseeing Hollywood. Any suggestions? We will be there from a Monday to a Sunday. Are we able to drive from a DL hotel to the Dodgers game or do we need to change hotels closer to LA?

If you leave early enough, Dodger Stadium should be fine. Get there in plenty of time since traffic is always unpredictable.

As for other stuff, maybe the Getty Center or Getty Villa? They're free but parking has a charge. Apparently one parking fee is good for both if you reserve on the same day.

https://www.getty.edu/visit/center/
https://www.getty.edu/visit/villa

I would have normally recommended the California Science Center, but I'm not sure since the Space Shuttle is off display now as they set up the new building.

https://californiasciencecenter.org

When you say "we" what ages are you talking about? Are you looking for beach activities (surfing, biking, paddle boarding, whale watching, etc) or more of a resort experience? If you are looking for a resort on the coast, check out Terranea. It is not cheap, but is absolutely gorgeous.

If you are staying in the South Bay, you can take Metro to Dodger Stadium. You would need to park at Harbor Gateway Transit Center, but that is easier than driving out to the stadium and paying for parking.

I'm not a Museum person - but recall finding the Huntington Museum in Pasadena so relaxing, and it's reasonably close to Dodger Stadium, that, the La Brea Tar Pits, or the Getty Museum might add a nice Los Angeles day trip if the weather is nice.

I'm not a Museum person - but recall finding the Huntington Museum in Pasadena so relaxing, and it's reasonably close to Dodger Stadium, that, the La Brea Tar Pits, or the Getty Museum might add a nice Los Angeles day trip if the weather is nice.

I think the Huntington is in San Marino. My family calls it the Huntington Library, for its research library collections. But I though the big feature is the botanical garden.

If there’s enough time, I like Santa Barbara. Maybe even a few hours in Solvang.

There's a pretty wide variety of things to do. If you want a more thrilling theme park, there's Six Flags Magic Mountain or Universal Hollywood. The Art Museum, Academy Museum, Auto Museum, and Tar Pits are all right near each other and would be a whole day. Long Beach has a nice selection of shops and attractions that could fill a day. Huntington BEach, Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach, or Torrance Beach would all work for a beach day. Joshua Tree or Palm Springs are both longer drives, but doable in a day.

Book the Walt Disney Studios tour on D23! (sign up to be a member if you aren't one already). I just did that tour last month and it was amazing! FYI It is a 2.5 walking tour. After the tour, we met up with some friends for lunch in Old Pasadena, walked around and it was a nice leisure day.

Simple, visit LA. There’s literally hundreds of things to do which could easily fill a week or 2.
La Brea Tarpits, Griffith Park (with about a dozen attractions in itself), Getty Villa and Center, Santa Monica, Malibu, Petersen Automotive Museum (movie and race cars), Original Farmers Market, Grand Central Market, Olvera Street, The Grove, Beverly Hills, The Grove (cool shopping center next to the Farmers Market), Manhattan Beach, LA Live, The Broad museum, Disney Concert Hall, Aquarium of the Pacific, the Queen Mary, Warner Bros, Sony and Paramount Studio Tours and tons more. I haven’t even mentioned Hollywood which doesn’t take long to visit, couple of hours would usually suffice. Then there’s Universal Studios.

Plenty to do in Orange County (where Disneyland is). Knott's Berry Farm, Six Flags Magic Mountain, Newport Beach, Huntington Beach, Laguna Beach, Dana Point, Outlets at Orange, Angel Stadium, The Packing District, South Coast Plaza and the Crystal Cathedral.

Or visit San Diego, plenty to do there as well. Not like these are tiny remote villages.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter